IGNORED

Has anyone ever made a Jaguar gamepad adaptor for the Sega Genesis?

CaptainBreakout

Why?

Both the Genesis pad and the Jaguar pad have more buttons than pins on the connector, so you have to select beforehand which set of buttons you want to read. Which buttons are grouped together is not the same for both consoles, and it is not possible to solve this only by using wires.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 2

Both the Genesis pad and the Jaguar pad have more buttons than pins on the connector, so you have to select beforehand which set of buttons you want to read. Which buttons are grouped together is not the same for both consoles, and it is not possible to solve this only by using wires.

Yep, I know this. My question was why would someone want to use a Jag controller on a Genesis? Who has ever thought, "this Genesis controller is garbage, I need something better like a Jaguar controller."

• Like 6

Heh... Well I guess that's me... But those aren't exactly my reasons. Since it's been asked, here they are...

1) I'm looking for another justification to buy the new Jaguar AA pro controller.

2) I need a gamepad for my 7800 anyway, and I've ordered one of the Edladdin seagull adaptors, and wondered if I could make it work in combination with a Best Electronics jagpad adaptor (which I'm considering).

3) I have big hands.

I have a Genesis pad that was modd'ed to work on a jag. I will have to open it and see how it was done. Also have a Genesis pad with a rotary, which doesnt work as well as a Jaguar

Rotary Pad.

Pics!, also I am from Colorado, good to see another Jag enthusiast!

First off: the original Genesis pad has 8 inputs (UDLR ABC Start) and 9 pins, which could mean that the 9th pin is ground and that's how the inputs are activated. But that's not actually how it works; to my knowledge, the only "modern" game system that has direct pin-to-input wiring is the NeoGeo AES. Every other system uses a form of communication over the controller pins, not simply a digital on-off signal.

So, for example: the NES has 8 inputs (UDLR BA SelectStart) and a 7-pin controller, the SNES has 12 inputs (add YX LR) and a differently-shaped 7-pin controller, but the SNES and NES are pin compatible, meaning that if you take a NES extension cable and a SNES extension cable, cut them in half and (properly) splice them into two new M-F cables, you would have one cable that allows you to use NES controllers on SNES and another that allows you to use SNES controllers on NES. (NES BA maps to SNES YB, but the other inputs are consistent.) No microchips necessary, just dumb copper.

Long story short, it's not about the number of pins or buttons, but rather about getting the controller to speak the correct language. And that would, indeed, require some ICs to do the translation.

There's are two company at the forefront of controller adapters right now. For older consoles, it's Raphnet Technologies:

https://www.raphnet-tech.com/

For newer consoles, it's Brook:

http://www.brookaccessory.com/

Edited by Spider-Dan
  • Like 2

I decided to take the plunge and buy the Best Electronics Jagpad controller adaptor. There's not a lot of specific information I can find on it, so I'll just see what it does.

Apparently it's not such a good 7800 solution by itself, according to one report. Hopefully the Seagull might make it work as a proper 7800 gamepad.

It seems intended to make the Jagpad function as a 2600 controller, but also states it works as a 7800 and Atari computer/commodore controller. I asked Best if it would work as a Sega Genesis controller. The answer I got back was "it should". Okaaaay.

I did find out that the "A" button is mapped to be the Atari ST right mouse button, which I found out is controller pin number 9. This is also button C on a 3-button Genesis pad, so hopefully this thing will work on a Edladdin Seagull as a 7800 gamepad at least.

I'll report back here after I get all this stuff and write what I find...

I'll give it an A if this adaptor makes a jagpad work as a proper 3-button Genesis controller (with Start), a B if it works as a 7800 with the seagull, and a C if it works as an acceptable 2600 controller.

• Like 3

A and B share the same pin on the Genesis as do Start/C, it's a difference of low or high. I would doubt this adapter will let you use a Jag controller on a Genesis with all buttons functioning correctly.

Right. I'm just hoping for 7800 functionality at this point. It will be interesting to see what it does on the Edladdin adaptor.

There's room for a pleasant surprise possibly, since Genesis was mentioned in Best's maze-like webpage, and it appears the adaptor is at least able to decode whatever matrixing the jagpad itself is doing.

