IGNORED

Design flaws of the XEGS that irritated me

DracIsBack

I posted this in the Atari 7800 group as part of another thread, but thought I'd get better discussion here.

Is anyone else bugged by certain design problems with the Atari XE Game System?

I thought a detachable keybord was a cool idea and had visions of sitting it in my lap back in the 1980s. The problem is that the cord is so damn short it's practically useless in this respect!

My other gripes: the joystick connectors are on such a strange angle that unplugging and pluggin in peripherals is a right pain in the butt. Especially when you have to unplug the lightgun to plug in a joystick - or visa versa. It's not light you can keep the stick in the left port and the gun in the right - the gun games require that the gun be in the left part.

Finally, I'm not really fussy about how far apart the RCA jacks are on the back of the unit.

I totally dig the XEGS. Just wish they had done a better job on a couple of things!

Your thoughts?

I posted this in the Atari 7800 group as part of another thread, but thought I'd get better discussion here.

Is anyone else bugged by certain design problems with the Atari XE Game System?  

I thought a detachable keybord was a cool idea and had visions of sitting it in my lap back in the 1980s. The problem is that the cord is so damn short it's practically useless in this respect!  

I can think of a couple of reasons for this:

1. Keyboard was originally an option. What was important was that a keyboard could be 'docked' with the unit, not that the keyboard have any reach.

2. Keyboard cable had a lot of wires, and was too heavy to be coiled. There was no place for a long cord to go when the keyboard was docked.

Buy a 15pin-15pin extension. I've seen them for PC joysticks.

My other gripes: the joystick connectors are on such a strange angle that unplugging and pluggin in peripherals is a right pain in the butt. Especially when you have to unplug the lightgun to plug in a joystick - or visa versa. It's not light you can keep the stick in the left port and the gun in the right - the gun games require that the gun be in the left part.

I kinda liked the angled ports, but I see your point. At least they didn't pull and ST trick and put them on the bottom.

Finally, I'm not really fussy about how far apart the RCA jacks are on the back of the unit.  

Nah, but S-Video would have been a nice touch. And that XE keyboard has got to go!

-Bry

I don't know if this was ever offered when the XEGS was released but an extension cable is available from one of the big Atari dealers. Forget which one.

Allan

Makes note to self.... "find keyboard extender"...

I wish there was a way to reset the machine from the keyboard.

I think the implementation of missile command was terrible, they could have at least "fixed" it.

They should have made it so you have to hold down the option key to "enable" basic. It was after all advertised as a game machine.

Those damned XE carts with PCB's that are too short.