why I hate commodore 64

136 replies to this topic

#126 emkay ONLINE  

emkay

Quadrunner

• 9,891 posts
  • What's up?

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:16 PM

hmmm, I bet with slight re-coding that games could be made just as you describe, what I would love to see is a hack by yourself or someone you've collaborated with doing just that and fixing up or adding cool things with the extra cycles or event making such games even more responsive. Sound like the cycles might even be used for better sounds or music or both.

I'm really interested in seeing these done, seeing it would sure help make hearts and even minds understand.

Hmm... yes. The more in cycles eventually could allow to use digi sounds.

#127 emkay ONLINE  

emkay

Quadrunner

• 9,891 posts
  • What's up?

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:24 PM

Having ported Dropzone to the 5200 (and had a good look at IK) I can assure you that he's closer than a lot of us, yet we can still aspire ;)

Yeah. The relevant parts run at a very high achieved level, so my mistakes weren't relevant for the thread. But they show that there are some parts available for optimizing.

In Star Trek the misuse of the ANTIC Mode is more relevant, as the zoom could run really fluent. Yes, it is clearly faster than on the C64, but it could have been smooth as silk ;)

#128 emkay ONLINE  

emkay

Quadrunner

• 9,891 posts
  • What's up?

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:05 PM

BTW:

#129 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 4,098 posts
  • broadway1.lorexddns.net 10001

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:55 PM

Easy solution to the Nintendon't litigation problem:

QUIETLY Write, test, perfect your clone game, then release it anonymously as a torrent on The Pirate Bay. After it is out, then report here on what you 'found'.

Those dumb asses can't prove anything. There's nothing they can do to stop us!

:)

#130 toddtmw OFFLINE  

toddtmw

Dragonstomper

• 632 posts

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:51 PM

Wow. I just played it in a C64 emulator. That IS impressive. But only as an academic exercise, or as a blatant copy of a game that is already available on so many other platforms.

It would be cool to see someone do a game that pays homage to SMB, but is original. (I mean, using TODAY'S dev tools, not like Giana Sisters.)

#131 mika OFFLINE  

mika

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 119 posts

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:16 PM

Wow. I just played it in a C64 emulator. That IS impressive. But only as an academic exercise, or as a blatant copy of a game that is already available on so many other platforms.

It would be cool to see someone do a game that pays homage to SMB, but is original. (I mean, using TODAY'S dev tools, not like Giana Sisters.)

well, one thing we know is that it won't happen on 8-bit Atari

#132 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Flux Capacitor Master Craftsman

• 6,963 posts

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:51 PM

no joy on a real c128 ntcs... I wonder what it requires.

Edited by _The Doctor__, Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:53 PM.

#133 emkay ONLINE  

emkay

Quadrunner

• 9,891 posts
  • What's up?

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:17 AM

well, one thing we know is that it won't happen on 8-bit Atari

It's not that isn't impossible to do that game for the A8. There are also a lot coders do something for that machine.
But, as you might have recognized, most of them were not really Atari 8 bit fans. They more likely were fans of what the Atari could have been.
Luckily, in the past great stuff happened, where people knew the limits and put working stuff (fun games) into them.

#134 CharlieChaplin OFFLINE  

CharlieChaplin

River Patroller

• 3,134 posts

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:07 AM

We do have some talented coders / porters / adopters, who port games from C64, Spectrum and BBC.

Go for it mariuszw !  And then continue with Sonic, so both Sega and Nintendo will write C&D letters...

(A new challenge: Which retro system gets the most C&D letters from todays software companies?)

#135 Rybags ONLINE  

Rybags

Gridrunner

• 16,148 posts

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:40 AM

no joy on a real c128 ntcs... I wonder what it requires.

A problem with C64 as if not having a WSYNC register isn't bad enough is that you have different number of cycles per scanline depending on video standard, and I do believe the earliest NTSC was different again.

So unless the software caters for it - not to mention the normal NTSC defecit in cycles per frame - some games and demos just plain won't work.

Since this game supposedly uses VSP to do it's scrolling which requires cycle-exact programming, there's every chance that your config wasn't catered for.

But like plenty of software, maybe in time it'll be rectified.  The advantage of a C128 also is that you can put the CPU into double speed mode during the blank period which can compensate for having less cycles per frame for NTSC vs PAL.

#136 DracIsBack OFFLINE  

DracIsBack

Quadrunner

• 5,825 posts

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:46 PM

While I've always been an Atari 8Bit guy, having had a 130XE and two XEGS systems, I just can't hate the C64. It was a well put together machine with great games and 30 plus year old rivalries seem really silly now. 

#137 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 4,098 posts
  • broadway1.lorexddns.net 10001

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:40 PM

If only their very design hadn't been so vulgar.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users