IGNORED

Utility Cart soon to be available!

Funny/ironic that it looks like a Win3.1 window.  Please, nobody start a flame about this.  This looks like good stuff!

flame.jpg

just kidding. This does look like useful tool with some neat apps, I haven't used most of those utilities in 20 years, might be fun to try them out again. I usually just run games with my sio2pc, a cart might actually get me off my butt into using my 8bits for more :D

Here is a screenshot of our Utility Cart that will be available some time

next month.  Let me know what you think.  There are 20+ utilities

available for doing almost ANYTHING you need done!  Of course this

is in cartridge form!  Here is the screenshot:

utility.jpg

You are so cruel.... I remember alot of those utilities... These and those multi-carts almost makes me want to hook up my 8-bit again. :P

You are so cruel.... I remember alot of those utilities... These and those multi-carts almost makes me want to hook up my 8-bit again.

Do so... at once!! I dug my system out when I first began to read about the availability of MULE and have had a BLAST!!

I've goofed around with it so much recently that my oldest son decided, after watching me, that he wanted to get an 8bit system for his place and play around with it. Even said he wanted to maybe fool around with some programming, starting with Basic. So I'm setting him up with his own system (he's borrowed my XEGS for now) and he's also having a blast. Told me he hasn't touched his PS2 or Xbox since he borrowed it.

Mendon

I think there is a certain simplicity about atari systems that make them so appealing. Just like the simplicity of the game boy advance makes it appealing.

It was so easy to be a one man show in those days, one programmer did the art, sound, music, everything.

These days you have 30-100 people teams to program things (I'm guessing).

Could someone post a blurb on what each of these utilities does and how they would compare to the 'best of breed' - LIke the copy software?

Sorry.. I'd like to help you been its been YEARS since I've done any serious 8bit'ing except for playing some games. I recognize a couple of the programs like MyDOS (another DOS), Translator (allows certain programs that only run on the 400/800 to run on an XL), and MyCopyR (excellent disk copy program) but am drawing a blank on the rest at the moment.

Sorry.

Mendon

ok I'll take a crack at these.. aside from the 3 above mentioned.

Turbo Basic XL - this should be obvious but for those not in the know it was a disk only version of basic. I think it even had a compiler to create standalone programs. (basic interpreter not needed).

Happy master - is probably the backup program for happy mastered enhanced drives (1050's/810's with a happy chip in em). Not sure if this is any good for someone without a happy drive. But probably would come handy for disabling happy mode without booting the happy disk.

1050 diagnostic - never used this but my guess would be that the only useful feature in this program is to check the drive speed. something that disk wizard 2 can do. see next

disk wizard 2 - a program for editing disk sectors directly. Not much good unless your familar with DOS structure and how files are stored (the directory table etc). Handy for examining "protected" DOS formatted disks that use tricks to prevent proper directory listing, as well as hex editing a game (cheating), or even manuall recovering data, etc. I think it comes with a drive speed check routine as well.

Tape2disk - is a program that will read a binary program off of a cassette and modify it so it can be loaded from disk. Not much use on multi-load cassette games, but great for single loads.

Assembler - pretty obvious... an assembly editor, although I can think of two "other" assembly editors that are really good. I have never used this.

super packer - my guess would be sometype of compression program. Maybe it compresses executables so they will be smaller, beats me. Or compresses for transfer over 2400 bps modems. lol

Here is more info on the programs mentioned...

- Tom's Navigator : This is one of the best file-copy programs ! It looks like good, old "Norton Commander" for PC ! It works perfect with Mydos and is able to use subdirctories and to format disks up to 720K !

- Happy Master is a sector editor for all 3 densities ! (get the dos file from my hp ;-))

- Super Packer is one of the best packer-programs for XL done by Bewesoft !

Greetings,

- Mr.Bacardi -

Here is whats in this cart:

1. My Dos (the best dos 2.x clone) support up to 16mb partition if you have a hard drive system etc..

2. Turbo Basic XL v 1.5, includs also the compiler to convert turbo basic files to assembly. also in the cart turbo basic 1.4 that suppor the atari 800

3. MyCopyer - one of the best disk copyer utilites, support extra ram and disk drive upgrade for faster disk copying.. also on the cart is the standard sector copyer 2

4. Toms Nvigator - a Norton Commander clone for the atari, support DOS 2.X & Mydos subdir, easiest way to copy files from disk to disk, disk to ramdisk etc..

5. Dos Menu, a boot menu maker for you dos disks, allowing you to make a menu for your dos .exe / .com files and execute them easely without going to dos

6. Freezer - is a utility that allow you to freeze a disk / tape game, and save the freezed memory into a boot disk. so you can load the freezer then boot your protected disk or load you tape game.. then activate the freezer and save the current status into an executable disk

7. XL/XE translator allowing you to load the old 400/800 software (old 800 os) in the xl/xe computer

8. Happy Master, a disk editor that support single and double density, you can edit the sector data (Internal & Atsci), view the contect of the sector assembly, trace a file and more..

9. 1050 diagnostic is a utility to check you 1050 drive roms, track 0 sensor, disk drive speed.. all you need tool to repar and verify your 1050 is running ok

10. test - a ram test utility that support those extra ram (up to 1meg). will automaticly detect your extra ram.. and you can perfrom a test on each bank. also on the cart is a nice Joystick tester utility.. that will help you to test your joystics..

11 disk wizard 2 is a nice utility for disk editing / disassembly, copy indevidual sectors, trace a broken dos file and fix it.. and more..

12. Hawfen dos is a great single load games utility, with it you can put several single load files into one menu, support single, enhanced & dual density. you can also port your single load tapes files to the menu

13. Tape2disk is a utility to convert you multy-stage tape games into a boot disk automaticly

14. Assembler Editor & Mac65 is also on this cartrige

15. Super Paker is a utility to shrik your .exe .com file in a smaller .exe/.com file.. its a great tool for programmers..

did i forget anything???

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

why not include some graphic viewers and/or sound players as well ?!? One of the programs like: Mega-Graph-View 1.2, Mega-Graph-View 1.3, The Projector, etc. (these are all graphic viewers for various gr. formats) or Mega-Player 1.6, Music-Player 2.1, Smart-Player (these are all sound players) or finally Mega-Player 2.0 (a gfx+msx+fnt+txt player/viewer by MacGyver).

Of course you should not include all of these programs, but one or two of these would be nice, so whenever you encounter a sound or a graphic (or a text/font) you would be able to display it with one of these tools... greetings, Andreas magenheimer.

P.S.: If you do not know / do not have these tools, I can send you copies of them (with small english instructions)... Just e-mail me at amp@abbuc.de

I own the copyright! God Damn you all! I am going to sue!

ha ha ha. :D

Sorry, I could not resist. I really don't own the copyright. Did I fool you all? Not even for a second?

Ohh well. :P

I think I am going to listen to some mp3s I downloaded, heh.

-darkman

Archived