IGNORED

PhillyClassic Website Hacked!

Ed Siegler

There's also another big reason to go with Philly, it's close to where the orginizers live! Sure they could run it elsewhere, but putting one of these shows together takes a lot of work and having it close to home makes things a little easier.

Dan

gun jumping to be sure but the NECG (new england classic gaming to you nube) is poised to step up if the east coast lacks for a real deal classic gaming convention. you can bet your rarest game we'd keep it classic and fun...we'll see what develops.

boston has some good places, and funspot is also a possible option. hmm?

for what its worth i really liked the philly classic i was lucky enough to attend but yeah i'm not up for a hall filled with kids being sold $45 dollar xbox games.

Exactly. I didn't mind a few Genesis and Dreamcast games being sold here and there at the Classic (at least they're dead systems) but I'm not keen on an X-Box/PS2/Cube shift in the convention. At that point, why would I even bother going? I can get all that shit at home or on eBay.

I think Christian summed things up nicely. i

Tf there is a change, that's not by itself a bad thing. Having modern games showcased at the event is not a bad thing - there have always been games from the entire spectrum available.

What I think the general opinion is, is that whatever else happen, the focus remain on *classic* gaming and *classic* gamers. The name change, the "hacked" website, the list of "demands" all seem to be pointing to an event aimed at a younger audience and a focus on contemporary games.

Unfortunately I think there's very little overlap in the audiences. Few of those who would go to Game Jam would go to Philly Classic, and few (but, admittedly, more) of those who went to PC would go to Game Jam.

By all means, then, save it up and come to OKGE 2004.  Assuming Crossbow's already planning ahead.   :D

Or better yet, Midwest Classic 2004.

midwest needs to be more than a single day before i can justify traveling to it ^^

gavv

Hopefully if all goes well VGS'04 will also happen.

Dan Iacovelli

I just came across this "hack" today and had posted in Events, where someone directed me to this thread....

Visited my fav WHOIS:

Registrant:

GameJam

121 Rodney Circle

Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania 19010

United States

Registered through: Go Daddy Software (http://www.godaddy.com)

Domain Name: GAME-JAM.COM

Created on: 07-May-03

Expires on: 07-May-04

Last Updated on: 07-May-03

Administrative Contact:

Newman, David david@phillyclassic.com

GameJam

Looks like the name may be changing :(

To hell with Philly Classic. This is a truly idiotic way of promoting a show. You guys think that disinformation and rumors are cute? Just decide what kind of show you want and put it on without all this garbage. You people have launched the sloppiest viral marketing campaign I have ever seen.

The effect: no one will give a rat's ass about whatever expo you do end up putting on.

Go ahead and plan your fun stuff, then announce just what you have in mind. A good gaming con is interesting news, a phony hacking story is lame.

The hacked site gimmick and all the rest is just stupid. All it will accomplish is pushing people away from whatever show you have planned.

I really think it's time for David Newman to publicly state one way or another that this is a hoax or that PC5 is going to be Game Jam.

And he is aware of the situation, I can assure you.

The longer this goes on the worse it looks for PC5.

:sad:

This is so odd...I thought Game Jam was something entirely different from PC5.

Well, I have a few thoughts, anyway:

(1) Lowering the price for entrance is all to the good. Imagine happening upon PhillyClassic with your kids and discovering it cost $15 apiece to enter something when you have no idea what it is. Would you pay that much to enter an unknown event? I wouldn't.

(2) I had multiple people from out of town staying with me last year for the purpose of attending, and all of them wanted to see some of Philly in addition. Unfortunately, getting to Philly from Valley Forge/KoP without a car isn't easy at all - and they missed out on some of the greatest draws to the area because of it. I think putting PC5 in Philly proper would be more of a draw - go to PC5, and at night, have dinner in a great restaurant (sushi anyone?), and find some entertainment.

Just my two cents...your mileage may vary.

This is so odd...I thought Game Jam was something entirely different from PC5.

Well, I have a few thoughts, anyway:

(1) Lowering the price for entrance is all to the good.  Imagine happening upon PhillyClassic with your kids and discovering it cost $15 apiece to enter something when you have no idea what it is.  Would you pay that much to enter an unknown event?  I wouldn't.

AFAIK all the promotional advertising mentioned the cost in it. Or at least, it was provided. Those who reported the story or ran the press release may not have included it. In any case, I don't see how many people could have just "run across it," and if you showed up at the door it was pretty easy to explain what it was and you could see the arcade 8)

Lowering the price IS good. Only if it draws more attendees, though. I thought the price point was pretty fair.

I hope they use lots of X's and Z's in their promotional campaign. IT's DOPE! They can name it:

X-TREME GAMERZ X-PO!!! MAZZIVE X-TREME X-CITEMENT!

And please use "shiznit" a lot too. I know the fan base that made PC what it is LOVES that kind of approach. Werd.:roll:

To hell with Philly Classic. This is a truly idiotic way of promoting a show. You guys think that disinformation and rumors are cute? Just decide what kind of show you want and put it on without all this garbage. You people have launched the sloppiest viral marketing campaign I have ever seen.  

The effect: no one will give a rat's ass about whatever expo you do end up putting on.

Can't be too bad of an idea, it's getting a lot of attention here, and that's one of the main jobs of Marketing.

Dan

Isnt it easier to get to a central philly location than VF?

I personally would rather drive into the city than have to deal with the smaller and often more congested areas around VF.

Philly is a great town to have such an event in, having it here (yes, I'm from Philly) could give the attendees something to do after each days events. Like it or not there are many a fun thing to do in the city, and its much cheaper than NY area.

I think guys are acting like this supposed to be the next E3, I dont get that impression at all reading the hacked site, and if I can save some money in the process I am for it.

-sole

I really think it's time for David Newman to publicly state one way or another that this is a hoax or that PC5 is going to be Game Jam.

Well, I got this from him (sent to everyone on the PC list, so I'm guessing that it's OK to reprint it) :

To: phillyclassic@yahoogroups.com

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:57:25 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: [phillyclassic] Website

Hi everyone:

By now, there's been such a whirlwind over this incident... We're on it,

and will update you as things develop.

-- David