IGNORED

Server Move August 26th

Albert

AtariAge is moving to a new, faster server and this move will take place late Tuesday, August 26th. We will make the DNS change in the evening, and it generally takes 24-48 hours to propogate throughout the net. Experience shows that most people will see the new server well before 24 hours.

Sometime early Wednesday morning (probably around 2am CST), we will take the forums and store offline. The databases will then be transfered to the new server and the forums and store will go online there. We will then redirect the forums over to the new site, which will allow them to be used even if atariage.com is still resolving to the old server. The forums should not be offline more than a few hours. The store will likely be offline for a bit longer, since getting the forums back online is the first priority.

The move should be mostly transparent, and we should be able to quickly fix anything that crops up. This is the third time now we've moved AtariAge to a faster server. :)

..Al

I've got a few things( attachments ) I want to copy, but should have it taken care before time is up.

Transfer away!  8)

The forums will not be affected by the move, except that they will be running on a new (faster) server. It will be a few weeks before we switch to the new forum software, and some attachments will be in jeopardy then. I will have more details regarding that when the time comes. :)

..Al

I noticed it still the same old sever,  nothing see new sever come in yet?

I did deleted my computer's cookies already.  Then I visit your website's message board there is nothing new sever come in yet.

You posted this message on the new server, so I presume it is working fine for you. :)

..Al

The forum link from the front page (left sidebar) appears to be broken.

Does it work now? It had an absolute reference to "http://www.atariage.com", and if you are not yet resolving to the new server this could cause a problem. If it's not working, what is the link and what do you see when you click it?

Thanks,

..Al

Looks good dude. And by that it means it looks like nothing's happened and that's the best kind of change :D

Let me try and to an edit now though........

<edit> TEST TEST TEST! <edit>

<edit #2> ok this is my 2nd edit.. and while the initial post submission was pretty fast (as usual), there was still a lag in the first edit submission. However, I'm on a pretty fast connection so I've never had a problem with the edits in the first place. I'd say it was about a 10 second submission time for me when doing an edit. I guess time will tell to see if the dial-up users notice any difference. The bottom line though is it looks good enough for me but I've never had any problems anyway :P

<edit #3> I timed it.. 14 seconds for the last edit submmision

I keep automatically logging out. Very annoying.

Go into your browser's settings and remove any cookies that start with "atariage.com" or "www.atariage.com". If this doesn't solve the problem, then I assume that AtariAge.com is not resolving to the new server and you still see the IP address in the URL? If so, the problem may not go away until the site resolves for you.

..Al

ok this is my 2nd edit.. and while the initial post submission was pretty fast (as usual), there was still a lag in the first edit submission. However, I'm on a pretty fast connection so I've never had a problem with the edits in the first place. I'd say it was about a 10 second submission time for me when doing an edit. I guess time will tell to see if the dial-up users notice any difference. The bottom line though is it looks good enough for me but I've never had any problems anyway :P

Editing really isn't going to be much faster than it was before. Well, okay, given that it was taking several minutes to edit a post, a time of between 10 and 15 seconds is a pretty good improvement. Once we move the forums to new software, the forums will be even faster and there will be no delays when editing a message.

..Al

I was just over in off-topic, read a few messages, and I notice that it didn't mark the threads as 'read'. Thinking I may have had the pages in cache on Mozilla, I hit the reload button on my browser. They still don't indicate that they were read.

I have noticed that when I click on an email that I received regarding a post to a topic, it no longers takes me directly to the topic. It takes to the forum section and then I have to look for the actual forum as well as message.

Anyone else experience this?

Many of these problems are likely because the site is not yet resolving to the new server for some people. We have a redirect from the old site which will cause you to go to the new server if this is the case (which is probably what you are seeing with the email link), but until the site fully resolves there is going to be some weirdness. You can check yourself by typing at a command prompt:

ping atariage.com

If you see 216.127.70.89 then atariage.com is still resolving to the old server. If you see 66.98.164.184 then you should not be having any problems, as long as you clear out all your cookies in your browser first.

..Al

It will be a few weeks before we switch to the new forum software, and some attachments will be in jeopardy then.  I will have more details regarding that when the time comes.  :)

..Al

Yeah, you already set up new sever, but for new forum software will be very interesting to see how it works to transfer.....

I will look forward to see new forums software for Atariage!

Jason :)

Yeah, you already set up new sever, but for new forum software will be very interesting to see how it works to transfer.....

I will look forward to see new forums software for Atariage!

Now that the server move is more or less complete (whatever kinks remain should be trivial to take care of compared to the actual task of moving the acutal site), we can concentrate on getting the new forum software up and running. That will be a much more noticeable change. :)

..Al

Um. Is this part of the Move?

Whenever I click an email link to a topic reply, it redirects to

http://66.98.164.184/forums/index.php

This is getting annoying and it also makes me log in every time. (The cookies won't stick as they try to load a cookie for 66.98.164.184 instead of www.atariage.com which doesn't exist.) Please tell me this is part of the Server move and will be leaving shortly! :sad:

Um. Is this part of the Move?

Whenever I click an email link to a topic reply, it redirects to

http://66.98.164.184/forums/index.php

This is getting annoying and it also makes me log in every time. (The cookies won't stick as they try to load a cookie for 66.98.164.184 instead of www.atariage.com which doesn't exist.) Please tell me this is part of the Server move and will be leaving shortly! :sad:

This is just temporary, in another 24-48 hours things should stabilize and you should be hitting the atariage.com domain and not the above IP address. If you are still having problems then, please let me know and I'll work with you to solve them.

..Al

Notes about the new server :

- I haven't noticed an extra speed enhancement about the forum speed. (Indeed, It was already very fast for me ;) )

- Lag for the edit fonction seems to be shorter than before but this fonction is not as faster as I expected from the new server. Sorry to have said that :(, anyway this is not very important !