IGNORED

HSC16 Round 8: The Last Starfighter

THE LAST STARFIGHTER

Download Fandal or Atarimania

last_starfighter.png

Great game, long time no play, three difficulty levels - has slight varations to Star Raiders II. Clear the aliens from the planets, shields and energy you know the sort!

I'll add more later but from memory the star chart has a top left place that lets you see the 2nd more distant chart, so head out there and get blasting them. When you land on a planet it might be Select (or Option) to change direction [close, it's Option to switch weapons!]. You can recarge at the starbases or on the sun but get off there quickly - set the aim to another destination so you are ready in advance!!

There are three skill levels, new players try the first one, probably the second one is best for those who know the game, then play the hardest for a bonus - don't think I managed to complete this skill.

If anyone has some links to info or the film (it was not that bad!) please post

Have Fun

Round ends Sunday 26th May 10am UK time

• Like 2

Here's a draft copy of the manual. But for quicker reference:

Space bar brings up the map. Select your destination and press fire to hyperwarp.

When on an enemy planet, pressing start will switch between lasers and bombs.

Escape pauses the action.

Be careful not to melt at the sun!

Last Starfighter 800 Manual.pdf

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 4

Great stuff deteacher :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don't think I have seen the Enterprise, how about a bonus point for the first person to spot one ;)

Here's the info on the Enterprise Easter Egg, from Digital Press:

EASTER EGG: Programmers Gary Stark and Bruce Poehlman admit to putting a few hidden extras in the game, but they don’t recall how to trigger them. One that’s been seen is the Starship Enterprise will sometimes make a brief appearance (by the sun) when recharging. There is a clock timer, and if this timer is $00 or $80 at the right moment of recharging, the Enterprise will appear (picture #1). Unfortunately the timer clocks rather slow (from $00 to $FF) so it's very unlikely you will see this effect without cheating (the odds are 1 in 128), as there doesn’t appear to be a method to either resetting or resetting the timer in the code. The graphics for the Enterprise are stored in the Atari 8-bit version at $3A40-$3A42 (bytes $E7, $12, $1C).

It'll be tough to do, but it would be cool to see. :)

• Like 1

Took me a while to find it, but here are some facts I put together on the Starship Enterprise "Easter Egg" in The Last Starfighter via email questions I had asked about it a number of years ago. I don't completely remember who these people were, but I saved the email exchange.

This was asked to someone named Curt at the Atari Historical Society:

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 "Joe Blenkle" <jblenkle@******.net> writes:
Hey, you've been around the Atari for a long time...can I ask you a game related question that has haunted me for years? It's about The Last Starfighter, which if I understand was never actually released as such, and was later renamed Star Raiders II. Many years ago while playing The Last Starfighter, suddenly out of nowhere, this little Starship Enterprise went sailing across the screen. I had never seen it before and I have never seen it since. I happened to mention it to a friend who was really into Atari and he absolutely freaked out. He had heard about this, but never seen it. Have you ever heard about this or know the story behind it? Sometimes I almost think I imagined it, but I'm sure I didn't. But I have never, ever, heard anyone else mention this!!!

To: <jblenkle@*******.net>; <myatari@*******.com>
Subject: Re: game question
Date: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 12:36 PM

It is true. It was put in by John Skruch Director of Software development at Atari who put out over 300 games while at Atari from 1982 until it closed in 1998. I've encountered it twice while recharging/repairing the players ship while in orbit over one of the Sun's. I've never found exactly what trips the sequence to get it to occur, but I've personally seen it happen twice. -- Curt

Here is a note from John Skruch about the origin.

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 05:17:19 -0800
Yep, its there. It will appear randomly. My idea. The ceiling of the Non Com Club at Moffett Field was painted like the night sky. Someone painted an Enterprise in the sky and every now and then they would "move" it in the sky so it appeared to travel across the room. Loved it.

Cheers,

John Skruch

I used to play this game endlessly back in the 80s...but I only saw the Enterprise once and it's never appeared again.