I'll find out in a week or so.

Yep, I know this. My question was why would someone want to use a Jag controller on a Genesis? Who has ever thought, "this Genesis controller is garbage, I need something better like a Jaguar controller."

Because you'd be stuffing 64 bits of goodness into a 16-bit port. Surely that must feel good, no?

• Like 5

I'll report back here after I get all this stuff and write what I find...

I'll give it an A if this adaptor makes a jagpad work as a proper 3-button Genesis controller (with Start), a B if it works as a 7800 with the seagull, and a C if it works as an acceptable 2600 controller.

I was also thinking of trying out the Best Electronics adapter, so I'm really interested to hear back on the results!

• Like 2

Talking Jagpad of course:

The Best adapter paired with the Seagull78 does allow for 2-button play on the 7800 - yay! Using an Atari gamepad on an Atari system is nice, BUT... button spacing is off for games like Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest, so I still prefer to use an NES style pad for that game.

The Best adapter allows for 2-button play on the 2600 for games like Super Cobra Arcade and Space Rocks. Or basically any game/hack designed for a Genesis pad.

The Best adapter allows for 2-button play on Amiga computers as well.

2-button Amiga games:

1943 (WHDLoad)

ADoom

After the War [Dinamic] (WHDload: 2nd button=Kick)

Agony (WHDLoad/original?)

Aladdin

Alien 3

Alien Bash 2

Alien Breed (WHDLoad: 2nd button=Access Intex; CD32 joypad support: Switch Weapon/Pause, Forward+Reverse+Play=Quit to WB, Yellow=Open Map, Forward+Reverse=Quit Current Game)

Alien Breed 2

Alien Breed - Tower Assault (CD32 joypad support)

Alien Breed 3D (CD32 only?)

Alien Breed 3D2 - The Killing Grounds (CD32 joypad support)

Apidya

Arabian Nights (CD32 only, 3 Assignable Buttons: Attack, Inventory On/Off, Jump)

Astro Marine Corps (WHDLoad)

Badlands (WHDLoad: 2nd button=Fire Bullets/Missiles)

Banshee

Base Jumpers (All _except_ CD32: 2nd button=Bonus points when pressed a few times)

Battle Squadron (WHDLoad)

BC Kid

Black Viper

Blastar [Core] (2nd button=Smart bomb)

Brutal Sports Football

Bubba'n'Stix

Bubble and Squeak

Cabal (WHDLoad: 2nd/Blue button=Grenades (remap); CD32 joypad: Play button=Pause)

Capital Punishment

Chaos Engine (CD32 only)

Chase HQ II: Special Criminal Investigation (WHDLoad: 2nd button=Turbo)

Cool Spot

Damage (WHDLoad; CD32 joypad support)

Deluxe Galaga

Dennis

D/Generation (CD32 only)

Desert Strike

Dragonstone

Exile AGA (CD32 joypad support)

F1GP

Fifa International Soccer

Fightin' Spirit

Fire and Ice

Fire Force

Flashback

Football Glory

Ghost 'n' Goblins (WHDLoad)

Giana Sisters Special Edition (WHDLoad: 2nd/Blue button=Jump)

Gloom Deluxe

Golden Axe

Gravity Force (WHDLoad: 2nd button=Fire Bullets)

The Great Giana Sisters (2nd button=Jump)

Hybris (WHDLoad)

The Immortal (WHDLoad: 2nd button=Pause/Select Item; CD32 joypad: Custom Certificate/ Toggle Music/Quit/ Quit to WB)

Incredible Crash Dummies (? To confirm: support according to the sticker on Front Box Cover)

Joe & Mac: Caveman Ninja

John Madden American Football

Jungle Strike

Keen Dreams

Kick Off 3 (2nd button _required_ to play)

Kick Off 3: European Challenge

Leander

Legends

Lionheart

Lollypop

The Lost Vikings

Marvin's Marvellous Adventure (_requires_ CD32 joypad)

Mean Arenas (CD32 only: 2nd button=Bomb)

Mega Typhoon

Mercs

Mega Twins (WHDLoad)

