Photo

A case for lower end Atari models - is there one?

33 replies to this topic

#26 Rybags OFFLINE  

Rybags

Gridrunner

• 16,148 posts

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:35 AM

The 400/800 has that cool futuristic 70s look but IMO the 800 is somewhat huge so the 400 has it's place as less of a space hog.

The 600XL comes into it's own in the modern day thanks to smaller components that allow internal upgrades such that you can equal any other machine except maybe for an internal mechanical HDD.  600XL is also a more sensible shape than any other 8-bit Atari computer IMO.

Later on the XEGS and 65XE became the povvo models.  65XE sort of an orphan especially if it's the NTSC one without ECI port, given that the form factor is the same as the 130XE.

XEGS - they screwed that up royally with the ridiculous short keyboard cable plus the fact the console keys are on the computer, and deletion of ECI.  But there have been some well modded GS machines.

But overall, for the low end machines I'd go 600XL every time.

#27 JR> OFFLINE  

JR>

Moonsweeper

• 411 posts

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:19 AM

I have to say the 600XL is currently my favorite 8-bit due to its small footprint.  I somehow acquired 3 of them over the years, most likely as part of a lot that had something I actually wanted.   They sat unused and unappreciated for years.  Now with all of the upgrades available my most used, and now most capable, 8-bits are both 600XLs.

I've got a few unappreciated 400s sitting around too.  I think the one with the keyboard upgrade is due for a couple of the tf_hh upgrades I purchased recently.

#28 patjomki OFFLINE  

patjomki

Chopper Commander

• 120 posts

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:24 AM

...a modified 600XL with Ultimate 1Mb, VBXE2/DIN13, Simple Stereo POKEY/Uswitch which was undertaken by Jon. Now that the 600XL can be upgraded to such a degree it's definately one of the coolest Atari's to own. I've got the XL quality back and I love it's diminutive size.

I also like the 600XL most. It is fascinating to see how many of the modern upgrades fit into the small case of a 600XL. I also have a stereo pokey, U1MB, VBXE and pCovox in my 600XL. Unforunately there isn't enough space left in it for a rapidus so for that purpose I have an 800XL as my main machine but the 600XL looks better IMHO.

#29 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 4,098 posts
  • broadway1.lorexddns.net 10001

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:31 PM

You just can't beat an 800 Incognito. It has 1088K RAM, multiple OS's, a PBI, and more. With Jon's latest BIOS, it is amazing.

If you have a Mitsumi keyboard, same as the 1200XL and the 14x0XL(D);s, you have it made.

This machine is a pleasure to use.

:)

• slx likes this

#30 SS OFFLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 6,321 posts

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:46 PM

I've got a few unappreciated 400s sitting around too.  I think the one with the keyboard upgrade is due for a couple of the tf_hh upgrades I purchased recently.

I am thinking that I would like to do this soon as well. A 400 with tf-hh's video and memory upgrades would be a fantastic machine to own. I would leave the membrane keyboard alone though; I love the look of it and honestly I don't do all that much A8 typing these days anyway.

Edited by SS, Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:26 PM.

#31 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 4,098 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:58 PM

I’ve got a pair of 400’s. One is bone-stock, just like the one I had as a kid before we sold it to get our 800. The other was upgraded to 48K long before I acquired it. That one would be fun to upgrade with a SuperColor card for video and maybe an OS ROM mod ...

#32 JR> OFFLINE  

JR>

Moonsweeper

• 411 posts

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:00 PM

I’ve got a pair of 400’s. One is bone-stock, just like the one I had as a kid before we sold it to get our 800. The other was upgraded to 48K long before I acquired it. That one would be fun to upgrade with a SuperColor card for video and maybe an OS ROM mod ...

tf_hh's 48/52k memory board allows you to switch between 4 OS ROM slots, and it can also map the unused 4k that is used by Omnimon/Omniview, etc. to the switchable ROM. 

#33 slx ONLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• 1,889 posts

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:16 AM

You just can't beat an 800 Incognito. It has 1088K RAM, multiple OS's, a PBI, and more. With Jon's latest BIOS, it is amazing.

If you have a Mitsumi keyboard, same as the 1200XL and the 14x0XL(D);s, you have it made.

If only the Mitsumi replacement mylars would come around I'd be all set up...currently my 800 Mitsumi keyboard is mostly dead.

#34 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 10,255 posts

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:28 AM

My 800 has the mechanical keyboard, which is pretty nice feeling too (though my 1200XL keyboard is still better) and good enough, as long as the key shafts haven't all cracked on the corners. Luckily the only issue on my keyboard so far is the left shift key that is cracked on the shaft and so it leans...not unrepairable, but it's a pain in the arse.

Edited by Gunstar, Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:29 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users