The AtariAge Forum is undergoing a major upgrade today.  The forum is currently in read-only mode except for the Announcements Forum.  Please read this important post!

Photo

just one question....

3 replies to this topic

#1 eddhell OFFLINE  

eddhell

Star Raider

• 53 posts

Posted Sat May 25, 2019 7:15 PM

ok, I'm new to 2600 programming, but have been a programmer for years (basic, pascal, cobol) and the logic is basically the same with different syntax here and there...so I've been reading tons of posts, tutorials and guides to mess around with my own projects and I keep running into the same burning question:

How in the hell did they get CHESS to run on a 4k ROM in 1979?????  I understand this was the game that caused them to come up with bank-switching, BUT THEY DID NOT use it on the shipped version....so I'm completely baffled by the programming with the limitations on variables compared to the number of pieces, each with multiple moves and directions, knights with their weird 'L' shaped movement and ability to jump over other pieces, specialty moves (en passant, castling), keeping up with 32 pieces and 64 possible board locations.....HOW did they cram all this logic into 4k???

Edited by eddhell, Sat May 25, 2019 7:17 PM.

#2 SpiceWare OFFLINE  

SpiceWare

Draconian

• 12,828 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Sat May 25, 2019 8:24 PM

How about 1K?

http://atariage.com/...r-atari-vcs2600

#3 eddhell OFFLINE  

eddhell

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts

Posted Sat May 25, 2019 10:01 PM

that's impressive too, although i see it has a few things left out from the constraints...."no move validation" -  i would imagine that freed some space along with variable usage....

but still impresses me since I can't even display a game board the exact way i want yet...

#4 SpiceWare OFFLINE  

SpiceWare

Draconian

• 12,828 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Sun May 26, 2019 7:12 AM

It was done for a 1K challenge, I bet he could easily add in castling, move validations, etc. if he expanded it to 2K.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users