Knabber Rob - Who want this new game ?

18 replies to this topic

#1 tanuki OFFLINE  

tanuki

Space Invader

• 40 posts

Posted Thu May 9, 2019 4:33 AM

Hello Atarimaniacs ;)

I am proud to annouce our new game for Atari 2600 : Knabber Rob.

It's an action-adventure game, created by Jason, from Gemintronic. I think you all know him ^^.

Knabber Rob will be available on our webshop monday 13th, but until this day, let me give you a few details about the game.

Your hero is a bat.
You have to place back all the artifacts of the game in their respective chests under 10 minutes.

Once an artifact is carried a directional hint towards the appropriate chest will appear during screen transitions.  Try to reach your goal in the shortest time possible! 

Want more ?

-Most screens will consist of open areas with walls that cannot be passed without flight.  Even with basic flight walled off screen boundries cannot be passed.  Screen boundries can be negated by soaring.

-Fast moving water areas can be traversed by flight though movement is effected.

-Maze screens will confuse the players sense of direction.  Exiting warps you to a random location.  

-Castles contain artifacts.  

-Cavernous chest areas provide a drop off point for an artifact.  Each item has its own chest screen.

-Dragons will always be present and wait for you ;)

1557397724-capture-1.png

1557397727-capture-2.png

More to come until monday ;)

#2 4ever2600 OFFLINE  

4ever2600

Dragonstomper

• 796 posts

Posted Thu May 9, 2019 1:05 PM

So it's kind of like a reverse Adventure?

#3 Gemintronic OFFLINE  

Gemintronic

Jason S. - Lead Developer & CEO

• 9,362 posts

Posted Thu May 9, 2019 3:13 PM

So it's kind of like a reverse Adventure?

More or less!  The bat is tasked to put back all the items into their respective chests.  The dragons - being *wonderful co-workers* - harass you and try to drag to off to a random screen.

You can return the items to their chest in any order.  But, each item has a specific chest.  Thankfully, Knabber Rob has a sort of echo location ability that points him in the general direction of each goal.

#4 4ever2600 OFFLINE  

4ever2600

Dragonstomper

• 796 posts

Posted Thu May 9, 2019 3:18 PM

Well I applaud you for an original name and not just making it like, 'bats adventure'. But what the hell is a Nabber Rob??? Or am I just getting too old for modern day slang or missing an inside joke?

#5 Karl G ONLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• 851 posts

Posted Thu May 9, 2019 6:12 PM

Well, the bat is definitely a notorious nabber of objects.

#6 Gemintronic OFFLINE  

Gemintronic

• 9,362 posts

Posted Fri May 10, 2019 1:14 AM

According to Côté Gamers:

The Official Title is therefore knabber rob. Funny Title? Not really, " to knab " in English means " seize with the teeth " and " to Rob " is " flying ", in the sense of Shirk. So this is the question of flying with your mouth and when you know that the character you're going to lead is a bat, we understand the title better, right?

Knubberrub is the semi official name of the bat in Adventure.  I wanted to pay homage by having a similar but legally distinct name front and center. :)  "Knabber Rob" seems to have bat-like connotations in French.  

#7 tanuki OFFLINE  

tanuki

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted Mon May 13, 2019 1:15 PM

Haha. We like the idea to pay hommage to adventure but in the same time we also try to explain the title ;)

But I am here for the great news : Knabber Rob is on preorder now on our shop: http://cotegamers.co...atari-2600.html

You can preorder in english, if you have any PB please tell me ;)

You'll have a box + manual + making of + cart + sticker, all with professional quality !

Don't forget to choose "books and brochures" if you want to avoid expensive shipping costs.

1557774775-couverture-definitive-et-titr

#8 Karl G ONLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• 851 posts

Posted Mon May 13, 2019 1:43 PM

It's a great concept, and definitely looks promising! Ideally, I would like to play a demo before buying it. At the very least, I would like to see a video of gameplay. Failing that, I will probably wait to hear user feedback or reviews before purchasing.

#9 4ever2600 OFFLINE  

4ever2600

Dragonstomper

• 796 posts

Posted Mon May 13, 2019 1:58 PM

Same here. Definitely interested, and I understand you probably can't release a demo of the Rom, but a video would be great...

#10 Gemintronic OFFLINE  

Gemintronic

• 9,362 posts

Posted Mon May 13, 2019 2:15 PM

Same here. Definitely interested, and I understand you probably can't release a demo of the Rom, but a video would be great...

Here's a very rough video playing through the first difficulty level.  Sound is way down.   This is not official media from Côté Gamers.. just the developer moving the joystick around and barely winning :)

The row of yellow dots on the bottom left denotes items still misplaced.  The row of yellow dots towards the bottom right are items placed in chests.  So, you get a feel for how close you're getting to completion.

#11 mhodgeshvs OFFLINE  

mhodgeshvs

Star Raider

• 70 posts

Posted Tue May 14, 2019 3:23 AM

So the game will ship end of June if purchased now, am I reading that right?
Thanks!

#12 tanuki OFFLINE  

tanuki

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted Tue May 14, 2019 3:42 AM

So the game will ship end of June if purchased now, am I reading that right?
Thanks!

