IGNORED

"Pocket Modem" docs needed

I recently won Pocket Modem (cartridge-based modem/terminal software, c. 1984 by BOT Engineering) in an auction...and realize that I won't get much use out of it without an instruction manual or supporting documentation. Does anyone have a copy of the cart manual that they could photocopy (I'll buy or trade for it) for me?

Do you have the Pocket Modem as well? The cartridge came packaged with the modem (I think the terminal was available on disk too). If I remember correctly, this modem was 300 baud, but could also go up to 500 baud when connecting to another Pocket Modem. I used to own one for my Atari 400 and I think it is a very basic terminal, and you won't be able to do much with it unless you have the Pocket Modem (it won't work with any other modem, since the Pocket Modem plugged directly to the SIO port)

I used to also have the Pocket Modem Drivers, which allowed you to access the pocket modem in Atari BASIC. That was cool being able to write a BBS in ATARI BASIC! Those were the days!

Do you have the Pocket Modem as well?  

No. :sad:

I used to also have the Pocket Modem Drivers, which allowed you to access the pocket modem in Atari BASIC.  That was cool being able to write a BBS in ATARI BASIC! Those were the days!

I'm going to have to find a Pocket Modem to try this cart out on now. I think that one or two AAers still have BBSes...perhaps it's time to give them a call! :)

Good luck finding one! These were sold in Canada from a company in Milton (near Oakville, Ontario, Canada) called Bot Engineering. They also made similar hardware for the Commodore 64 (also called the Pocket Modem). The modem was packaged in a small cardboard white box (very primative packaging, no fancy color packaging

)

I remember paying over $300 Canadian dollars for the Pocket Modem + Cartridge in 1983. A bargain considering the other options for modems on the 8 bit at the time.

• Like 1

Well, you never know what may turn up at Value Village. I can't recall ever having seen "Pocket Modem" for sale in the Toronto area in the '80s at the stores that I frequented (G. Weir Computers; Compustore; that one on Wilson Ave. in Downsview), but perhaps I was just too focussed on my SX212. It certainly would be a "neat" item to acquire!

• 11 years later...

Well, this a probably a little late (by 12 years!) but I stumbled onto this thread looking for Pocket Modem info. Nastalga! I knew Greg Weir and went to school (Gr 7- 13) with his brother Jonathan! They got me into home computers! At any rate, I have a pocket modem sitting on my shelp right in fronto of me. If I recall correctly, You just had to install the modem and cartridge and the modem was available as a terminal foor outgoing calls. I also ran a BBS on my 2 floppies!!! Ant any rate, I don't have any pecific documuntation but If I can help at all, let me know!

Tracey

Here is an EXE of the Pocket Modem software (with docs) along with the Pocket Modem driver disk.

Sorry I took so long to provide this .... ;-)

attachicon.gifPocket Modem Disk Side 1.ATR

attachicon.gifPocket Modem Disk Side 2.ATR

attachicon.gifPocket Modem Driver Disk Side 1.ATR

what was the driver disk used for? I have the cart, modem, and manual and it's all self contained.

• 6 years later...
On 7/29/2021 at 1:49 PM, cx2k said:

Bumping this topic. Recently, AA user @scottyy scored a Pocket Modem cart which i dumped for him. Software is version 2.06 which is earlier than the 2.08 that has been floating around. Sent to Atarimania and included here!

Thanks for sharing @scottyy !!!

Pocket1.png

Pocket2.png

Pocket Modem8k.bin 8 kB · 8 downloads

You're very welcome!  Thank you for all that you have done!

I picked up one of these things in the past.... My disk appears to be different than others seen so far. Different background colour, version 3.2A. Mine did not include a cartridge, and had no side 2. Indeed baud rate can go up to 500 (as well as 110, 300, 400)

AT300.png.d34a094f9e2c6c7c329f4924b0304384.png AT300-500bps.png.8bb2690bbc3704e0c0589a7139315d39.png

AtariMuseum appears to be down at the moment?

Mine also came with a manual, a CompuServe booklet, and an addendum paper indicating the possibility to send it in for an upgrade to 1200bps:

Supplement.thumb.jpg.d5dbe8e1189a2b37328c99f27b1b0b36.jpg

PocketModem.thumb.jpg.d8b7afe8a2793a7c74171da52fd5eff8.jpg 149802284_diskmanual1536.thumb.jpg.f15fb06513810a47528e7c9b1e0bf34c.jpgmanual-preview.thumb.jpg.dac52aa5d9d038b842825522ccb69257.jpg

Let me know if this manual is different than whats already out there and I'll scan it...

AT300.ATR