Miami Chase (WHDLoad, CD32 joypad support: Play button=Pause, Green=Escape, Blue/2nd button=Show Map)

Midnight Resistance (WHDLoad)

Mortal Kombat

Mortal Kombat 2

Mr Nuts

Nigel Mansell's World Championship

NightBreed (2nd button=Run)

Ninja Mission [Arcadia]

Ninja Warriors (WHDLoad /2 buttons joystick modes/: 1st button=Use Knife, 2nd=Throw 1 shuriken)

North & South (WHDLoad: 2nd button=Select Unit; CD32 joypad/joystick control for both players)

Payback (CD32 & PSX with special interface joypad support)

Pegasus (WHDLoad)

Powder

Primal Rage (2 buttons Option: 1st button=Normal Moves, 2nd=Special Moves)

Project X

Puggsy

R-Type

R-Type 2

Rainbow Islands (WHDLoad)

Roadkill

Ruff'n'Tumble (WHDLoad)

RVF Honda (WHDLoad: 2nd Joypad/Blue button=Accelerate)

Sarcophaser (WHDLoad)

Shadow Dancer (WHDLoad: 2nd button=Use Magic)

Shadow Fighter (CD32 only)

Shadow of the Beast 3 (WHDLoad: 2nd button=Weapon Change)

Shaq Fu

Shinobi (WHDLoad: 2nd button=Trigger "Banzai")

Silkworm (WHDLoad: 2nd button=Jeep; CD32 joypad: Pause, Quit, Abort game)

Skeleton Krew

Snow Bros

Soccer Kid (CD32 only - 2nd button=Jump)

Solomon's Key

Solomon's Key 2 (2nd button=Retry Level / Level Selection Options)

The Speris Legacy

Sqrxz 2010/Remake (1st button=Pause Game, 2nd=Jump)

Sqrxz 2 (1st button=Pause Game, 2nd=Jump)

Sqrxz 3 (1st button=Pause Game/Jump, 2nd=Jump/Pause Game)

Sqrxz 3 (1st button=Pause Game/Jump, 2nd=Jump/Pause Game)

Stardust (WHDLoad: 2nd button=Access Weapon Menu)

Spherical Worlds (WHDLoad)

Stormlord (WHDLoad)

Street Fighter 2

Super Obliteration

Super Skidmarks

Super Stardust (WHDLoad; CD32 joypad support on Standard/Floppy version)

Super Street Fighter II

Super Street Fighter II Turbo (CD32 joypad support)

Superfrog (CD32 only: 2nd button=Jump)

SVIW (WHDLoad: 2nd button=Jump Buggy)

Thexder (WHDLoad: 2nd button=Activate Shield)

Tiger's Bane (CD32 joypad support)

Toki (WHDLoad)

Tony & Friends In Kellogg's Land

Top Gear 2 (CD32 only)

Total Football

Treasure Trap (WHDLoad; CD32 joypad: Pickup/Drop, Map, Smartfish)

Turrican

Turrican II

Turrican 3

Uropa 2 (CD32 joypad support)

Virocop

Watchtower (WHDLoad: 2nd button=Grenades; CD32 joypad: Pause/Quit/Quit to WB)

Whizz

Wing Commander (CD32 only)

Wipeout 2097 (CD32 joypad support)

Worms: Director's Cut (CD32 joypad support)

X-Out

XP8

Xtreme Racing

Yo! Joe!

Z-Out

Ziriax (WHDLoad: 2nd button=Weapon Selection)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm happy to report save2600's details are correct. The Seagull and the Best adaptor make for a good solution for a jagpad on the 7800.

Best testing it out tonight, and runs fine with Asteroids and Rikki & Vikki. I'm sure that means it runs fine with pretty much everything.

I remember reading somewhere that this thing didn't work with Roc n Rope. I don't have that game. I had trouble with a Genesis controller on Popeye tho (another Parker Bros). I'll try that at some point.

Also Genesis... Need to try this out on the Genesis. I doubt Start or A will work, but I'm curious to see if I can use a DB9 Y-cable to plug in another controller and see if I can start games that way... Or what.

• Like 1