IGNORED

Best graphics in Games ?

emkay

Okay, so don't think of them as Atari games... but limit ourselves to Atari games.

How would this produce a result set any different from, "Atari games with best graphics"?

If you don't see the difference, how may I explain it to you?

OK. One try:

(worst case)

In 1980 there were made games with graphics, as it was "possible" this time. The graphics did enhance the game and it was very nice to see those graphics, because it was never been seen before...

(better case)

Some Games having graphics you look on and think woa... nice graphics... but then came a newer system and compared to this the graphics are lousy.

(best case)

Some Games having graphics you look on today and think: this is timeless very well created.

Okay, so don't think of them as Atari games... but limit ourselves to Atari games.

How would this produce a result set any different from, "Atari games with best graphics"?

I really think you're trying to give this guy a hard time with his english. I took his question to mean, "If you weren't an Atari user, what games have graphics that would still look good to you." In other words, don't judge them relative to what you know is possible. It might produce a different set depending on the knowledge you have of the system. A coder might see a game doing something that shouldn't be possible, and judge that to be the best looking game even if the average Joe would pick another prettier game.

Now, that said, I think the topic of 'best games' has been beaten to death. I don't think there's anything on the 8-bit that's going to blow anyone away without a little perspective (We've all seen the PS2, etc..). Obviously Ballblazer is one of the few good 1st person games, and still has a slick look.

-Bry

I really think you're trying to give this guy a hard time with his english. I took his question to mean, "If you weren't an Atari user, what games have graphics that would still look good to you."

If that's what he means, then IMHO it's not a very good question. I *am* an Atari user. How am I supposed to look at things as if I weren't? Who am I supposed to pretend to be? A C64 gamer? An NES-generation kiddie? A PC-gaming resolution whore? My grandfather? A Pixar employee? These groups will all have different opinions of Atari game graphics. Even within their own ranks there would be dissent.

And technical tricks don't impress me for their own sake. If they make a game look or play better, then yay. If not, meh.

I really think you're trying to give this guy a hard time with his english. I took his question to mean, "If you weren't an Atari user, what games have graphics that would still look good to you."

If that's what he means, then IMHO it's not a very good question. I *am* an Atari user. How am I supposed to look at things as if I weren't? Who am I supposed to pretend to be? A C64 gamer? An NES-generation kiddie? A PC-gaming resolution whore? My grandfather? A Pixar employee? These groups will all have different opinions of Atari game graphics. Even within their own ranks there would be dissent.

And technical tricks don't impress me for their own sake. If they make a game look or play better, then yay. If not, meh.

You're telling me you can never see anything from another perspective? You could never look at something and say, "Wow, that should impress even non-Atari users!" What if you were asked to explain something to someone who knew nothing about it? Would you just talk over their heads because you can't imagine what it's like to be in their shoes? You ask people to spell out every detail for you as a way of being combative with those who you think are being stupid.

-Bry

You're telling me you can never see anything from another perspective? You could never look at something and say, "Wow, that should impress even non-Atari users!"
Criminy, did you even read what I wrote? "Non-Atari users" are not a Borg-like collective of a single mind. Different things impress different people.

You're telling me you can never see anything from another perspective? You could never look at something and say, "Wow, that should impress even non-Atari users!"
Criminy, did you even read what I wrote? "Non-Atari users" are not a Borg-like collective of a single mind. Different things impress different people.

Okay, whatever. All that was being asked for were opinions. You're allowed to generalize a bit and say, "I think this would impress people" rather than "I think this looks good, I mean, to me... not that I think anyone else would like it, but they might... one can never tell."

If someone asked me if game X would impress people, right or wrong, I could render an opinion. I guess you'd get too tied up in details to ever answer.

-Bry

I would say, "This would impress people" if it impresses me. No role-playing nonsense required.

Okay, good. Progress.

Now, let's take Sheddy's Space Harrier XE.

Do I think it looks good?

The answer is yes. For what it's running on, the graphics look very good. Color me impressed.

Would the average person today think it looks good?

The answer is no. The original Space Harrier would have a hard time impressing people today, and on the Atari it will look worse.

So, there's 2 perspectives from me. Of course, the original question essentially is, "what games would the average non-Atari using person think have the best graphics?" which, as you noticed, is only slightly different than, "What Atari games have the best graphics?" I guess if you could explain why the game would appeal to people today differently than to Atari users, but personally, I'm done with this topic. ;)

-Bry

For me:

- AR The City, AR The dungeon (req. a lot of time!)

- Capture the Flag (Sirius; just 8k, nice+fast; 2 players?)

- Amauroute (but an awful game!)

- Henry`s House (gets very hard!)

- Herbert (from german "AMC-Verlag" company)

- Space Harrier (hope it gets finished!)

- Andreas Magenheimer.

• 2 weeks later...

For me:

DRACONUS - very atmospherics

BLACK LAMP - atari 8-bit version is the best from all other platforms!!

HENRY'S HOUSE - cool gfx, and funny ideas!

ZYBEX - very addictive esp. for 2 players....

DEIMOS - the best MONTEZUMA'S REVENGE clone (cool gfx+msx)

VICKY - nearly the same as Draconus (its atmosphere rules)

HEAD OVER HEELS - Atari's version is as good as other conversions, very big game with thousand riddles!