Photo

2600connection.com (likely to contain malware or other security risks)

12 replies to this topic

#1 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 29,020 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Sun May 12, 2019 1:37 PM

I have Webroot on my new computer and the Google search result for 2600connection.com has a yellow icon next to it with a dash in the middle:

2600con01.png
2600con02.png

Is the web site really unsafe?

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Update

Since Best Buy recommends Webroot, a lot of people are going to be using it, so if you find out that your web site is mistakenly marked as suspicious, just go here and get it cleared:

brightcloud.com/tools/change-request.php

#2 fdr4prez ONLINE  

fdr4prez

River Patroller

• 2,008 posts

Posted Sun May 12, 2019 6:16 PM

The website is ran by AA member TIMDU so you can PM him if you have any concerns

#3 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• Topic Starter
  • 29,020 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Sun May 12, 2019 8:02 PM

The website is ran by AA member TIMDU so you can PM him if you have any concerns

Thanks. If nobody PMs him before I get a chance, I'll do it tonight or tomorrow morning. This is something he needs to know about.

#4 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• Topic Starter
  • 29,020 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Sun May 12, 2019 9:45 PM

PM sent.

#5 timdu OFFLINE  

timdu

Dragonstomper

• 538 posts

Posted Mon May 13, 2019 4:59 PM

Very strange. Thank you for the PM. I am contacting the customer service / technical support of the web hosting company I utilize...

#6 timdu OFFLINE  

timdu

Dragonstomper

• 538 posts

Posted Tue May 14, 2019 3:54 PM

I got pretty much nowhere with the customer service / technical support, other than them trying to sell me a service for $70 for the year on top of what I already pay.

I am still uncertain why the webroot software is stating why the site is suspicious. There is very little content on there. So I have decided to install webroot internet security free trial for 14 days on one of my computers and will try to see what it suggests. One other friend suggested that I remove everything from the web site and reload it all.

#7 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

You can't handle the truth. No truth-handler, you.

• 16,430 posts
  • I deride your truth-handling abilities.

Posted Tue May 14, 2019 4:06 PM

There's no security certificate on that site, so google flags it as non-secure (just like AtariAge.com until the upgrade is complete) ...perhaps that's the problem being flagged by webroot?

I'm not a fan of intrusive nannyware. Maybe you can whitelist 2600connection.com ...or maybe even just use something like DownThemAll to grab the whole site. As Tim D himself pointed out, there's not all that much content up there.

#8 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• Topic Starter
  • 29,020 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Tue May 14, 2019 7:29 PM

There's no security certificate on that site, so google flags it as non-secure (just like AtariAge.com until the upgrade is complete) ...perhaps that's the problem being flagged by webroot?

That's a totally different thing. Google Chrome says that my site isn't secure since I don't use HTTPS, but Webroot says I have a trustworthy site.

I am still uncertain why the webroot software is stating why the site is suspicious. There is very little content on there. So I have decided to install webroot internet security free trial for 14 days on one of my computers and will try to see what it suggests. One other friend suggested that I remove everything from the web site and reload it all.

After Googling, it seems Webroot uses information from BrightCloud:

community.webroot.com/webroot-secureanywhere-antivirus-12/why-are-my-websites-coming-up-suspicious-on-internet-search-the-security-scans-show-no-malware-230623

community.webroot.com/webroot-secureanywhere-internet-security-plus-13/help-why-is-my-website-showing-up-as-suspicious-286012

#9 Mitch OFFLINE  

Mitch

Quadrunner

• 6,642 posts
  • 7800 Guy

Posted Tue May 14, 2019 10:35 PM

Ha, so it is basically a bogus alert. I am not surprised, that is why I don't use that junk.

Mitch

#10 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• Topic Starter
  • 29,020 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Tue May 14, 2019 11:23 PM

Ha, so it is basically a bogus alert. I am not surprised, that is why I don't use that junk.

Mitch

If I would have had that junk on my other computer, I probably wouldn't have gotten a virus.

#11 Mitch OFFLINE  

Mitch

Quadrunner

• 6,642 posts
  • 7800 Guy

Posted Wed May 15, 2019 11:01 AM

Flagging legit web sites as suspicious does not prevent a virus. Get a decent anti-virus and an ad blocker for your browser.

Mitch

#12 VectorGamer OFFLINE  

VectorGamer

Go Sleep In the Cold

• 15,211 posts
  • \m/

Posted Wed May 15, 2019 11:35 AM

VirusTotal reports the site as being clean

#13 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• Topic Starter
  • 29,020 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Wed May 15, 2019 11:41 AM

Flagging legit web sites as suspicious does not prevent a virus. Get a decent anti-virus and an ad blocker for your browser.

Mitch

Webroot is a decent anti-virus program according to various sources. It also marks web sites that have been proven to be unsafe in red. I don't visit red web sites.

These are the extensions that I have on Google Chrome:

randomterrain.com/rt-useful-software-and-addons.html#google_chrome_extensions

Avast screwed up my old computer, so I didn't have an anti-virus program at the time when an old version of Firefox stopped working properly and wouldn't update itself:

atariage.com/forums/blog/120/entry-15826-got-a-new-computer-from-best-buy-2019/

Since Best Buy recommends Webroot, a lot of people are going to be using it, so if you find out that your web site is mistakenly marked as suspicious, just go here and get it cleared:

brightcloud.com/tools/change-request.php

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users