IGNORED

CIO.LIB

Looking through my old Atari 800 disks and found something labeled CIO.LIB, does that ring any bells? For the live of me I can't remember if I wrote it or got it someplace. I can't even remember how to use it. I have the original Atari BASIC, BASIC XL and MAC 65.

I know what the CIO is but what the heck is CIO.Lib?

I did write a CIO driver for a RS232 interface I designed back in the day. Not sure if it was that or not.

Edited by spinnaker15136

library. cio library. that's pretty much it. it's for whatever programming language. You'll have to figure it out... could be straight up assm, could be c, could be any number of things. You will have to look at it and read or try it.

Edited by _The Doctor__

library. cio library. that's pretty much it. it's for whatever programming language. You'll have to figure it out... could be straight up assm, could be c, could be any number of things. You will have to look at it and read or try it.

Ah yeah I know that. Trying to remember if I wrote it or someone else did. Did you read my post?

Drop it on Memopad or Notepad++ and see if looks familiar...

Maybe it is part of the CIO driver you wrote, don't you just hate when you pick up something years later and can't work out where it came from...Always bloody annoying, more so if you did it :)

Been there a few times...

Maybe it is part of the CIO driver you wrote, don't you just hate when you pick up something years later and can't work out where it came from...Always bloody annoying, more so if you did it :)

One of the many projects. ;) Should it be readable? I.E. In text format? Or would it be binary? I guess I will need to look at both the XL BASIC and Mac 65 manual to see if they were able to create .lib files.

How about Action! ?

From memory it had extended libraries that could be included in programs. Chances are if it's for a high-level language then the .lib is probably machine code that's ready to be rolled into compiled projects.

If it's intended for something like an Assembler then it's probably a bunch of macros but could be plaintext or tokenized as Mac-65 programs are usually stored that way.

6502 machine code is very easily recognised to someone who's used it a lot - just browsing a hex dump might be enough to reveal what it is.

• Like 1

How about Action! ?

From memory it had extended libraries that could be included in programs. Chances are if it's for a high-level language then the .lib is probably machine code that's ready to be rolled into compiled projects.

If it's intended for something like an Assembler then it's probably a bunch of macros but could be plaintext or tokenized as Mac-65 programs are usually stored that way.

6502 machine code is very easily recognised to someone who's used it a lot - just browsing a hex dump might be enough to reveal what it is.

yep, since it wasn't posted to look at, it's required the op give it a look see. No one can have an Idea without one or the other :)

LOL I have tons of old code like that. One I remember but don't know how I was able to do it. Once I basically re-engineered a building automation system originally written for the PDP 11/34 that I had nothing top do with. The 34 would talk to field panels distributed in the building or campus. It used a proprietary protocol for which there was very sparse documentation.

I first had to write a serial data analyzer to better understand the protocol between host an panels. My automation software had scripting and multiple user terminals. This was all before Windows. When I look at that old code, I have no idea how I was able to accomplish that task. :) And the really big news was that the original code crashed all the time. My code ran for a couple of years without a reboot. And the only reason for the reboot then as because of a power failure. ;)

• Like 2

Well back in the day I could look at 6502 machine code and read it as easily as people read text in their native language. But ut has been nearly 40 years since I have touched machine code. So the brain is a bit fuzzy. :)

I was just hoping someone recognized it by name. I guess I will need to investigate further on my own.

Well back in the day I could look at 6502 machine code and read it as easily as people read text in their native language. But ut has been nearly 40 years since I have touched machine code. So the brain is a bit fuzzy. :)

I was just hoping someone recognized it by name. I guess I will need to investigate further on my own.

I know how you feel, I look at code I wrote and thought 'what was I trying to do there',

I was also fluent in 6502 and later 68000

The good news is, it does come back very quickly,

I've been looking at a game I wrote in Basic and 6502 but it took forever to initialize, so my pet project is to incorporate more

USR routines to speed things up a bit.

• Like 2