5 replies to this topic

#1 tater1337 OFFLINE  

tater1337

Space Invader

• 10 posts

Posted Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:44 PM

Hi

I went to a hamfest/swapmeet the other weekend

and there i saw it a TI 99 4A, the first computer i ever bought, back when I was 13

I thought 'I'm 50 now, I can afford to splurge on something nostalgic, considering it has formed my career life since I got it'

bought it, hooked it up, no light on RF modulator

hmm, maybe I should check on the net to see if there is some info

many google searches later (and all the youtube videos and a purchase off craigslist for another unit) I go to a forum and post

Hi

I went to a hamfest/swapmeet the other weekend....

so I am not quite sure where to start
(FYI, din plugs from amazon are on the way to build cable to test while waiting for delivery of other 4A unit)

#2 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• 9,235 posts
  • "Excuse me, sir? I have a question ..."

Posted Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:09 PM

The original TI external RF modulators were and are notoriously flaky; even back in the day, I had a lot of trouble with the DIN-5 connectors and went through several replacements.  Fortunately, the DIN-5 port on the 99/4A outputs clean composite video and audio signals, so with a simple cable, you can connect it directly to the yellow/white inputs on newer TVs without having to deal with RF at all.  Here is one such cable (not mine):

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 142838271907

#3 xabin ONLINE  

xabin

Chopper Commander

• 125 posts

Posted Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:40 PM

We have that kind of problem, too. No one told us that the RF modulator were flaky. We'll feel really dumb if it turns out it is the RF modulator, this time...

To the OP: Are you having the same visuals we're getting, ie. snowy/black screen with an audio buzz?

Edited by xabin, Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:50 PM.

#4 tater1337 OFFLINE  

tater1337

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:33 PM

We have that kind of problem, too. No one told us that the RF modulator were flaky. We'll feel really dumb if it turns out it is the RF modulator, this time...

To the OP: Are you having the same visuals we're getting, ie. snowy/black screen with an audio buzz?

none at all

but i did some tinkering and got a cable to give me video, if I hold the wires just right :)

like I said, I am waiting for the 5 pin DINs to show up and i'll make my own cable. played a few carts, the 2nd 4a has a boatload of carts

#5 Airshack OFFLINE  

Airshack

Dragonstomper

• 999 posts

Posted Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:10 AM

Even a working RF modulator is vastly inferior to the composite out. I’d recommend ordering a composite cable. The C-64 and Atari 800/400 cables work on the TI-99/4A as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#6 xabin ONLINE  

xabin

Chopper Commander

• 125 posts

Posted Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:33 AM

none at all

but i did some tinkering and got a cable to give me video, if I hold the wires just right :)

like I said, I am waiting for the 5 pin DINs to show up and i'll make my own cable. played a few carts, the 2nd 4a has a boatload of carts

Okay, make sure it is the RF that's the problem first; before you mess around with the other stuff. Don't be like my boyfriend and me, please : /

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users