IGNORED

Anyone Familiar with Atari LOGO?

Mendon

Okay... I said in another post, my oldest son is getting into the 8bit some and has expressed an interest in learning a programming language other than just basic. Not sure how serious he is and since he has no previous programming instruction at all (and neither do I other than some raw BASIC that I fooled around with many years ago) I'd like to find him a language that isn't overwhelming but yet might be something he can get into.

I posted in another topic about Pilot and it seemed that the responses were that it wasn't too great a program to start with. What about Atari LOGO? Is anyone familiar with this at all? Is is somewhat easy to get into yet will yield some benefits if pursured?

There is a Logo set on eBay now that I'm thinking of bidding on: Atari Logo

Any comments on LOGO? Or any suggestions for a starting language for him? Maybe he should stick with Basic to start?

Thanks in advance!

Mendon

When I subscribed to New Atari User magazine they had a lot of tutorials for the language Turbo Basic, a much improved version of Atari Basic. It adds many new commands and, as far as I can remember, supported much more structured programming (though I may be confusing it with my Pascal lessons at school). So I'd recommend Turbo Basic. Plus, it came with a compiler to add speed to your programs.

I first learned to program on Apple LOGO. It's a great beginers language,

but if he's been playing with basic already, logo would be a step "down"

I moved up from basic to pascal. Pascal is great for learning structured programing

(once you erase GOTO from your brain ;) )

You can write up psuedo-code programs and basicaly copy them word for

word into pascal and have a working program IIRC :)

The main reason I stayed with pascal for so long was the fact I was to lazy

to write front-ends for my Asembly projects. I'd just use some Pascal

graphics libraries and copy my ASM into pascal ;)

I'd love to get back into pascal but my pascal disc's got corrupted in storage (isn't it always the way :( )

Archived