Great stuff deteacher :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don't think I have seen the Enterprise, how about a bonus point for the first person to spot one ;)

• Like 1

So how is this going to be scored if we are allowed to play any of the three levels? I just played the first one and completed the game although halfway through I suddenly realized I was blowing up my own cities. I barely finished with one city left. This is the first time I've touched this game for probably 15 years.

THE LAST STARFIGHTER

Download Fandal or Atarimania

last_starfighter.png

Great game, long time no play, three difficulty levels - has slight varations to Star Raiders II. Clear the aliens from the planets, shields and energy you know the sort!

I'll add more later but from memory the star chart has a top left place that lets you see the 2nd more distant chart, so head out there and get blasting them. When you land on a planet it might be Select (or Option) to change direction. You can recarge at the starbases or on the sun but get off there quickly - set the aim to another destination so you are ready in advance!!

There are three skill levels, new players try the first one, probably the second one is best for those who know the game, then play the hardest for a bonus - don't think I managed to complete this skill.

If anyone has some links to info or the film (it was not that bad!) please post

Have Fun

Round ends Sunday 26th May 10am UK time

The Last Starfighter - Enterprise!!!

Thank god for Print Screen on the computer...I almost missed it.

You've bagged the bonus point!!

Scoring possibly - score for level 1, if completed then score for level 2 (I think it is not too difficult). The 3rd skill level can be a bonus challenge perhaps. AKA I'll make it up as ususal :D

Let me quote McKong: "Not really my kind of game. Probably won't play again this round."

I kind of knew this on beforehand, as I have trouble finding any sort of joy about Star Raiders, and this game is very much alike. Fortunately there are many other games for the Atari and other formats for me to spend my time on.

The Last Starfighter - 2100 pts, didn't save anything, not even my own ass

post-5454-0-19245400-1558043221.jpg

• Like 2

Completed Level 1 !

168,700 with 46 Cities left, might have lost a few at the start when I was working out what was what. Watch out for the Ko-Dan squads moving after you have lined up on them to exit from the Sun - hop to the nearest planet if in a panic.

Basic Strategy: clear your own planets, (break off to defend the barrier), then get to the other map and clear their cities to stop them making more squadrons, then return and clear up any intruders, then clean up the rest. You need to have the Option Key (and the rest of the Atari) on the desk in front of you!

Think I will be in for a gruelling level 2 session at the weekend :-o (will read the manual too!)

post-19705-0-33895800-1558118357.jpg

first table
THE LAST STARFIGHTER

Level 1
deteacher 183,100
jblenkle 170,500
trbb 168,700
carlsson 2,100*
RedThunder 2,100*

Level 2
jblenkle 100,200
deteacher 85,600

Level 3
deteacher 91,600
jblenkle 88,900
*=incomplete level score

first to spot the Enterprise bonus point
jblenkle 1pt :thumbsup:

Forgot to say NOMINATIONS for the next poll - 1 each please ;)

• Like 1

The Last Starfighter (Level 3) - 104,700

That's great going Joe :thumbsup: We'll have to decide who will get the "win" for this round (probably between you and deteacher), perhaps total points difference on Levels 2 and 3 combined?

I've completed Skill 2 156,100 (41 Cities left) not too difficult, some great game mechanics but a bit more variety would have been nice, mopping up the remaining squadrons takes a bit too long. Level 3 tomorrow ;)

post-19705-0-22851500-1558186177.jpg

• Like 1

OK I coundn't wait and played Level 3, not as hard as I thought (remember I'm on a PAL system so not sure how it compares):

155,600 with 42 cities I think - I lost one planet oopsy!! If you head back on the barrier warnings I bet you can save them all :ponder:

The more you play the more you can get used to bombing faster so this makes it fairly easy to wipe them out in a couple of visits, did the SRII version only let you go up when bombing so it was more tricky?

post-19705-0-13589100-1558203735.jpg

I'll start the next poll in the morning - I'll pick some eh :D

• Like 1