IGNORED

Gradius V

ROBOTRON

No.  

I hate Gradius, as I believe no game should be physically impossible to survive if you die in the wrong place.

Sounds like someone couldn't beat Gradius III :P

Tempest

Well, I died in that stage with the little tunnels in it, and found out when I resurrected that the screen scrolled faster than my ship moved. Then I got pissed.

So I repeat: No game should be physically impossible to beat if you die in the wrong place.

I'll be honest. I can't beat R-Type either. Or Mars Matrix. Or Asteroids(:)).

But I don't hate them because they're hard, but fair. You can recover from an accident.

Gradius views a mistake as a reason to execute you. 1st life or last, it doesn't matter. You die, you're dead.

FUCK YEAH! I am all over this puppy. :D

Incidentally I just played Gradius 2 (Famicom/NES) last night and beat it with the help of save states of course.. that game is friggin HARD. I understand what people mean by thinking that Gradius is too difficult.. because it well, it kind of is! :P My main gripe about some of the Gradius' is there are stages where it's just non-stop assault of the same object ("bubbles" or "rocks" anyone? ;))which seems to go on forever and ever and ever.... you know what I'm saying? So in that sense it's odd that my favorite title happens to be NES Life Force. It had the same feel etc., but there was less repetition and more variety to the stages. Plus I dug the upward scrolling stages :D

That being said, I think I'll play me some Gradius Gaiden on the PSX now that my appetite is whetted :P

FUCK YEAH! I am all over this puppy. :D

Incidentally I just played Gradius 2 (Famicom/NES) last night and beat it with the help of save states of course.. that game is friggin HARD. I understand what people mean by thinking that Gradius is too difficult.. because it well, it kind of is! :P My main gripe about some of the Gradius' is there are stages where it's just non-stop assault of the same object ("bubbles" or "rocks" anyone? ;))which seems to go on forever and ever and ever.... you know what I'm saying? So in that sense it's odd that my favorite title happens to be NES Life Force. It had the same feel etc., but there was less repetition and more variety to the stages. Plus I dug the upward scrolling stages :D

That being said, I think I'll play me some Gradius Gaiden on the PSX now that my appetite is whetted :P

LifeForce reminded me...

I like Salamander. It has a diffrent power-up system that lets you get back up to fighting strength a lot faster.

I consider it Gradius done right.

I must admit, I'm not keen on the "die once and it's Game Over" aspect.

However, whether it's for nostalgic reasons or whatever, I love the Gradius games, and I'll definitely be getting Gradius V. I just got Gradius III + IV on the PS2 recently, and enjoy them a lot, although Gradius IV is more fun, as III is just too damn hard!!

I still prefer the name Nemesis to Gradius as well! :D

somebody actually liked the NES Max?

The thumbpad never worked that well for me, i always just pressed on the outer black layer for movement.  The Turbo buttons were nice, but in awkward positions if you needed to use one turbo and one regular button.

now the NES Advantage...   :love:

I never used the rotary thingie myseld, but I loved having the turbo buttons right there.

somebody actually liked the NES Max?

The thumbpad never worked that well for me, i always just pressed on the outer black layer for movement.  The Turbo buttons were nice, but in awkward positions if you needed to use one turbo and one regular button.

now the NES Advantage...   :love:

I never used the rotary thingie myseld, but I loved having the turbo buttons right there.

Me too, Inky :)