IGNORED

The Worth of a Prototype

Mindfield

Matt could probably answer this best, but I thought I'd pose this to everyone. There is the possibility that I might be able to get, in amongst a VCS lot containing mostly crap, a prototype of M-Network's AD&D: Treasures of Tarmin. Now I can always use the extra carts as trade bait, for the stuff I already have, but this proto really caught my eye. More interesting is that while the author appears to be at least partially aware of the rarity of some of his titles, he doesn't know this is a prototype and was never released. What would the proto itself be worth? I can factor that into my offer for the bundle.

AD&D Treasure of Tarmin? Wow! Now that would be worth some money for several reasons:

1. The rom isn't available

2. It can't be released due to copyrights

3. Mattel protos are very rare to begin with

4. To the best of my knowledge only Intellivision Productions owns a prototype of this title

If you were to sell something like that on ebay it would probably go for around $800 to $1000 or so I think. Mainly because of the rarity and playability of the game (I hear it's pretty good).

I wonder how the person you're buying it from got a hold of it?

Tempest

That is indeed the auction. I've E-Mailed the guy asking for a photo of the cart to verify its authenticity, so we'll see where that leads. Though it's hard to see in those auction pics, there are a couple of carts there that are suspicious -- one with no label, one with a plain white label that looks suspiciously like one of those handwritten proto labels. Neither of them are in those typical M-Network shells, though...

True, it would have been cool to own a prototype -- that's why it caught my eye. I don't have any, and this one being as extremely rare as it is, and with the gameplay being as apparently good as it is, I definitely wanted it. *sigh* Oh well... it was a vicious tease, but what the heck. My Inty collection is pretty sparse anyway.

What copyright problems prevent this game from being released? The game content has nothing particular to do with D&D (as opposed to any other fantasy world). Why can't the game be retitled and released?

Why can't LocoMotion be simply retitled (Happy Trails Jr)? What if that grey blob isn't Rocky the Flying squirrel but Jerry the Levitating Vole?

These games could be released if the Intellivision people wanted to.

It's probable that Synth Corp. (the two-guys-in-a-garage Mattel farmed the development of Treasure of Tarmin out to) -- or whomever currently owns the copyright (BSR/Intellivision Productions?) -- won't allow it to be released to the general public. That's usually the way it goes with copyright issues. Pity though, looks like it'd be a great game for the VCS, and certainly one that would show off many of its capabilities.

Incidentally, I got responses from the guy about the alleged prototype -- from his description (aided by my description of the difference between Mattel and M-Network carts) they're Intellivision carts, not VCS carts, so it's pretty well confirmed: No prototype.

If anyone outside of Intellivision productions ever gets their hands on one of those prototypes, the ROMs will be flying all over the internet.

I think that they are just sitting on these and waiting for the demand to go up. Or some people get off on having a game that no one else can play.

What good do these games do anyone when they are out of circulation?