IGNORED

sega genesis virtual reality helmet/screen

Well, I can't get eBay to show me the pages for some reason, but the SNES/Genesis versions are apparently going for $27 buy it now..

I don't know if it's that different from the SMS/NES version you had the pictures of, but...

(Damn eBay.. :-)

Just do an eBay search for Stuntmaster.

(Maybe you can get to actually look at one of the results.. cgi.ebay.com is timing out for me...)

desiv

I thought Sega designed their own helmet, not just the VictorMaxx one? I remember reading about Sega's VR unit years ago. Sega concluded that the Genesis was too low-rez for VR. The real reason it was cancelled was because it could cause permanent eye damage.

I do remember seeing the VictorMaxx helmets on clearance in the mid '90s. They were the PC versions, because they came with PC-only games. I've never seen the SNES or Genesis versions.

I have the VictorMaxx Stuntmaster and it's nice to have from a collecting point of view but fairly disappointing performance wise. It may have been "cutting edge" at the time but I doubt it. There is a single low-res LCD display and lenses to focus both eyes onto it but because you can see the inside of the unit around the screen and the poor (almost nonexistent) optics it looks more like you have a gameboy straped to your head then a immersive experience. The display literally looks like it's sitting 3 inches in front of your eyes. The motion control is performed by cliping a rod onto your shirt at the shoulder. This rod then goes through a little hoop on the side of the unit and rotates it when you move your head to give left and right motion. If it's hooked up correctly it's actually a neat concept but what happens is that your shirt moves around and the responses become erratic. There are hacks on the net to use these w/ a PC w/ full mouse support for games like quake but the resolution is so poor (only 240 x 86 I believe) I can't imagine it working too well. Doom might be ok but you would still lose a lot of detail. If you haven't tried any other VR products it can be neat but not something you would use on a regular basis. Games that work best with it are first and thrid person racing games similar to Hang On or Rad Racer. It supports both the Genesis and the SNES.

Neat!

Yeah I figured it would be a good collectors item (not much practical use). But I think I'll save my money for now. When I started collecting I initially decided to work on the handhelds.

Well thanks to rick weiss and a few atari 2600 boxed games I got a little sidetracked. :D Anyways it's just kinda neat to see 2600 boxed games. I guess I was not really expecting to find any.

But I've been having so much fun with all the Lynx games I got recentally, and an XEG with a SIO2PC cable I figured for atari portable goodness I'd be best to curb what spending money I have left on a gamepark handheld.