IGNORED

The Last Starfighter

Tempest

Just to let everyone know, I now own a prototype of The Last Starfighter for the Atari 400/800/XE. It seems to be complete with shields!

I've heard that there's a pirated disk version floating around out there somewhere, so I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in my version if I decided to get it dumped. I'll make the rom available on my page when it's dumped.

Finally, a home version of TLSF with real joysticks and shields! This is a dream come true for a LSF fan like me. Now if only someone could find the Arcade game

Tempest

• Like 4

Tempest,

I've played a disk-based version of The Last Starfighter, but that was *eons* ago back when the Atari 8-bits were still in production. It was a pretty cool game, although I don't remember the details. But I'm pretty sure I was able to use the joystick with it.

If you want more info on the Arcade game, take a look here:

The Last Starfighter Move and Videogame FAQ

and here:

KLOV - The Last Starfighter

Enjoy,

..Al

I assume this is the same as that disk based version (not having seen it I can't be sure). Was that disk legit or was it a pirated copy? I don't think Atari ever released TLSF but I'm not 100% sure. From what I've heard it was a pirated version that got leaked out of Atari's labs over the BBS's (remember those days?).

Tempest

I assume this is the same as that disk based version (not having seen it I can't be sure). Was that disk legit or was it a pirated copy? I don't think Atari ever released TLSF but I'm not 100% sure. From what I've heard it was a pirated version that got leaked out of Atari's labs over the BBS's (remember those days?).

I know I never purchased a copy of The Last Starfighter, so it must have been a pirated copy. I don't think it ever got released commercially. However, Atari did modify it a bit and released it as Star Raiders II. Not sure why this was done, perhaps to capitalize on the popularity of Star Raiders? To prevent having to pay licensing costs for the movie?

..Al

As I recall, Atari was either unable to secure the rights to use the Last Starfighter license, or could not afford/did not want to pay the licensing fees, so in the end had taken the game as it existed in the state they'd already worked on, modified it a bit, and released it as Star Raiders II, although it bears only a passing resemblance to its adopted predecessor. Either way it was a great game; as much as I played the original Star Raiders (I think I even still have one of the keypads in storage!) I think I actually got into Star Raiders II even more.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say, that even though I never got around to getting a modem (I was young and could only bug mom and dad for so many peripherals), my friend had one and his cousin had one. The BBS's were it.

I have TLSF on disk and have played it many a time. Really cool game. I had no idea it was supposed to be cart only. But then again, I never really thought about it much. Lord knows where half the games we got came from. Some of them still had working titles, such as Behind Jaggi Lines and Ballblaster. Some were hacked so you couldn't die. To this day, I wonder if my version of Quasimodo was screwed up or merely incomplete. I can't explain what happens when it gets to the level after the one with the bells (The Castle Wall, I think it was called). All I can say is, the game is over and you die with the quickness, and you can't do anything to prevent it. It's kind of like the little guy gets stuck running forward and that level is not playable.

I've gotten off topic. Sorry!

Off topic but still cool.

Someone should really try and catalog all the Atari 400/800 prototypes out there. Since it had a modem and BBS's were known for software piracy (don't you miss those days) alot of pre-production games probably got out of Atari's labs and onto the BBS's. There could be some interesting game floating around out there that people don't know are prototypes.

Tempest

• 16 years later...

http://www.atariprotos.com/

and you became that someone! :) Thank you for all the hard work. It's been a heck of a journey!

Wow, I didnt know I even wrote that. Thanks for digging that gem up. :)

BTW I released all the roms for the games I owned a while back. I dont have the thread handy, but its there.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Tempest,

I've played a disk-based version of The Last Starfighter, but that was *eons* ago back when the Atari 8-bits were still in production. It was a pretty cool game, although I don't remember the details. But I'm pretty sure I was able to use the joystick with it.

If you want more info on the Arcade game, take a look here:

The Last Starfighter Move and Videogame FAQ

and here:

KLOV - The Last Starfighter

Enjoy,

..Al

The KLOV link has a link to the PC version of the simulated arcade cabinet used in the movie which used Cray generated images. I had downloaded that many years ago (Win XP and Win 7 compatible) and posted a thread on it along with a couple other games, even Robert Prestons voice is in the Arcade "Rom". The 25th Anniversary DVD has a making of which shows a reproduction working cabinet.

Arcade Cabs: Prototype and Urban Legends Released

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=296545#p296545

Edited by CRTGAMER
  • Like 1

Thank you Tempest, very much appreciated...

Paul...

Edit: Out of curiosity, there's a few 8bit ones with either nothing in the folder ie Mario Bros or just pictures ie Pink Panther..

Were these one's you saw but could not get hold of?

Edited by Mclaneinc

What's the deal with the Pink Panther? I can see why it was probably scrapped; it doesn't seem that interesting of a game. But why would't the owner be interested in sharing it with the A8 community? Is the owner a private collector/hoarder or the actual programmer of the game?

Yes, I remember the thread, Tempest tried his best to get the guy to allow a dump but he simply would not do it..

Such a shame as a dump does not devalue his proto one bit, if anything it raises awareness of that its about and other collectors may want to pay heavily to get it...

Its one thing I've banged on over the years about collecting and keeping it to yourself, if you collect then you are always going to want the real thing, a dump of that has dual uses, it keeps a digital image that can't be ravaged by bit rot which also means that if the owners real item dies he or she still can enjoy it. And as said it makes people aware there's a proto out there.

Keeping it in a sealed box in the attic just puzzles me....

I've seen treasures disappear after people have held on to things, not backed up or preserved any of it.. and then it's lost forever. No gain to be had, no joy just lost.... or in the dump, or taken and destroyed by a person not knowing what it is during a clean out. Things go bad in a box also

• Like 1