IGNORED

Power Supply

darkman

So I got a Power Supply off ebay... They claimed it workes on the Atari 400... however I am not sure if it does (before I plug it into my Atari 800 etc and fry it I thought I would check with you guys)

I looked at the specs of my Atari 400/800 power supplies and they are different.

This is the power supply I recieved. Part No. C018187. Input 120VAC 60Hz 38VA. Output 9.3VDC At 1.95A.

Please Help!

Thanks

-darkman

I dunno...I have two different ones, both labelled for Atari computers.  One is labelled DC output, and another AC.  Either one works for me on both the old 800 computer or the 1050 drive.

Well, technically, the part number he listed is for a 5200 supply, but since the 400/800/1200XL/810/1050 etc... have input rectifiers, they'll take DC in the place of AC, although the voltages derived from it may be too low (when 9VAC is rectified, it generates a higher DC voltage that can be used to generate 5 and 12 volts. When 9VDC goes through the rectifier, it comes out as 9V and cannot power the 12V regulator). In other words, using a DC supply may cause problems. The question is, how are these ending up in the hands of 8-bit users?

-Bry

hummm... so I guess I can use it, but shouldn't?  

I doubt it would hurt it, but it may not be reliable. Best bet is to locate a real 9VAC brick. Atari made them in different amp ratings (because 810's draw more than 800's) but you can use any of them, except the dinky one for the 1030 modem!

-Bry

Archived