IGNORED

Are older Dell Laptops worth anything?

82-T/A

I have a Dell M1530 laptop... it's a Core 2 Duo, 2.7Ghz, 8 gb of ram, 500mb Seagate Hybrid drive... some other stuff... the laptop is totally loaded. It's immaculate too... doesn't have shiny keys or anything. I used it to do all the research papers for my bachelors degree, and also half way through one of my Masters. I used an external keyboard, and an external monitor...

I see them selling for $200 on eBay, but none of them are actually selling. Is it even worth putting it on eBay? It's immaculate inside and out...

LOL you guys and your ancient computer collections. :lolblue:

I'd say maybe it's worth something as a donation to a needy cause. Take all your personal info off of it, maybe install Linux instead of restoring Windows, and see if your favorite tax-exempt charity could use it. Or recycle it responsibly. https://www.tceq.texas.gov/p2/recycle/electronics/computer-recycling.html

I'll bet if you put it on your local Freecycle board you'd have ten people eager to take it off your hands.

Typing this on my cheesy Acer TravelMate B which I got with no OS from ebay for $80 a few years ago. It's been a fun way to toodle around with Linux Mint.

200 is a silly price. I bought and sold old i5 HP Envy laptops for nearly half that on European ebay.

With Win 7 it still can be pretty useful though - it will probably run most common programs such as office suites, browser and email with perfectly acceptable speed. It can be used as a cheap secondary machine for a server, torrent box or whatever. For many people on tight budget these old machines are great alternative to overpowered pricey modern ones. Common problem is the dying battery but you can either run it off the cord or look for a cheap replacement.

I sold one very similar to that for 40 bucks

I also bought just a couple months ago a hp pizzabox desktop with a i3 3220,8 gig, 250gig hard drive for 50 bucks shipped

So you might be able to get some.money out of it but no frills commidity computers can be had for next to nothing all day long from about a thousand places

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

LOL you guys and your ancient computer collections. :lolblue:

Yeah... that's the thing, I don't want to keep it, but at the same time I'm having a hard time getting rid of it. But... it's hit my 6-month rule. If I haven't used it in 6 months, I need to get rid of it.

It's in awesome shape, has a brand new battery (the extra capacity one). Yeah, it'll probably run Linux quite well.. it is 64-bit also.

It's loaded up as it was when it was new... original DELL OEM version of Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate, with the special HPA loaded on the drive for Dell's "Media Environment" ... you know where you hit a special button and the computer boots up with a Linux-based media player, rather than the default Windows system.

I've got all the original manuals and stuff too.

I guess I'll delete my profile, CC cleaner, and run a slack-space cleaner and then sell it as-is. I don't really have much on it since I re-loaded the OS after I finished my Masters several years ago.

It comes with a brand new "extended" battery, and then the normal battery.

It also comes with the leather-bound case with the original CDs and manuals.

Also comes with a remote control (which fits into the side of the computer).

Has BlueTooth, SD-Card slot, 3G Wireless Card, Wifi Card, camera, speakers with teeny tiny subwoofer, Core 2 Duo w/ 2.5Ghz processors (fastest allowed on this chassis), and 4 gigs of ram, 500 Gig Seagate Hybrid drive, and also... Intel ReadyBoost card that buffers the hard drive further. Also... biometrics, and a few other things.

Also comes installed with a "clean" Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium, fully patched up to the day it hit End of Life.

The laptop is totally flawless... it's like it's brand new.

Edited by 82-T/A