IGNORED

SIDE2 + Ultimate 1M problems

TGB1718

I have just bought the above kit, all sorts of problems initially due to incompatable versions of the firmware, managed to sort that (Atari wouldn't boot if SIDE2 was inserted).

My problem now is that I initialized a 1Gb CF card using FDISK, 450Mb to APT, the rest as FAT (following video instructions), then used FORMAT to make the Atari partitions

useable.

The put CF card into PC to copy .ATR files across, Lotharek's instructions says to format the CF card in PC (remaining space not used by APT), it does this ok and I copied

loads of .ATR's to that partition.

When I put the card back in 130XE, I can't see any of the .ATR's and if I boot to Spartados, I can't see the APT partitions I formatted.

Have tried several times now and can't seem to get things working.

What settings should I have in the U1M for the Side2 loader to work, I know by enableing/disabling settings things work differently, but I can't seem to find

any clear instructions on using these 2 together and how to get the "format's" to work.

Any help or instructions would be great before I tear all my hair out (whats left of it anyway :mad: )

Did your Ultimate 1MB board come with Jon’s BIOS or the (frankly awful) original “ULRIMARE” version with the black/purple menu?

If the latter, update immediately to Jon’s much, MUCH better “alternate” BIOS.

Next, make sure you’ve got the PBI BIOS enabled and the Hard Disk option enabled as well. This will enable the SIDE Loader in the U1MB to see and mount ATR files.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply, I did have that horrible purple menu, very limited, have updated.

I have managed to see the .ATR's and they seem to work fine now.

I still have one problem, I can't see any of the APT partitions I created.

In U1M I disable SpartaDOS and PBI, set switch to lower position, Side2 boots into SpartaDOS fine, I can see my Sdrive-Max as D1:

When I created the CF Card, I used D2:, D3,D4 etc, leaving D1: for the floppy.

But those partitons don't seem to exist, if I run FDISK it wants to initialize the card again, so will lose the FAT partition.

Sorted now, it appears it was something Windows 10 was doing when I did the format, luckily I have an old PC that I used with SIO2PC

and had an old Window XP installation, I loaded the CF card on that PC, formatted the partition, copied some games to it, put it

back into ti 130XE, I could see and play the games and then changing settings, reboot and I can still see the APT partitions, copied some

files and MAC65 off my SDrive, assembled some code, so it's looking great.

Thanks agin DrVenkman, you pointed me in the right direction (btw, thats a nice scope you got ;-) ) I'm a cheapskate, got a Picotech 2204A for £99 but does the job

• Like 1

What settings should I have in the U1M for the Side2 loader to work, I know by enableing/disabling settings things work differently, but I can't seem to find

any clear instructions on using these 2 together and how to get the "format's" to work.

Any help or instructions would be great before I tear all my hair out (whats left of it anyway :mad: )

https://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Ultimate-1MB-Incognito-and-1088XEL-U1MB-Firmware-Manual.pdf

https://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/APT-Software-Manual-5th-Edition.pdf

• Like 2