IGNORED

Atari 810 - the size man the size......

svenski

Finally got hold of a working 810. It arrived today after travelling thousands miles, loose in a beat up box.

If it had been an XF551 it would have bits rattling inside, if it had been a 1050 the front would be hanging off and it would be toast.

As it was an 810 and Atari built them to survive a nuclear attack, it was in one piece.

I looked inside it from the front and I swear you can see a whole city in there with millions of little people going about their daily lives, it is massive. It makes the Astra 2001 dual drive look almost tiny, and the noise .......

Shame some kid used it as a coloring book and covered it in pen and crayon...that took a couple of hours scrubbing to clean up.. :x

I'd go one better staking my old DiskII drive (the ones that used plain old string for the stepper motor) for the Apple against the 810. It's weird, but the further back you go, the more abuse they seem to be able to withstand. That drive survived a trip out of an attic window (don't ask) and the Farmington flood of 1990 (on the floor of a basement apartment closet).

Archived