Incredible Hulk prototype

26 replies to this topic

#1 Sanjou Miretou OFFLINE  

Sanjou Miretou

Combat Commando

• 3 posts

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:43 PM

I don't have an Atari 2600 console, but I have an emulator, and was
wondering if anybody knew where to find the Incredible Hulk game ?

#2 Snider-man OFFLINE  

Snider-man

Stargunner

• 1,987 posts
  • Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:45 PM

LOL. At this time, the only place you can find it is "in your dreams." To date, no protos of this game have surfaced, nor have any been rumored to exist. Sorry. ;)

#3 NovaXpress OFFLINE  

NovaXpress

Skeet Shooter

• 10,745 posts
  • Still Smokin'

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:53 PM

So how many of you almost made a mess in your pants when you saw the name of this thread?

#4 sku_u OFFLINE  

sku_u

Quadrunner

• 13,984 posts

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:59 PM

So how many of you almost made a mess in your pants when you saw the name of this thread?

* sheepishly raises hand*

This game was rumored as a game from Parker Bros., but AFAIK no prototypes actually exist.

#5 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Commander

• 34,267 posts
  • I am the one who knocks!

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:12 PM

Oh yeah ... :D

Attached Thumbnails

• hulk.jpg

#6 Big Player OFFLINE  

Big Player

River Patroller

• 3,664 posts
  • Overrated 70's dinosaur

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:37 PM

Ha Ha, my first thought on reading the thread title was: Hey, you're about a week late there. Nice timing :D

#7 moycon OFFLINE  

moycon

Quadrunner

• 22,078 posts
  • moycon?? What the hell is that??

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:12 PM

Crap I thought for sure this proto would be released in conjuction with the movie...ALA: TLOTR

Yeah I got my hopes up when I saw the thread title.

*sigh*

#8 Sanjou Miretou OFFLINE  

Sanjou Miretou

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:44 PM

Posted Image (alt+p)
Incredible Hulk box scan

and

Posted Image (alt+p)
Incredible Hulk prototype screenshot

#9 NovaXpress OFFLINE  

NovaXpress

Skeet Shooter

• 10,745 posts
  • Still Smokin'

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:49 PM

We've all seen the drawings. An actual game is not known to exist. There are rumors that the creator of the long-awaited "Knight Rider" 2600 project may be working on his own Hulk game as we speak, so let's hope for the best.

#10 krisjohn OFFLINE  

krisjohn

Stargunner

• 1,052 posts

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:49 PM

Early screenshots used in pre-release advertising are often completely faked. A scan from a magazine that proports to include a screenshot is not proof that a prototype was created.

#11 krisjohn OFFLINE  

krisjohn

Stargunner

• 1,052 posts

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:02 AM

Here's those pictures in a better context:

Posted Image

From http://www.tripoint..../parker/pb.html

#12 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 23,647 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:44 AM

Early screenshots used in pre-release advertising are often completely faked.  A scan from a magazine that proports to include a screenshot is not proof that a prototype was created.

:idea: IMO this "screenshot" is definitely a fake!

I can see no way how to create so many different playfield colors in a row. This was already tough with my Turbo fake (3 colors/row -> 1 static and 2 changes) but here you would need 5 colors (~2 + 4 = ~6 changes!).

So no "April Fool!" Hulk from me. :D

#13 dr. kwack OFFLINE  

dr. kwack

Moonsweeper

• 383 posts

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:40 AM

I don't know, maybe I'm just optimistic when it comes to the "Long Lost" stuff, but we have seen LOTR, Ewok Adv., and the thrill a minute McDonalds show up from that catalog! I'm still waiting for James Bond: Octopussy to surface- that one at least had ads run for it!

Didn't Digital Press stick up a bunch of pics of prototypes they found and were sitting on about a year ago? If I remember, there were all kinds of cart shells in there. Whatever became of that?

#14 Godzilla OFFLINE  

Godzilla

Quadrunner

• 6,794 posts

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:44 AM

octopussy was actually reviewed too, back in the day. so id say there is a solid chance it's real. iirc it was shown too. (at CES or smthn,)

#15 King Atari OFFLINE  

King Atari

Quadrunner

• 5,331 posts

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:48 PM

Those screenshots look cool (and somewhat like Survival Run), but I seriously doubt something like that could be done on the 2600 and still manage to play well. But then, I'm neither a programmer nor a 2600 tech expert, so anything's possible.

I will say it's too bad this was never released, would've made a great companion piece to Spider Man.

