IGNORED

Old School Atari "Warez" BBS Welcome Screens?

doctor_x

Anyone have any pics/captures/whatever of any 80's warez BBS's that were run on an Atari 8 bit - or - I guess the ST either one?

Once again , just like with underground apps it seems like you can find plenty from the C64 scene, but nothing from Atari8.. I guess that simply has to do with the fact C= sold so many more than Atari?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any pics/captures/whatever of any 80's warez BBS's that were run on an Atari 8 bit - or - I guess the ST either one?

Once again , just like with underground apps it seems like you can find plenty from the C64 scene, but nothing from Atari8.. I guess that simply has to do with the fact C= sold so many more than Atari?

Alcatraz was a big warez BBS back in the day. It was a part of the United Federation of Pirates (UFP) group. You can still see some of the original ATASCII by telnetting to alcatrazbbs.ddns.net:9000. Of course you'll need to use a term program that supports ATASCII to see the screens.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Like 2

Were there any warez BBS's not just ran on an Atari 8 bit but for the 8 bit?

I don't remember a single one here in the UK...

The BBS scene for me came alive more on the C64 and HUGELY on the Amiga..

Just would be nice to know if such beasts were around anywhere for the 8 bit....More likely in the US of A..Must point out that I don't say that because of the morality of the US folk, just you guys had all the hardware and much cheaper :)

We had the modems over here, Maplin made a lightning fast 300 baud one :) but apart from leeching stuff off a few boys in the scene directly I just don't remember any BBS's

Edited by Mclaneinc

There were file sections on many BBS's that weren't on Atari equipment, and yes there were pirated titles.... no one appeared to complain or even classify the downloads as elite or otherwise... It is possible that access to such sections could have been limited to people at other user levels... at the time I never spent any time at all without such access, just seemed to be after the initial call ended. The next time I called, access was granted, or sometimes during the first call after a chat, all was granted. So I tend to see things in the light that everyone else would see the same...