IGNORED

FORCE COMMAND: By Jedimatt42 (Disk Operating System)

Omega-TI

Some of you don't get over to the Development Forum very often, well, you'll want to now! JediMatt42 has released his 'Totally Bloody Awesome' << FORCE COMMAND >> Disk Operating System for the FinalGROM 99.

This DOS is even 'Internet Aware' in that it can even HTTPS via the RPi to the Internet and load programs from a menu on another server. Legacy hardware, RPi, FG99 or Internet it's all the same to this high powered DOS for the TI. I'm thinking my TI will never feel as limited again, the sky truly seems to be the limit.

I'm slowly getting up to speed as time allows, but I'd love to read what others have discovered, how others are using it and how they might have individually designed their AUTOCMD files.

• Like 2

I started to take my first baby steps with the AUTOCMD file and started with one command, which was simply CLS so I could start off with a clear screen sans the banner. The problem is I get an ear piercing non ending tone. I had a similar problem with 4A/DOS loading too fast, but was able to get a delay work around. Any ideas?

*** EDIT ***

I found that adding the command tipibeeps corrects the issue, so now my AUTOCMD file reads:

TIPIBEEPS

CLS

Edited by --- Ω ---

This seems really cool! Thanks Omega for making us aware of it and awesome job M@ on making this available! I definitely need to check this out soon, still trying to wrap my head around the potential of this new capability. -AMAZING!

I think Jedimatt will have many of us using the FORCE in the near future.

• Like 1

This seems really cool! Thanks Omega for making us aware of it and awesome job M@ on making this available! I definitely need to check this out soon, still trying to wrap my head around the potential of this new capability. -AMAZING!

I've not had so much fun playing with something new on the TI for quite a while. This DOS is a work of art. The more I play with it the more I like it and the more I realize how much time, effort and thought M@ has put into this.

• Like 2

Hey guys, as you start playing with and using this DOS, don't forget the EDIT80 program by Fred Kaal. EDIT80 integrates into this environment quite nicely and makes it easy and quick to edit your AUTOCMD file in 80 columns. This is the first, of many programs that I think I'll be adding over the years to this DOS environment.

Seriously, if you've not checked it out yet, don't deny yourself the experience of taking you and your TI to a whole new level of utility and enjoyment.

Extended Basic 2.5 is a 7 x 8K image file. Not sure how much is Rom and how much is Grom.

If the FInalGrom99 is being used to bank in other memory in the Rom/Ram module space so using more than 16K, then yeah, it will not work on the Geneve. If it is just pushing code from Grom into either upper/lower memory expansion, then there should be some format suitable for use on a Geneve.

Beery

Extended Basic 2.5 is a 7 x 8K image file. Not sure how much is Rom and how much is Grom.

If the FInalGrom99 is being used to bank in other memory in the Rom/Ram module space so using more than 16K, then yeah, it will not work on the Geneve. If it is just pushing code from Grom into either upper/lower memory expansion, then there should be some format suitable for use on a Geneve.

Beery

Extended basic is 32k of rom and 16k of grom..16k of grom and 32k of rom

Extended basic is 32k of rom and 16k of grom..

Super Extended Basic has 7 x 8 files, so it appears to be bigger than Extended Basic by another 8K. Actually, I thought Extended Basic was 16K Rom, and 32K Grom as there was memory banking in Rom at >6000 to >7FFF.

The Version 0.6 of Force Commander had a single 22 K file and a 1K file.

I just do not know where the fragments individually load and if there is memory mapping that uses something specific to the FinalGrom99. If it does not use any specific FinalGrom99 memory mapping, I think it would work on the Geneve if the format is converted to a Gramkracker format.

Beery

Any chance you could believe the author?

-M@

Just saw this. Could I believe the author, you? Yes. Just inquiring though as you have previously indicated not fully understanding everything on the Geneve.

Forget I asked if it is too difficult to answer whether you are using memory paging unique to the FinalGrom99.

Beery

It uses more than 32k of ROM spread out into 8k banks of a 64k ROM. It has less than 100 bytes of GROM.

