IGNORED

3DO vs. CD-i

Tempest

Ok now here we have two systems I know almost nothing about. All I know is that they're both 32-bit (kinda) systems that were released in the early 90's. However I do have a few questions about the systems:

1. Which has the better graphics. I can honestly say I've only seen a few 3DO game screen shots and they kind of reminded me of early PC CD rom games. I've never seen any CD-i screen shots.

2. Which had the better games? From what I can tell the 3DO had a much better "game" library.

3. Which is more collectable? I've seen more 3DO collectors than CD-i.

Tempest

Hi!

I'm not an expert on either system, but I've been able to test some back in the day, so here are my 2 Euro cents ;):

1. Graphics-wise, the 3DO has 3d textured games, but they usually run very slow by any standard. The CD-I's games were mostly 2d or FMV IIRC, and the FMV ones usually required the MPEG module.

2. The 3DO's 3d games I've seen didn't impress me even back in the day. Anyway I remember it had a decent 2d library including a good version of Super Street Fighter 2. Most notably, if you like Laserdisc games, the 3DO has several (Dragon's Lair, Space Ace and Brain Dead 13 for sure). Anyway the FMV graphics are not DVD quality for sure :)

I think the CD-I has some lasergames ports as well.

You can also use the CD-I with mpeg module as a VCD player IIRC.

3. Collectible.. I wouldn't know, just go on and collect for the one you like the most ;)

BTW I've heard pretty bad stuff about 3DO's pads, but I don't know about CD-I's.

That's all I know.. 8)

Regards!

Rasty.-

Hi !

The 3DO came out in early 93. The CDi came out in 90.

The CDi is also based on the 68k like the Jag and even the CDi dev software was written by the same people as the Jag dev software (brainstorm).

However many people might mistake the 3DO and CDi. Big mistake. The CDi can't be compared to CDi.

CDi was an early system that had almost no good games at all and just became known because of the video cds.

The 3DO however was a really revolutionary system. It has a fast ARM60 CPU, two GPUs, 3D hardware, two independent bus systems to both GPUs and hardware compression. 3 MB RAM. The processors of the whole system are always running in parrallel to gain optimal performance.

The 3DO had over 300-400 games released for it and has many hit games. Including some of the best ports (like samurai showdown, super street fighter) and also many great titles were born on the 3DO (gex, need for speed, return fire, road rash, hell, killing time, etc)

Overall the 3DO had the potential to be a great game system, however it was much too expensive.

Regards, Lars.

To be fair, the CD-i was never really intended as a game system.

This is very evident in the controller. It's a remote control with a trackball mounted on it. The CD-i was intended more for things like digital encyclopedias and stuff, as well as VCD playback.

The 3DO had over 300-400 games released for it and has many hit games. Including some of the best ports (like samurai showdown, super street fighter) and also many great titles were born on the 3DO (gex, need for speed, return fire, road rash, hell, killing time, etc)

By the way, Road Rash did not start on the 3DO. There are versions available on the Genesis that are pre-1993, when 3DO was released. Just a small correction. I also believe that Need For Speed didn't start on the 3DO either.

Overall the 3DO had the potential to be a great game system, however it was much too expensive.

I'll never understand the appeal it had because I know VERY little about the system. I might do some research into it. However, because it was so expensive, I doubt that there is anything on it that would interest me. I'm also sure that it's still expensive nowadays...to collect. Am I wrong on this?

Hi !

i think there was only 183 US released games as i have 178 right now and only need 5 to complete the collection

Japan made a ton of games for the 3DO but i bet half of them are those damn majong games, i only have a few of the adult japan titles and one golf game

because it was so expensive, I doubt that there is anything on it that would interest me. I'm also sure that it's still expensive nowadays...to collect. Am I wrong on this?

the 3DO isnt to expensive now, you could get one for around $45 with some games shipping is usually high cause they weight a ton :) (except for the FZ-10 top loader)

games are pretty cheap even new sealed ones, there are some rare dogs on the system but they arent worth buying unless you are trying to collect all the games

Japan made a ton of games for the 3DO but i bet half of them are those damn majong games, i only have a few of the adult japan titles and one golf game

Heh.

The worst part is that's probably a fairly accurate guess.

How do the adult games play? LOL.

i bet you would like to know ;)

Well you have a few that are Rock Paper Scissors type games where you have to beat the computer to five wins and with each win the girl removes a piece of clothing :D

there is the Virtual Cameraman 1 to 5 but i dont really know how to play these it seems so simple but since i cant read japanese i bet i am missing a simple solution

i think there are even some majong ones

I've never actually used a CD-i, and have only used a 3DO on a few occaisions... but at the time when both were out, I actually paid quite a lot of attention to the video game scene (mostly because I had a Jaguar).

