I purchased this Intellivision Popeye box off of Ebay last week - it was posted essentially as a "sealed" empty box. There was only one picture in the listing - a pic of the front of the box, and while a sealed empty box doesn't make much sense, it was cheap so I bought it.
It arrived today, and I can't figure out what I'm looking at, or if it's an item of significance or not. I'm hoping someone here may have some insight into what this item is. A few notes:
1) The item is sealed, and it's definitely empty, weighing 2.3 oz, vs. 5 oz for the sealed US release. It's a lid-style box, but the back of the box is completely blank.
2) The box has a worn look to it that, to my amateur eye, is commensurate with that of the rest of the ~ 40 year-old games in our collection. All of the dirt and wear and stains or whatever appears to be on the shrink-wrap itself, not underneath it.
3) Several text blurbs on the box are on opposite sides of where they appear on the US version in our collection, including "Made in the USA by PB, Division of CPG blah blah"; "Popeye is a registered trade mark of blah blah"; "1983 King Features Syndicate"; Inc."; and "1983 Nintendo of America, Inc." all appear on opposite sides where they do on our real game.
4) The height of the box is the same height as our Empire Strikes Back and Q-Bert games, but several mm shorter than the Popeye and Frogger in our collection.
5) The Popeye on the standard, international and French-Canadian versions is the same artwork - a smiling Popeye; the one on this box is grumpy-looking. I can't find that artwork on any other video game box of any system-type.
6) Obviously I searched several search terms in google, and I checked out several commercials too, to no avail.
Anyways, sorry for the long post. If it is not a well-done, under-the-radar replica of some sort, my best guess is that this may have been a pre-sale promotional item for retailers to display or something. But if someone here may know something. about this item, any information would be appreciated
Sorry for the long post -