It compresses well... The size of a zip is not the size of a ROM.

The 80 column mode doesn't work on a 9938 either.

You want some of the features as tools in MDOS, not this tool.

-M@

• Like 1

Super Extended Basic has 7 x 8 files, so it appears to be bigger than Extended Basic by another 8K. Actually, I thought Extended Basic was 16K Rom, and 32K Grom as there was memory banking in Rom at >6000 to >7FFF.

The Version 0.6 of Force Commander had a single 22 K file and a 1K file.

I just do not know where the fragments individually load and if there is memory mapping that uses something specific to the FinalGrom99. If it does not use any specific FinalGrom99 memory mapping, I think it would work on the Geneve if the format is converted to a Gramkracker format.

Beery

02/07/2009 03:10 AM 8,192 TI-ExtBC.Bin

02/07/2009 03:10 AM 8,192 TI-ExtBD.Bin

02/07/2009 03:10 AM 32,768 TI-ExtBG.Bin

so i had it backwards.. 16k of rom and 32k of grom

Rxb which is as we all know the biggest even an older version

02/07/2009 03:10 AM 8,192 RXB v5.55 (1992)(Cadd Electronics.C.bin

02/07/2009 03:10 AM 8,192 RXB v5.55 (1992)(Cadd Electronics.D.bin

02/07/2009 03:10 AM 40,960 RXB v5.55 (1992)(Cadd Electronics.G.bin

still only 16k of rom anyway rewrite GPL to support 64k of rom and you can make that work, otherwise. no

• Like 1

I gathered from the text file included with the zip archive it was either 40 column or F18A, not 9938 80 columns.

Myself, I was more interested in just the FTP aspect of the software as you are right, MDOS has many of the tools already.

Just a FWIW, in GPL mode, one does have access to all onboard Geneve 512K memory as well as the memory of a converted Myarc 512K card and Memex card. You just need to know what pages you can use without messing up the rest of the operating system. You just have to manually map that memory in. In the grand scheme of things, you have the VDP memory, "Gram/Grom" up to 64K, and 72K Ram/Rom. If you want more memory than that, you can map that memory into the memory mapper in TIMODE of operation. Off the top of my head, I think that memory mapper is at >8000 to >8007 while MDOS mode it is at >F110 to >F117. Grom/Gram memory is not mappable to my knowledge, i.e., you can not switch Grom/Gram banks. There are CRU bits you can set to make some of the RAM/ROM read only.

What you can do though is map a Grom/Gram bank into a Ram bank. Basically, this leaves that Grom bank still mapped as grom memory, but it has also been mapped in as rom/ram memory where assembly code can reside and be useable in the normal memory space.

In principle, if you are mapping memory in on 8K banks, you can use 56K of Grom/Gram as RAM, as well as use everything from >2000 and up as RAM for another 56K + another 8K for the paged module memory space.

At most, you are probably only looking at 5 or so Geneve/TIPI users at most that would benefit for developing a secondary mapping scheme.

Besides any work Tim has done on a Load/Sys for TIPI under GPL, there are only a handful of programs that have ever played with memory mapping to this extreme on a Geneve. It's not difficult, just nobody had the need. First program is MyWord, second program is SoundFX by Barry Boone that loaded very large sound clips, and I think GenTri used it by having a combination Word Process, Terminal Emulator, and Spelling Checker with very large buffers in memory all at the same time.

Beery

Edited by BeeryMiller

Could someone please post an example of their AUTOCMD file and possibly their other script files? As I get older, I find having examples to match with the documentation helps me absorb what I need to know/learn. This awesome DOS is going to be my priority, at least TI-wise, in the coming weeks as I find time. This thing is so transformational and such a leap forward that I have to go all-in.

With Force Command you can load up the TI Extended BASIC cartridge directly from DOS by typing: FG99 BASICG.

(I have the program in my FinalGROM root directory.)

At any rate, I was wondering if any of you gurus out there could figure a way to tweak the Extended BASIC to bypass the cartridge menu screen and have it go directly to the XB command prompt? If we could do that... :-o

xbasic.zip