IGNORED

had question about xeg ports

Shannon

I was looking at this guy and I noticed it has an audio out. I'm assuming this is mono only. I'm guessing the video out is composite out.

Anyways can this bad boy be modded to do stereo sound by adding an extra pokey? Is it easy to do?

I was looking at this guy and I noticed it has an audio out.  I'm assuming this is mono only.  I'm guessing the video out is composite out.

Yes.

Anyways can this bad boy be modded to do stereo sound by adding an extra pokey?  Is it easy to do?

Yes it can. You need to seach for information on the Gumby upgrade. The Pokey is soldered in in the XEGS (and many XL's), so that won't make it easier.

-Bry

I just use a y-cable to split my audio into two channels, so it sounds right on my stereo. Does it really make much difference modding a system, 8-bit or otherwise, for stereo out? Most systems didn't have it originally, so I would think most programmers didn't really create games with stereo effects, since it would go unheard. So what does one gain by modding? I know there's a stereo mod for the 2600 as well. I have never understood this. :?

I guess in the 8-bits case, maybe there are ways of utilizing it, new programs that have been made more recently, but for most games from 15-20 years ago and more, this doesn't really change much does it?

Oh, if all you want to do is drive 2 channels, then a Y-cable would work fine. A lot of the new demo-scene stuff uses 2 Pokeys and sounds pretty cool, but old stuff won't use the 2nd Pokey. Of course, using a .sap player for the PC or using the Atari800WinPlus emulator will give you the dual-Pokey experience. :)

-Bry

Archived