#16 NovaXpress OFFLINE  

NovaXpress

Skeet Shooter

• 10,745 posts
  • Still Smokin'

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:52 PM

If Parker had made a X-Man proto, how valuable would THAT be right now?

Maybe Spider-Man wasn't a big seller. If it was they should have grabbed every marvel property they could, much like the movie studios are doing now.

#17 slapdash OFFLINE  

slapdash

Stargunner

• 1,210 posts

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:25 PM

octopussy was actually reviewed too, back in the day. so id say there is a solid chance it's real.

Who remembers Imagic's "Murder On The Orient Express" for the 2600?

#18 NovaXpress OFFLINE  

NovaXpress

Skeet Shooter

• 10,745 posts
  • Still Smokin'

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:29 PM

Electronic Fun magazine published a phony game review in an April Fool issue. The game was called "Orient Express" for the 2600 by Imagin (clue to the hoax). The screenshot was MORE than impossible for a 2600 game or even a Colecovision game. The game concept was actually rather entertaining.

The punchline: a competing magazine soon published a review of the phony game and thereby severaly embarassed themsleves.

But game mags of today would never review a game thay hadn't played, right? Uh. . . right?

#19 SS OFFLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 6,150 posts

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:25 PM

no "April Fool!" Hulk from me. :D

I was just thinking how much it lookes like a tri-screen Turbo! :P

#20 slapdash OFFLINE  

slapdash

Stargunner

• 1,210 posts

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:26 PM

Electronic Fun magazine published a phony game review in an April Fool issue. The game was called "Orient Express" for the 2600 by Imagin (clue to the hoax).

The punchline: a competing magazine soon published a review of the phony game and thereby severaly embarassed themsleves.

Ding ding! That's 100 points to NovaXpress for getting not only the reference, and the implication (whyfor I posted it), but also correcting a couple details I screwed up!

But game mags of today would never review a game thay hadn't played, right? Uh. . . right?

For the most part, that's probably true, but... well... you never know.

#21 Xot OFFLINE  

Xot

River Patroller

• 4,608 posts
  • Because I'm -- A NINJA!!

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:56 PM

For the most part, that's probably true, but... well... you never know.

It wasn't long ago that EGM was lifting material straight of of Usenet and publishing it verbatim as their own. In particular I remember them using a Mortal Kombat II move list that deliberately had false moves added - EGM printed them all.

#22 NovaXpress OFFLINE  

NovaXpress

Skeet Shooter

• 10,745 posts
  • Still Smokin'

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:23 PM

Someone needs to dig up and post that Orient Express review without comment. You know it would briefly raise hell.

#23 rolenta OFFLINE  

rolenta

Stargunner

• 1,043 posts

Posted Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:45 AM

octopussy was actually reviewed too, back in the day. so id say there is a solid chance it's real. iirc it was shown too. (at CES or smthn,)

Octopussy was shown at CES. The Incredible Hulk wasn't.

#24 lhfreak OFFLINE  

lhfreak

Moonsweeper

• 267 posts

Posted Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:36 AM

I would think that there IS a Hulk proto out there somewhere. Yes the screenshot is fake, but I venture to guess that whoever 'made' the screenshot for the catalog did indeed see a real proto. Look at the other 'screenshots' in the PB catalog. LOTR, McDonalds. These more or less looked just the way the actual protos did. Something must (or must have) existed......

#25 NovaXpress OFFLINE  

NovaXpress

Skeet Shooter

• 10,745 posts
  • Still Smokin'

Posted Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:30 PM

I would think that there IS a Hulk proto out there somewhere. Yes the screenshot is fake, but I venture to guess that whoever 'made' the screenshot for the catalog did indeed see a real proto. Look at the other 'screenshots' in the PB catalog. LOTR, McDonalds. These more or less looked just the way the actual protos did. Something must (or must have) existed......

The classic gaming era is filled with artist-rendered "screenshots" of games that we know never even made it to the development stage. Often the drawing would come first with the programmer trying to copy it. It's easy enough to draw up a fake game. With 70s/80s camera technology actual screenshots often looked bad in print so the paintings were very common.
Now it may be of note that Parker Bros wasn't known for doing this. That may be telling us something. But one thing about LOTR and McDeath's is that anecdotal evidence of their existence was floating around long before the games surfaced. Everyone believes that Turbo by Coleco really exists because of testimony from those who've seen it. At this point, no one has claimed to have seen or known anything about a Hulk game.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users