This it it. We need to know exactly how many copies we'll produce as it's very expensive to make a game for A2600 nowadays.

#13 mhodgeshvs OFFLINE  

mhodgeshvs

Star Raider

• 70 posts

Posted Tue May 14, 2019 11:57 AM

This it it. We need to know exactly how many copies we'll produce as it's very expensive to make a game for A2600 nowadays.

Cool.   I am trying to buy it but I don't understand the shipping options. I would rather pay more and get it within 10 days, using 'Mondial Relay', but does that mean that the item gets shipped to one of the business options listed when you chose it?

Also, I just noticed that by choosing that the payment option isn't available.   Is the books/magazines the best option for me then?

I like in Aberdeen, UK.    Sorry for the hassle :)

Edited by mhodgeshvs, Tue May 14, 2019 12:02 PM.

#14 high voltage OFFLINE  

high voltage

Quadrunner

• 6,861 posts

Posted Tue May 14, 2019 1:07 PM

It looks like a game I'd like, I'll buy it

#15 tanuki OFFLINE  

tanuki

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted Wed May 15, 2019 1:40 AM

Cool.   I am trying to buy it but I don't understand the shipping options. I would rather pay more and get it within 10 days, using 'Mondial Relay', but does that mean that the item gets shipped to one of the business options listed when you chose it?

Also, I just noticed that by choosing that the payment option isn't available.   Is the books/magazines the best option for me then?

I like in Aberdeen, UK.    Sorry for the hassle :)

Hello

If you live in UK you have 3 options:

•postal service (la poste): expensive, but you'll have your game within 1 week

•mondial relay: not so expensive, but you'll have your game within 10 days

•books & brochures (livres et brochures) : cheap ! But you'll have your game within 1 month. There is no tracking, so we'll not exchange the game if there is a problem with shipping

►If you want to receive it quickly, choose Mondial relay,

►if you want it cheap, choose Books and brochure ;)

Note that with books and brochures you can avoid to pay customs fees if you live outside Europe (I say that for everybody).

#16 mhodgeshvs OFFLINE  

mhodgeshvs

Star Raider

• 70 posts

Posted Wed May 15, 2019 3:56 AM

Thank you for the explanation.  What I was trying to explain is that the mondial relay doesn't work.  It was the payment method is not available, and I was wondering if that is just because I am in the UK or if there is something wrong :)   

Hello

If you live in UK you have 3 options:

•postal service (la poste): expensive, but you'll have your game within 1 week

•mondial relay: not so expensive, but you'll have your game within 10 days

•books & brochures (livres et brochures) : cheap ! But you'll have your game within 1 month. There is no tracking, so we'll not exchange the game if there is a problem with shipping

►If you want to receive it quickly, choose Mondial relay,

►if you want it cheap, choose Books and brochure ;)

Note that with books and brochures you can avoid to pay customs fees if you live outside Europe (I say that for everybody).

#17 mhodgeshvs OFFLINE  

mhodgeshvs

Star Raider

• 70 posts

Posted Wed May 15, 2019 6:05 AM

Thank you for the explanation.  What I was trying to explain is that the mondial relay doesn't work.  It was the payment method is not available, and I was wondering if that is just because I am in the UK or if there is something wrong :)     I'm ready to buy, just want to make sure I choose the best shipping option.

#18 tanuki OFFLINE  

tanuki

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted Thu May 16, 2019 1:16 PM

Sorry for the delay ;)

We understand the problem with mondial relay, it ask customers to choose a relay but in uk mondial relay deliver directly to customers. We are looking to repair it ;)

If you want to avoid any problem you can pay directly through paypal the total for the game + shipping with mondial relay : 55.20€.

Mondial relay is the best for uk customers ;)

#19 Gemintronic OFFLINE  

Gemintronic

• 9,362 posts

Posted Mon May 20, 2019 6:21 AM

There have been some questions about the controls and level design.  So, here are my programmer rough instructions on the topics :)

CONTROLS:
* If either DIFFICULTY SWITCH is set to PRO directional clues are disabled during screen transitions. Hard mode is indicated by the bat icons holding chalices.
* SELECT toggles between 3 game modes with varying maps: Simple, Normal and Semi-Random. Game mode number is displayed at the bottom center of the screen. A coinciding number of bat icons appears in the middle.
* RESET reboots the console
* FIRE button confirms selections and progresses screens outside of gameplay. In game FIRE allows the bat to fly higher and faster past screen boundaries. Timer must be purple in order to use this ability. Knabber Rob will squeak when soaring is activated.
* JOYSTICK/DPAD press the joystick in the direction you intend the player to move. Pressing against walls can help induce flight. Please note that your bat will sometimes move of its own accord.

GAME MODES:
This game features two hand designed 256 screen worlds and a 256 screen procedurally augmented map.

#1 Is the simplest world map. Each castle is always vertically aligned with its respective chest screen. Chest locations are adjacent to eachother. There are less impossible maze areas to get lost in.
#2 Is the normal quest mode. Castles and respective chests are located all across the map. More impossible maze areas are present.
#3 Castle and chest locations are the same as the normal map. Some screens are randomized and may change in subsequent mode 3 playthoughs. Please note after resetting or powering the system off the playthrough count will revert back to 1.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users