Photo

TIPI / RPI / File Project Repository

6 replies to this topic

#1 BeeryMiller ONLINE  

BeeryMiller

Dragonstomper

• 953 posts

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:25 PM

I'm not exactly sure how one may describe it, but throwing something out there to see if may tickle someone's interest.

I am wondering about the possibility multiple users working on a project together, with a RPI as the file repository for a project.

Github is fine for some people working on a project, however, I am a bit more old school dealing with assembly source files and do not have a desire to learn all the nuances in addition to the C language for the gcc compiler.

What I wonder is what would be involved so that a user could retrieve a file for editing / submission purposes from someone's RPI for projects involving multiple programmers?  I'm thinking with the filename such as TIPI.URL1.Filename,username,password would allow secured reading/writing access.  Maybe a separate app someone could run that would give a user write permission by the hosting TIPI/RPI unit???

At the moment, I am not sure if our current editors out there would choke on a comma in the filename (perhaps a semicolon?) to know if we may need to modify an editor or two.

Anyways, just throwing some thoughts out there for an idea.

Thoughts?  It's not something I am capable of doing, but I see it as something that may be beneficial for some programmers............

Beery

#2 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

River Patroller

• 2,023 posts

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:05 PM

well, there are webservers that allow url based authentication...  the URL syntax is:

http[s]://<username>:<password>@<hostname>:<port>/filepath

You could open PI.https://beery:passwo...proja/PROJA.A99

That'd read the file... if TIPI were extended to allow writing to PI.http[s] files (tipi/services/CurlFile.py - collect the records in memory then do a POST to the url with the python curl api) then you could write to them...

You could amend the TIPI  web-ui webserver to require access control and authentication... Or set up an instance of apache that would just require configuration. 

This is a horrible way to collaborate though... like dropbox sharing...   you could also dropbox share... I believe it is possible to run a dropbox daemon on raspbian, and conrol where the shared folder is located... so it could just  be under tipi_disk/DROPBOX

Or you could mount an FTP folder under tipi_disk, and add an FTP server to your own raspberry pi...  username and password are supplied when you mount... or cached in a config file...

----

Or you could just learn something easier than git, like subversion... checkout the source your want to collaborate under tipi_disk... use a side workflow to benefit from actual version control.  anything with an ssh server on it can be a git or subversion server.

-M@

#3 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,667 posts

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:33 PM

Presenting a password in the URL is considered deprecated: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986(section 3.2.1).

#4 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

River Patroller

• 2,023 posts

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:58 PM

It is also just a bad idea... :)

-M@

#5 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,586 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:10 PM

I would also wonder if there are multiple developers of a project then there really should be some type of check-in / check-out method to ensure that more than 1 developer could not check it out at a time.  This would also allow some type of version control maybe.

#6 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

River Patroller

• 2,023 posts

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:54 AM

That's why you should just use git, or subversion...

-M@

#7 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 3,146 posts

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:56 AM

That's why you should just use git, or subversion...

-M@

Yes. And there are lots of front-ends if you don't want to learn a command line interface.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users