Photo

Two Unknown and Unmentioned BBS Softwares...

4 replies to this topic

#1 doctor_x OFFLINE  

doctor_x

Moonsweeper

• 499 posts

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:58 PM

Unknown in that I've never seen them in the wild.. One is surely a one-off, but the other sounds like maybe it was spread.... Text to follow:

-----

Trax-XE: Trax Xe is being redesigned, so until it

have   private  lines  other than|is finished, it will run on Carina.  The
their regular phone line.        |number is (415)593-6784 (300/1200 baud)

TC-BBSxe - "Ran on an Atari 130XE, two disk drives (a modded Atari 1050 drive [Single Sided/Double Density] 180KB, and a Teac [Single Sided/Double Density] 360KB), originally an Atari 1030 modem (110/300 baud) then later to a Supra 110/300/450 baud and then eventually a Volks 300/1200 baud via an Atari 850 RS232 interface/adapater. The software was written by Total Control Systems (TCS) which was also in San Diego and not that far from where I lived at the time so I was able to visit and talk with the developer. The XE version was a huge upgrade over the previous versions. If you were lucky enough to have the 130XE you could take advantage of the additional 64K of RAM by making it a RAM disk and then loading the menus and other text files. This would speed up the performance of the site and give you more space for storage. About a few months of owning the software, I modified the message base to resemble CNET (another popular C64 BBS software). I felt their message base/layout/etc was clean. At one point I hooked up an Atari 800XL, wrote a "connector" and setup a multi-lined BBS. I remember running into problems with the message base. Reading messages were fine, it was only if two people were replying to the same message. In the end I fixed it by using part of the RAM disk as a cache/buffer but that mean sacrificing loading menus and other text files up in RAM. Eventually I went back to a single lined system as the other line was actually our house line so it was only avaialble at night. I pulled the BBS offline in '86 when I moved with plans to set it back up again but never did - just wasn't into BBS' anymore, Those were some fun times, however." - Robert Kuhn

-----

Just a few more to add to the list for collection/archival purposes... certainly longshots - but there you go...

#2 toddtmw OFFLINE  

toddtmw

Dragonstomper

• 632 posts

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:59 PM

If only we could find them. Hackers tended to be pretty paranoid about their tools...

#3 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

Flux Capacitor Master Craftsman

• 6,961 posts

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:45 PM

Total Control BBS

and

Total Control BBS XE

are real BBS software packages...

Trax XE was just the name of a BBS afaik.

#4 doctor_x OFFLINE  

doctor_x

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 499 posts

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:32 AM

perhaps... the fact that it says it will be running carina until its redesigned makes me think that its a bbs software... who knows... I wish I could find some of those folks that used to be in The Underground Fone Federation, because as I recall they were all Atarians.....

#5 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

Flux Capacitor Master Craftsman

• 6,961 posts

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:56 AM

You may be correct, Might be the BBS and Software were to both to be called TRAX XE....  straining to remember if that would be the case, who knows maybe tomorrow I'll think it was 20 or so years ago and have some answers, for today all I remember is it was a BBS to call.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users