IGNORED

New technique for whitening yellowed plastic

adam1977

Handy if you have a garden and non thieving neighbours, sadly its a no on the garden and a huge yes on the thieving neighbours...We put a pot plant on the balcony the first day we moved in, both the pot plant and the saucer were gone the next morning....True...

I don't think my 2 Amiga's 3 C64's and two Atari's would make it for 10 mins..

Its so bad that if you want to get rid of an old TV you just leave it outside the block door like you forgot to bring it inside, its gone in 5 mins..

Really want to try the idea though but not so sure it will work as well through double glazing on the window sill...

• Like 5

Handy if you have a garden and non thieving neighbours, sadly its a no on the garden and a huge yes on the thieving neighbours...We put a pot plant on the balcony the first day we moved in, both the pot plant and the saucer were gone the next morning....True...

I don't think my 2 Amiga's 3 C64's and two Atari's would make it for 10 mins..

Its so bad that if you want to get rid of an old TV you just leave it outside the block door like you forgot to bring it inside, its gone in 5 mins..

Really want to try the idea though but not so sure it will work as well through double glazing on the window sill...

How about a 2nd story open window? I think it won't work through glass. We recently moved into the country and people don't even lock their doors around here. Lots of firearms and rural countryside make it very low crime area. We still lock our doors out of habit. No gangs around here, thankfully.

• Like 1

My mom told me a story once after thanksgiving when I was a kid she boxed up the remaining turkey carcass and nicely wrapped a box with it in a ribbon and bow and put it out on the sidewalk of our busy street. Sure enough within a few minutes a car stopped and picked it up and took it away. :D :D

• Like 3

All on the ground floor because of my spinal issues..I remember the days of unlocked doors and almost no crime, all this crime is a hazard of the city I'm afraid...

Shame about the through the window probable not work, I just don't want to retro brite stuff because of the streaking and brittle issues..

Edited by Mclaneinc

My mom told me a story once after thanksgiving when I was a kid she boxed up the remaining turkey carcass and nicely wrapped a box with it in a ribbon and bow and put it out on the sidewalk of our busy street. Sure enough within a few minutes a car stopped and picked it up and took it away. :D :D

Lol.....Yup, its seriously like that here, you don't even need to make it look nice...These people steal / remove anything...

This works like a champ. I left my Esc key out for one sunny day on an XE Game System keyboard and it became noticably lighter. I don't have anything that is terribly yellowed, but I'll end up doing this to all my XE and ST stuff. I have a grey Japanese Saturn that is slightly yellowed as well.

v70JTWZ.jpg

Edited by Major Havoc 2049
  • Like 1

I have always felt that people go wayyyyy above and beyond trying to make the most complex retrobrite setup possible

We got 1000 watt uv bulbs army grade hydrogen peroxide a sude 've machine etc

I just put some dollar store cheap in a bucket and leave it in the sun for a day... And now if you got a few days one doesnt even have to do that

Another key take away from that video...

GET RID OF ALL YOUR FLUORESCENT BULBS INCLUDING CFL'S! Replace them with LED.

Or at least, keep all your equipment away from fluorescent / CFL's.

(I always hated CFL's anyways... so good riddance!)

• Like 3

This works like a champ. I left my Esc key out for one sunny day on an XE Game System keyboard and it became noticably lighter. I don't have anything that is terribly yellowed, but I'll end up doing this to all my XE and ST stuff. I have a grey Japanese Saturn that is slightly yellowed as well.

v70JTWZ.jpg

Fantastic :)

Lol.....Yup, its seriously like that here, you don't even need to make it look nice...These people steal / remove anything...

There must be a place not too far away you can do this. Maybe bring a book and read for a few hours in the park for the four brightest hours of the day??

Having a fan blow on it would keep it cool.

I wonder if it is ill advised to leave the brown plastic XL case and key caps in the sun, since it may bleach the color out. So separating the brown keyboard area of the case from the rest may be well advised...?? The beautiful Alps and AWC key caps seem to slowly bleach to white even in the full dark of the original box Styrofoam.

I also wonder about the 800 keycaps. The white type-font on the 800 key caps does yellow, but I wonder if the brown will bleach in the sun. Maybe it's a case of yes the key caps will bleach in sunlight, but only after several weeks whereas the type-font will retrobright in a few days.

So it may be prudent to wait to see other people's failed sun baking retrobrighting attempts with the darker plastics. I was hesitant to peroxide after seeing many peroxide-ruined cases.

There must be a place not too far away you can do this. Maybe bring a book and read for a few hours in the park for the four brightest hours of the day??

Its odd, I have 2 big area's of grass just behind my back window BUT this is a council estate full of drug dealers and gangs, add to that it seems its become a dumping ground for problem families, so taking gear out with you and having it on show just isn't worth the hassle. I'm a big lad with a reputation for not putting up with crap but its the idiots that try it on thinking they can sell it for drink or drugs. I may take the guts out and try with just the cases ie giving it little value.

I kid you not, its a rough rough area, I've lived in some super nice places and some not so good ones over the years but this place with the people that are in it make it a test...Such a shame as I'm typing this with my window open and all I can hear are starlings, robins and sparrows chirping along while looking at trees and a field of grass. Shame about the people...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 4