IGNORED

Need help: DOS versions and moving files between them

Hey all, I haven't played around with my 8-bit gear in a while, so maybe I'm just forgetting something really simple, but I can NOT get a file from a DOS 2.5 disk to a DOS XE disk to save my life.

I purchased a new XEP80 interface from B&C and the driver disk is DOS 2.5. When I boot into DOS XE, it won't read the driver disk. So I go to the system menu and tell it to allow DOS 2.x access, which it seems to do. But then when I try to get a directory listing on the driver disk (or any DOS 2.x disk, for that matter) I get an error.

I've tried reading DOS 2.x disks in both my XF-551 and my US Doubled 1050 drive.

What am I missing? Any help or advice appreciated.

That's nice and all, but unless your using DOS for something besides maintenance, what is the big deal?

If your that concerned buy on of those DOS on a cart thingies.

I myself mostly used DOS for disk maintenance and moving files around, but other than that it did not get much use.

I guess I don't understand why memory resident is that important. Do you live in DOS when using the computer?

Spartados is a much better DOS and also lets you create batch files, and I think even MyDOS can run batch files. Both of those are available on a "cart".

A ROM based DOS isn't a good solution for me, as I like to switch out between my rev. C BASIC and assembly editor carts. I prefer it disk based, but like to keep both my drives free for other tasks. No, I don't "live in DOS" but I do make frequent use of it. Frequent enough that I prefer to have it load up immediately rather than hit a disk for it.

As I said, I've never had any trouble with DOS XE until this incident. It's been stable and fast for me. I don't know what compatibility issues others have seen, but I don't have an extensive library of software on disk in DOS 2.x format, which is maybe why I haven't seen any compatibility issues until now. I suspect I'd get lit up by somebody no matter which DOS I decided to run. :roll:

Thanks for your suggestion, though. I'll give Sparta a try. Is there any documentation on-line anywhere that you know of for it?

but I don't have an extensive library of software on disk in DOS 2.x format

Umm... :ponder:

Dos 2 (or one of it's successors) is the most common Atari disk operating systems out there. Surely you jest??

BTW a "rom based" DOS would load up almost instantly. If you have a XE or XL computer, there was a routine to put DOS into underlying ram. It's in Antic someplace IIRC

I used it when it first came out, but then I ran into it's limitations.

Why copy your dos 2.0 files over if all you do is use it for basic programming? When you want to program pu in your DOS XE disk, and when you want to use your other disks but dos 2.0 or 2.5.

That is actually what I do. The problem arose when I got the XEP 80 driver disk. I'd like to use the XEP 80 under DOS XE, but can not get DOS XE to read the XEP 80 (DOS 2.5) driver disk.

That is the problem here. Don't get me wrong, I love defending my choice of DOS environments and explaining to everybody why I'm using the DOS that I am, but what I'd really like is some help with the problem I asked about.

Seeing as nobody but me uses DOS XE, though, it looks like I'm fighting an uphill battle.

That is actually what I do. The problem arose when I got the XEP 80 driver disk. I'd like to use the XEP 80 under DOS XE, but can not get DOS XE to read the XEP 80 (DOS 2.5) driver disk.

That is the problem here. Don't get me wrong, I love defending my choice of DOS environments and explaining to everybody why I'm using the DOS that I am, but what I'd really like is some help with the problem I asked about.

Seeing as nobody but me uses DOS XE, though, it looks like I'm fighting an uphill battle.

Sorry to be running you around in circles. I may be wrong but I think that XE cannot handle the 2.5 enhanced density format (I think 2.5 came out AFTER XE did).

Format a blank disk in 2.0 format, (under DOS 2.5) and copy the file over. Then try reading it from DOS XE.

It's been years since I messed with XE but I think that is the problem I ran into.

Really? I always assumed XE was the last DOS Atari released. I'll give that 2.0 formatting trick a try. Thanks for your help!

It was the last one release, but I vaguely remember it having difficulty with 2.5 formatted disks. But it has been years so I may be wrong.