Photo

An observation on Activision games

8 replies to this topic

#1 Jason_Atari OFFLINE  

Jason_Atari

Moonsweeper

• 484 posts

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:04 AM

I was playing a round of spider fighter the other day and something dawned on me. I don't think there are any Activision games that have sprite flicker. Would that be intentional either due to sprite placement or good programming? Your thoughts?

#2 Cambouis de l'Atari OFFLINE  

Cambouis de l'Atari

Moonsweeper

• 299 posts
  • Also known as "Urbinoo"

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:18 AM

Now that you tell it, yes indeed ! Probably their quest for perfection, as they also hide the hmove bars : )

#3 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

You can't handle the truth. No truth-handler, you.

• 16,201 posts
  • I deride your truth-handling abilities.

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:06 AM

I don't think there are any Activision games that have sprite flicker. Would that be intentional either due to sprite placement or good programming? Your thoughts?

That, and they designed around the limitations of the hardware. Until the very late stage of the company, they never did any arcade ports, so they could do what worked instead of trying to copy much more powerful hardware. 

#4 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

***Moon Patrol 5200*** *Moon Master2015* *Blue Max:Class 4*

• 7,784 posts
  • *Star Raiders 2* **Captain -CL 2**

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:32 AM

I think it was magic or some future technology.

At least that was the way it seemed growing up.

#5 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 24,031 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:18 AM

Activision had a strict "no flicker" policy. So they had to designs their games accordingly. Either by editing/limiting the graphic layout or by using advanced programming techniques.

#6 zzip ONLINE  

zzip

River Patroller

• 2,661 posts

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:29 AM

They were definitely graphical wizards.   I remember being amazed at the first Activision title I saw, Tennis.   Up until then, most 2600 games had very blocky looking graphics (Air-Sea battle, Adventure, Dodge-Em to name a few).  I think they forced other companies to up their game.  Even Atari's game featured much more detailed graphics after Activision hit the scene.

#7 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 9,448 posts

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:01 AM

I seem to remember they had a policy of minimal flicker, and while not necessarily original ideas, most games were made to fit into Atari limitations, so it worked well.

The quality of game design, in addition to most games being actually run was why Activision was one of the top games for the 2600 for me.

#8 RichG1972 OFFLINE  

RichG1972

Dragonstomper

• 699 posts
  • I've played Atari today.....have you?

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:35 PM

The way I see it, Activision designed their games according to their OWN rules, not according to a corporate mentality.  When the people that started Activision worked for Atari, they could only design the games the way the "powers that be" at Atari wanted it done, but when they LEFT Atari and formed Activision, they were able to do things the way THEY wanted to do it and in turn took a better approach and we ended up with BETTER games, and if anyone that worked for Activision during that time is a member here they can say whether my hunch is right or not

#9 retroeight OFFLINE  

retroeight

Star Raider

• 80 posts

Posted Today, 6:42 AM

I believe ghost busters or rampage has flicker.

They also don't have those lines on the left.

lloyd

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users