IGNORED

xeg with loose cartridge slot

Shannon

I was testing out my newly acquired XEG and noticed that the cartridge slot seems to be rather touchy. About half the games (5) I had worked fine, the other half (about 5) I had to jiggle just right to get the XEG to recognize it.

Is there anything I can do about this?

I also noticed the reset button is not very responsive. Is there anyway to start missile command even when the keyboard is plugged in?

If the answer involves a solder gun.. I'll scream! :x

It's been a while since I've opened up an XEGS. But are you talking about the plastic casing that the cart plugs into that's loose? I think it has screws inside that you can tighten if that's the case. If not then it may just be a case of dirty carts and/or cart slot.

Mitch

I've got one here. It just has the same plastic guard snapped into holes in the PCB. It can't really go wrong. It's probably a contact issue with the edge connector.

-Bry

Thanks for the correction, I must have got it mixed up with the 7800 cart slot plastic guard.

Mitch

I've got one here. It just has the same plastic guard snapped into holes in the PCB. It can't really go wrong. It's probably a contact issue with the edge connector.

-Bry

lol... so how do I correct it? clean the cartridges?

It just seemed awful senstive... like bumping into it causes the system to hang.

One thing I noticed on my 130XE is that it is also doing just that, but only on Grey XE carts! I can't insert the cart all the way in, I have to insert it like half way in for it to work! Almost all other brand carts work fine when insterted all the way in!

One thing I noticed on my 130XE is that it is also doing just that, but only on Grey XE carts!  I can't insert the cart all the way in, I have to insert it like half way in for it to work!  Almost all other brand carts work fine when insterted all the way in!

ok I think you hit the nail right on the head. I took a close look at the grey XE carts and with the exception of two of them. All had very short contacts (which would explain why it has to be pushed half way). Two of them have longer contacts.

Strange... Probably due to good 'ol Jack's cost cutting.

Lol.. :roll:

Cartridges are finicky if they set around in a humid enviroment they become tarnished and the only way I've found to clean them is to use an erasor making sure not to catch the edge of the contact to much (basically just clean in a downward stroke from inside to the outside).

And yes there are some of the carts that do not have long enough contacts so they will need to be pulled back a bit to correctly make contact.

Archived