As most people have said, from a gaming standpoint, the 3DO is definitely superior. Phillips was more concerned with making videos and junk like Encarta for the CD-i... what few games it has were fairly unimpressive and often plain awful. There were a few Zelda games though (both of which are quite bad from what I've seen), and there's a beta of a game called "Super Mario's Wacky Worlds" out there that is a Mario platform game for the system... The 3DO wasn't exactly gaming heaven either... but it has quite a few good games. I'd still love to get one just to play Samurai Showdown.

From a collecting standpoint though, I think the CD-i might actually be more interesting than the 3DO. When you look at things, the 3DO is basically just another semi-failed gaming system without many unique factors (I actually quite liked the controller daisy-chain idea though). However, the CD-i will likely be quite a different experience than the rest of the game systems you've played. Whether this will make it worthwhile to collect for you, I have no idea... but it's worth considering.

--Zero

I saw both a CDi and a 3DO at a flea market last week, but I didn't have enough cash for them. I've been thinking about getting into them both.

Isn't it amazing that even borderline game systems like CDi still have a 'scene' that thrives online? I clicked the links posted in this thread, and i'm truly amazed. I've never really heard anything about the CDi's games before, with the exception of Burn:Cycle.

• Thanks 1

the cd-i has nice fmv and video overall - lack of good software titles with the xception of a few (even tho i know it was mainly meant to be educational and leanring and all that bullshit) they shouldve made more and better games - not to mention longer lasting controllers

i like the cd-i but the 3do is definitly better - more games, great games, longer lasting controllers fun fun fun ;)

CD-i's 7th guest is the best version ive ever seen, and their versions of space ace, and dragons lairs and brandead 13, are the best youll ever see on a home console :)

Ok, I must say that I do not own a CDi, unfortunately. I'd LOVE to have one, though, but I am a HUGE 3DO fan (and I'll be bringing mine to OKGE, if anyone cares to stop by my table and give Dragon's Lair a whirl!), and I would never, ever part with mine. True, the controllers blow monkeys, but the rest of the system is grade-A. I've had an absolute blast playing games like AD&D Slayer and AD&D Deathkeep, Dragon Lore, Hell (my FAVE game on the whole system, but unfortunately, my cd broke several years back), and the single best version of Road Rash in existance. And yeah, RR started on the Genesis, but you couldn't play to Soundgarden's Rusty Cage playing in the back ground on the Genesis versions baby! Anyhoo, I see a lot of 3DO games here and there, unfortunately most of them are WAY overpriced (a place around here has several for 20 frickin' bucks each! That's crazy man!), and I rarely see CDi games, so I'd imagine it's the better "collector's" system.

By the way, Road Rash did not start on the 3DO. There are versions available on the Genesis that are pre-1993, when 3DO was released. Just a small correction. I also believe that Need For Speed didn't start on the 3DO either.

I'll never understand the appeal it had because I know VERY little about the system. I might do some research into it. However, because it was so expensive, I doubt that there is anything on it that would interest me. I'm also sure that it's still expensive nowadays...to collect. Am I wrong on this?

your right about Road rash, it started on the Genesis, but the Need for Speed DEFINATELY started out on the 3DO (even the PC version came out just a bit later) and IMHO was the definitive NFS game blowing away the Saturn and PSX version/sequels that came later. Not till this current generation, again IMHO, has there been a better NFS. it does move a bit slower than the sequels, but was every bit as fast on the 3DO as the inferior (gfx&handling) Saturn&PSX versions of the original, and the sequels just lost something in the gameplay. Sorry to say, but you are also wrong about the price of collecting for the 3DO today, while the system can go for as much as $75, but usually $50 or less, the games can be obtained for pretty darn cheap, a lot cheaper than many Jag or Saturn games...But know you know. the 3DO is a great system in my opinion, for it's day and there are a lot of very cool games on it, but there are also a lot of very bad games on it, but it has a bunch to choose, so just ask those of us that have it wich games to get&avoid.

The CD-i while I never owned one, seems not a good choice because of it's tiny library of poor games and if you want VCD, the 3DO has a module just like the CD-i, if hard to find, but the Saturn, PSX and DC also have third-party VCD players available for them, not to mention that at least half the DVD players out ther can play VCD's (just look for compatibility on the box), so there is really no reason to want a CD-i at all except for collecting rare electronic devices, and maybe it's one hit; Burn Cycle, which i believe can also be found on the PC anyway. There's just no real reason to have one, if your not a collector, unless you see it and some software in a GoodWill for dirt cheap, then you might pick it up just for a very few tiny kicks. (Which I did see one for $5 at a GW, but still decided against it, since there was no software with it)