Photo

Could Tutankham be done for the 7800?

12 replies to this topic

#1 SalemFrost7800 OFFLINE  

SalemFrost7800

Dragonstomper

• 904 posts

Posted Fri May 17, 2019 8:17 PM

I always loved Tutankham and now with the 2 joystick controller from Edladdin for the 7800 Tutankham could be played the way it was mean to be played, with the right joystick firing (like Robotron). 

I'm sure the graphics on the 7800 would look better than Colecovision.

Attached Thumbnails

• tutankham-scr-4.png

Edited by SalemFrost7800, Fri May 17, 2019 8:18 PM.

#2 sixersfan105 ONLINE  

sixersfan105

Dragonstomper

• 773 posts

Posted Fri May 17, 2019 8:20 PM

Yeah, sure it could. Just need a dev interested in making it! I've been trying to get someone to make Tapper for the 7800 and an advanced version of Lode Runner (think a dumbed down The Legend Returns) for a while now haha!

#3 slx OFFLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• 1,881 posts

Posted Fri May 17, 2019 11:04 PM

I always loved Tutankham and now with the 2 joystick controller from Edladdin for the 7800 Tutankham could be played the way it was mean to be played, with the right joystick firing (like Robotron). 

I always liked that game but even on the Arcade its only firing in the direction you move. I think that is deliberate to make it harder.

As for the 7800s ability, I lack the expertise to judge, but large-map smooth scrolling might be taxing. A worthy candidate, however!

#4 Jinks ONLINE  

Jinks

River Patroller

• 4,708 posts

Posted Sat May 18, 2019 8:06 AM

Yeah, sure it could. Just need a dev interested in making it! I've been trying to get someone to make Tapper for the 7800 and an advanced version of Lode Runner (think a dumbed down The Legend Returns) for a while now haha!

Tapper would be great! My fav game

#5 PacManPlus OFFLINE  

PacManPlus

River Patroller

• 4,991 posts
  • Atari 7800 & NES Developer

Posted Sat May 18, 2019 8:33 AM

I see there's no scanner in the Colecovision version (unlike the arcade).  That would make things go quicker.

This can absolutely be done on the 7800.  Left/Right scrolling is easy.

It looks like there are only 5/6 enemies on the screen at one time, at least in the beginning.

Regarding the twin controller, you know that you can't shoot up or down in this game, right?  So the 7800 buttons / joypad are more than adequate for left-right shooting.

Edited by PacManPlus, Sat May 18, 2019 8:34 AM.

#6 SalemFrost7800 OFFLINE  

SalemFrost7800

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted Sat May 18, 2019 9:09 AM

I see there's no scanner in the Colecovision version (unlike the arcade).  That would make things go quicker.

This can absolutely be done on the 7800.  Left/Right scrolling is easy.

It looks like there are only 5/6 enemies on the screen at one time, at least in the beginning.

Regarding the twin controller, you know that you can't shoot up or down in this game, right?  So the 7800 buttons / joypad are more than adequate for left-right shooting.

I know it only fires left and right but since I have the duel controller I thought it would make it more like the arcade. I actually enjoy playing the 2600 version but can't help but think of how much better it would look on the 7800

#7 BydoEmpire OFFLINE  

BydoEmpire

River Patroller

• 2,869 posts

Posted Sat May 18, 2019 10:37 AM

If it could be done well on the 2600, it can be done better on the 7800.  The 2600 version is pretty fun, one of my favorites back in the day.

#8 JonnyBritish OFFLINE  

JonnyBritish

Moonsweeper

• 432 posts

Posted Sun May 19, 2019 4:56 PM

I would also like to see rapper on the 7800 anbx saw this article
http://www.kmjn.org/...ame_patent.html

#9 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,728 posts

Posted Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 AM

Long time fan of the arcade game and most ports, but am I the only one that wouldn't mind a version where 4-way directional shooting was implemented? Wouldn't care that it's not as "arcade accurate" and always wished it was an option in home ports at least. Would especially come in handy on the later levels as the monsters become relentless.

#10 VectorGamer OFFLINE  

VectorGamer

Go Sleep In the Cold

• 15,218 posts
  • \m/

Posted Mon May 20, 2019 12:08 PM

Always love these "could it be done?" threads...

If Galaga could be done on the Atari 2600, what do you think the answer is?

#11 GoldLeader OFFLINE  

GoldLeader

River Patroller

• 2,654 posts

Posted Mon May 20, 2019 12:37 PM

Long time fan of the arcade game and most ports, but am I the only one that wouldn't mind a version where 4-way directional shooting was implemented? Wouldn't care that it's not as "arcade accurate" and always wished it was an option in home ports at least. Would especially come in handy on the later levels as the monsters become relentless.

It would be a cool variation.  I remember thinking that it would have been cool on the arcade game, but at the same time thinking then it wouldn't really be Tutankham...My friend and I found the arcade cabinet in a burger place called Burger Inn here in Cheyenne in the late 90's and played a few games, but it hasn't been there in years.   Neat seeing it in the wild like that though.

#12 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Gobs of money!

• 26,067 posts
  • Meh

Posted Mon May 20, 2019 2:02 PM

There is the Flash button...

#13 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,728 posts

Posted Mon May 20, 2019 2:27 PM

Always love these "could it be done?" threads...

If Galaga could be done on the Atari 2600, what do you think the answer is?

As time and brilliant programmers have proved... anything is possible on the VCS and now the 7800. :love:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users