IGNORED

5200 suitcase

larrylaffer

Thanks Allan,

Did you mean to add a link?

Do you know anything else about them? Like what years they have been produced? Is there one "version" for the 4 port and one for the 2 port of the 5200 (I am not sure if both 5200 models have exactly the same dimensions or not). Smithing else with mentioning about them? Sleep if you were to attach a dollar price what would you say it's fair price?

Thanks Allan,

Did you mean to add a link?

Do you know anything else about them? Like what years they have been produced? Is there one "version" for the 4 port and one for the 2 port of the 5200 (I am not sure if both 5200 models have exactly the same dimensions or not). Smithing else with mentioning about them? Sleep if you were to attach a dollar price what would you say it's fair price?

I did and forgot.

Here it is.

https://archive.org/details/AtariAgeVol02num03

I forget which issues had it but most likely the later ones.

Allan

• 4 weeks later...

They are rare. An Atari computer dealer bought tons of them up in circa 1988 and started cutting the insides with an exacto knife so an Atari 1040ST can find inside it. As an ST owner back then [and no, I didn't have a 5200 back then], I bought one - modded as such - at the 1989 World of Atari show at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim CA.

So to find one that hasn't been cut for use with an ST at this point makes it an even rarer find.

Also, the Atari 5200 logo was originally in color but they fade like yours over the years. I even kept mine out of sunlight in a dark closet and it still faded like that.

I used mine to cart my 1040STf to the Atari Users' Group I belonged to back then. We connected STs up with null modem cables to play Falcon head-to-head. Of course, after the Lynx was released and so many of the group's members bought them, we ended up losing interest in the null modem cable network gaming method and went with ComLynxing up as many Lynxes as we could after the general business of the group and the presentations finished up.

Open up the case and see if its been modded or not...

Edited by Lynxpro

Thank you Lynxpro, this is very interesting information because, of course I opened it when I bought it and it was cut :(

In fact I purchased it together with a 1040STF and now it makes all the sense in the world. I thought it was something that the original owner did but based on what you say this "mod" was more widespread than what I initially thought... I am really happy, learning all these anecdotes (especially for someone like me who started with an Atari back in the 80s but in Europe) is part of the pleasure of hunting and collecting...

Out of curiosity, do you remember who was that Atari dealer?

Thank you Lynxpro, this is very interesting information because, of course I opened it when I bought it and it was cut :(

In fact I purchased it together with a 1040STF and now it makes all the sense in the world. I thought it was something that the original owner did but based on what you say this "mod" was more widespread than what I initially thought... I am really happy, learning all these anecdotes (especially for someone like me who started with an Atari back in the 80s but in Europe) is part of the pleasure of hunting and collecting...

Out of curiosity, do you remember who was that Atari dealer?

It might've been Best Electronics since whomever the dealer was, they had acquired a lot of Atari Inc stuff dirty cheap from Atari Corp. So I was also able to buy a lot of metal pins of various Atari arcade games from the same dealer. Or maybe they were different. I can't remember. There's very little information on the net from searching for "World of Atari" show in 1989...

In 1989, it was fair to say there was very little support for anything related to the 5200 so an Atari computer dealer had a definite interest in buying up as many 5200 carrying cases dirt cheap, cutting them so an ST could fit inside them, and then sell them for a decent markup. They certainly didn't sell them with the box included. I think I paid $20 - $30 for it. I doubt I paid less than $20.