Photo

Retro bit RES composite out better than original NES?

2 replies to this topic

#1 envytomdead2 OFFLINE  

envytomdead2

Space Invader

• 34 posts

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:29 AM

I bought one of these for $20 (the one without HDMI outputs). I noticed even on my HD tv it looks pretty decent where the original NES would have muddy colors. To be honest it isn't much different than playing it on a CRT. Does anyone know why the RES is so much better? And do all of these clone consoles have improved composite signal?

#2 TheCoolDave OFFLINE  

TheCoolDave

Moonsweeper

• 329 posts

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:20 AM

I bought one of these for $20 (the one without HDMI outputs). I noticed even on my HD tv it looks pretty decent where the original NES would have muddy colors. To be honest it isn't much different than playing it on a CRT. Does anyone know why the RES is so much better? And do all of these clone consoles have improved composite signal?

Because this device up converts to a higher res.  The Original NES was designed for old TVs that could handle 240i/p over composite, as that was the STANDARD when it was created.  Modern TVs can not do anything with the res of older consoles (like I said 240i/p), and what TVs do is treat it like 480p and that looks really bad. 

SO it's upgraded hardware designed around modern TVs, for $20, it's a good deal. Most of these NEWER clones should be able do a better job than the old consoles could do. so odds are yes, they should give a better picture.

Just watch out for consoles like the Retron 5, this is pretty much a emulation machine. It takes your carts and rips the ROM and you play the rom. The results look amazing but, it deals with a level of lag and it's not actually playing the original cart..  You do get some nice features tho, like real time save and other emulation features...

I paid $41 form my Retron 5.. so it was worth grabbing to try... Neat little console for what it is.

Edited by TheCoolDave, Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:21 AM.

#3 envytomdead2 OFFLINE  

envytomdead2

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:13 AM

$41 is a good deal for a Retron 5. I have thought about getting one but for $150 I didn't think so because of the issues with emulation. I have a Retron 77 and do like the save states but in a lot of ways it isn't just ready to go out of the box. Firmware updates, getting a 2600-adapter for paddles. Not sure I want to deal with that at that price point.

I'm guessing a RetroTink basically uses line doubling to convert the signal to 480i and then converts it to 720p?

I guess I was very surprised just how much better 480i looked on a flat screen and how good that little console is for $20.

Edited by envytomdead2, Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:14 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users