IGNORED

Multicart #3 is now available for purchase!

Hi,

Did you get all the rights to publish these games again? This must be a big job to track all these people and get a license to release it.

TXG/MNX

I am savoring the snide sarcasm of this post. Mmmm, troll-o-riffic!

I strongly suspect that you know the answer to this question already. If this is the case, then the only reason to ask such a question is to do something analogous to floating a turd in the punchbowl at a very intimate party...and we all appreciate it! :(

If you are prepared to take some sort of "moralizing stance" on this topic then please start by destroying any software you possess that is not a genuine factory-produced copy (this applies to all platforms, of course) Then let's talk... This will take you a while...we'll wait. :roll:

"Let he who is entirely without unlicensed software, cast the first irrelevant copyright-infringement stone..."

It AMAAAAZES me how often this topic comes up on this forum. I mean, a DEAD PLATFORM (dead = no longer active in the market), with a cult following trying to keep the old beasts alive (which almost necessarily includes some form of piracy), and we've got this handfull of snotty wannabe-lawyers (or perhaps they are actually professional lawyers?) hypocritically baiting all the "copyright outlaws", which includes PROBABLY EVERYBODY HERE, including the baiters themselves. ...and they are MASTER-baiters... (pun fully intended)

Is there some higher purpose to these "copyright morality eruptions"? Are there 8-bit enthusiasts who are self-defeatingly trying to kill the platform off once and for all? Cutting off their own noses... Seems senseless to me.

Case in point: I seem to recall a current employee of Electronic Arts, applauding Sunmark for releasing MULE on cartridge. EA is the extant copyright holder. They seemed to be delighted, rather than upset.

Am I missing something here?

Case in point:  I seem to recall a current employee of Electronic Arts, applauding Sunmark for releasing MULE on cartridge.  EA is the extant copyright holder.  They seemed to be delighted, rather than upset.

Am I missing something here?

I don't think one employee represents the sentiments of the company.

But heck, the people here who take a moral stand probably have 1500 pirated games on hand anyway. What I think bothers them is that someone has come up with a way to make money with what we've all rightfully stolen. 8)

So, don't think of the cartridge as the selling of a bunch of pirated games, but rather as an organizer for what we've already archived. This is what the copyright holders should have done a long time ago, to offer collections of abondonware at a discounted price.

On the other hand, all this piracy may eventually lead to major software houses abandoning the 8-bit. ;)

-Bry

I don't think one employee represents the sentiments of the company.  

But heck, the people here who take a moral stand probably have 1500 pirated games on hand anyway. What I think bothers them is that someone has come up with a way to make money with what we've all rightfully stolen.  8)  

So, don't think of the cartridge as the selling of a bunch of pirated games, but rather as an organizer for what we've already archived. This is what the copyright holders should have done a long time ago, to offer collections of abondonware at a discounted price.

On the other hand, all this piracy may eventually lead to major software houses abandoning the 8-bit.  ;)  

-Bry

Bry,

Concisely, elegantly, and wittily put. My hat's off to you! :D

Andy

Nice collection of games (MC 1, 2, 3). Good looking interface and layout. However, you guys really should get someone to proofread your multicart menus. Kangeroo, Astrochance, Wizard of War, others? These errors could easily be avoided to make a more polished and professional product. Just a thought.

Yeah there looks like some rather boring titles on this one, more so than the first two. I'm still waiting for something a little more focused. All the 400/800 only titles or maybe just the Synapse ones, maybe an All Activision cart, All Parker Bros, or some arcade collections, I don't know just something with a more consistent theme.

Nice collection of games (MC 1, 2, 3).  Good looking interface and layout.  However, you guys really should get someone to proofread your multicart menus.  Kangeroo, Astrochance, Wizard of War, others?  These errors could easily be avoided to make a more polished and professional product.  Just a thought.

I think it adds "kitsch".

Nir & Mark really do a great job with the carts, though, and it almost seems a little mean to quibble about various misspellings on the cart menus. :)

I agreee with ponderosa, since these carts are $40/50 they should be of high production quality...

There is no excuse for mispelling a game name on these menus. And Mark and Nir should strive to get it right, they are quite capable of expending a few minutes to get that aspect correct if its taken many hours to build the cart image and manufacture them...

sTeVE

Nice collection of games (MC 1, 2, 3).  Good looking interface and layout.  However, you guys really should get someone to proofread your multicart menus.  Kangeroo, Astrochance, Wizard of War, others?  These errors could easily be avoided to make a more polished and professional product.  Just a thought.

