Photo

Most Amazing Atari EVER

35 replies to this topic

#26 Nezgar ONLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,965 posts

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:34 PM

Mostly, I just dont want to have to run translator to run older titles.

A simple OS switcher can get you quick 800 compatibility. it's just an adapter board that plugs into your OS ROM socket, an EPROM with 2 or 4 OS's programmed to it, and a toggle or slider switch wired to the PCB.

There's a DIY adapter:
http://atariage.com/...iy-4xos-switch/

And dropcheck sells one pre-assembled:
https://www.bitsofth...4in1-os-adapter

#27 bfollowell ONLINE  

bfollowell

Chopper Commander

• 234 posts

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:49 PM

Only if you buy one fully tricked out and built by someone else. ;)

Otherwise the “1088” = 64K base memory + 1024K expansion RAM in the U1MB.

Yeah, I've looked into it. If you buy everything yourself, can do the soldering, and assemble everything yourself, you can save some money. I did a quick and dirty calculation and came in about $750, depending on the options you put into it.

#28 DrVenkman ONLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 4,081 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:06 PM

Yeah, I've looked into it. If you buy everything yourself, can do the soldering, and assemble everything yourself ...

Been there, done that ... ;)

Best thing about the build-it-yourself option is you can build the bare board for a lot less and get yourself functional, then add your case, Rapdidus, SOPHIA, and/or VBXE if you want to later over time as funds allow. 

#29 orpheuswaking OFFLINE  

orpheuswaking

Quadrunner

• 5,833 posts
  • 1088XLD in progress

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:48 PM

Been there, done that ... ;)

Best thing about the build-it-yourself option is you can build the bare board for a lot less and get yourself functional, then add your case, Rapdidus, SOPHIA, and/or VBXE if you want to later over time as funds allow. 

That's how I did mine, I still have my board in the plain case, no panels and just the UAV basic video (which is fine)

#30 bfollowell ONLINE  

bfollowell

Chopper Commander

• 234 posts

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:44 PM

That's probably what I'll do. I have some other Atari items I'll probably start selling off before too long; a boxed Lynx II, a boxed Jaguar, an old Vader 2600, etc. Part of my anti-clutter efforts, but hopefully they'll bring in a little money that I might be able to use to offset the cost of the 1088XEL. Of course, once I get it done and working well, I won't need my 800XL either, so that'll probably bring in a little bit too.

I'm not sure about the Rapidus. The 1088XEL is overkill, but it's kind of a dream build. I don't know that I'd have any need for an accelerator, though it would be cool. I wonder how it would impact gameplay in some games. I'd be worried about timing and that some games may be too fast to play.

I actually just got my Sophia Rev.C DVI working but, rather than modify the case, I may put a UAV in it and use it with improved composite and save the Sophia for my 1088XEL build, then eventually sell the 800XL with the UAV installed.

Edited by bfollowell, Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:46 PM.

#31 toddtmw OFFLINE  

toddtmw

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 630 posts

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:48 PM

Actually, I'm thinking maybe I'd want to get an Eclaire XL if anyone ever produces a run of them again.

Actually, I wish we could somehow get real world peripherals to work with Altirra. That would be even better.

#32 bfollowell ONLINE  

bfollowell

Chopper Commander

• 234 posts

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:58 PM

Actually, I'm thinking maybe I'd want to get an Eclaire XL if anyone ever produces a run of them again.

Actually, I wish we could somehow get real world peripherals to work with Altirra. That would be even better.

I guess I don't understand the reasoning. I mean, I'm not anti-emulation by any means but, if you're not running on original hardware, why the heck would you worry about using real peripherals?

What am I missing?

#33 toddtmw OFFLINE  

toddtmw

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 630 posts

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:03 PM

I like the experience of being able to use real disks, plus, I want to print print shop banners and the best way to do that is old school 9-pin dot matrix!

#34 toddtmw OFFLINE  

toddtmw

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 630 posts

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:07 PM

But yeah, that is the issue with the Eclaire. It's basically just an emulator that happens to have all the right ports. If I could get that on a Windows computer, talking to Altirra, I'd be thrilled!

#35 DrVenkman ONLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 4,081 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:15 PM

That's how I did mine, I still have my board in the plain case, no panels and just the UAV basic video (which is fine)

I'm still rocking the UAV but I *really* need to get my shit together and just buy the SOPHIA DVI I've been planning to get for over a year now ...  :ponder:

IMG_9784.JPG

#36 bfollowell ONLINE  

bfollowell

Chopper Commander

• 234 posts

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:33 PM

I'm still rocking the UAV but I *really* need to get my shit together and just buy the SOPHIA DVI I've been planning to get for over a year now ...  :ponder:

Do yourself a favor and, unless you know you have a monitor or TV that will work with one of the other resolutions you're interested in, go for 1280x1024. From my admittedly limited experience, and from what I've read, that seems to be the best resolution in terms of compatibility with more displays.

I plan to use mine with the Sophia DVI, but I think I'll probably put in a UAV as well. I mean, it's only $30. I doubt I'll go for VBXE or anything else that uses RGB. Displays to use it with are getting more and more rare.

Once I get mine done, I think that will be the ultimate 8-bit machine. As much as I drooled over the 140XLD back in the day, my 1088XEL, unaccelerated or accelerated, will far surpass anything I dreamed of back in the day.

Edited by bfollowell, Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:37 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users