I think it adds "kitsch".

Nir & Mark really do a great job with the carts, though, and it almost seems a little mean to quibble about various misspellings on the cart menus. :)

Yeah!... well at least the names are more than 11 characters. But I agree it wouldn't take much effort to fix the names of the games.

If I'm not mistaken Astrochase is one word not two. Also Kangeroo should be Kangaroo, Kinderkomp should be KinderComp, and Star Wars is two words.

Sorry, I'm a bit anal about these things...

Edit: Hmm... On second thought Astro Chase might be two words, anyone know for sure?

Tempest

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Did you get all the rights to publish these games again? This must be a big job to track all these people and get a license to release it.

TXG/MNX

I am savoring the snide sarcasm of this post. Mmmm, troll-o-riffic!

I would normally stay out of this kind of thing, but I know TXG personally (as in having met him in person) and I can tell you he is being quite sincere, it was a straight question which I was about to ask myself. If such a cartridge is being so blatantly offered for commercial distribution, I, like TXG, genuinely wonder about the logistics of doing it legitimately. This is no moralizing stance, it's more concern for the company involved. Snide sarcasm it is most certainly not.

Perhaps you don't know of Tim Conrardy, another regular contributor at MyAtari magazine, who works tirelessly spending personal time and money to track down former developers of Atari ST MIDI and music application software, to get it released as either freeware or shareware, in some cases even upated. At the same time this gets new users for the software, as he writes a monthly tutorial in MyAtari. Look at the result of his work at his personal web site http://tamw.atari-users.net/ and at MyAtari magazine, http://www.myatari.net/back.htm (pick just about any issue from 4 onwards, that's January 2001)

I strongly suspect that you know the answer to this question already.  If this is the case, then the only reason to ask such a question is to do something analogous to floating a turd in the punchbowl at a very intimate party...and we all appreciate it!  :(

What's that all about? I should also point out to you that TXG is a serious and dedicated Atari player/collector (as you should see from his sig) and has contributed a lot to this forum and the Atari scene in general. Look at part of his collection here:

http://www.myatari.net/issues/dec2001/tipofday.htm

Is there some higher purpose to these "copyright morality eruptions"?  Are there 8-bit enthusiasts who are self-defeatingly trying to kill the platform off once and for all?  Cutting off their own noses...  Seems senseless to me.

I think the ones jumping the gun are the ones erupting. TXG asked a perfectly straightforward and polite question and all I see here is people immediately snapping back and criticizing while none actually answering the question or making a half-reasonable attempt to do so.

Hi,

It's funny to see all these reactions after one simple question.

Why I asked it? I tell you. I don't care if you publish more carts like these... when there is a demand for it, I will not stop you, but I know Lance of Video 61 also made/sells new cartridges and did spend alot of time to get the rights of the software he sold on cartridges... So I wondered if this was the samething, just curious.

I never intended to stop people to produce carts like this. All this 8-bit support is cool... 8)

This is my last message about this topic, when it becomes a 'flame war' then I am considering to leave this board because I think everybody has the right to ask questions without being called names...

TXG/MNX

...I know Lance of Video 61 also made/sells new cartridges and did spend alot of time to get the rights of the software he sold on cartridges... So I wondered if this was the samething, just curious.

I never intended to stop people to produce carts like this. All this 8-bit support is cool... 8)  

This is my last message about this topic, when it becomes a 'flame war' then I am considering to leave this board because I think everybody has the right to ask questions without being called names...  

TXG/MNX

What follows is intended as an apology:

TXG/MNX, lais, et.al.,

lais's post prior to yours caused me to reconsider the significance of this topic and my attitude about it.

I sincerely apologize for perceiving and succumbing to "flame bait" where there was none intended. Nothing I said was truly intended as a personal insult. Unfortunately, there have been some recent posts on this topic that were clearly posted with ill intention, and I was getting tired of it.

As Bryede astutely observed, Sunmark is basically offering a product/service that organizes material that most of us had already. There could be very well be copyright issues involved, but in this particular scenario, under these particular circumstances, it does not benefit me personally to be concerned about them.

We as a community are marginalized enough, and I hope never to do anything that further marginalizes it. I was (in my own oversensitive way) trying to defend the people who would market new products & services for the 8-bits. Evidently, I got a little carried away. Sorry.

Ultimately, this is not my battle, so I beg pardon of anyone who got scorched in my rant, and I vow never to flame again. (very serious about this)

Reformed,

andy

...and yes, all the 8-bit support IS very cool :D

Archived