IGNORED

Need some helperino on rarity

Bratwurst

It's also outdated' date=' try this one. ;)

http://www.geocities.com/ejgnandt/newMyCarts.txt

It works like the AA rarity scale.

I note that it's missing a few carts, though, like "Matterhorn" by Tigervision, and the Tech-sketch carts... :ponder:

Maybe we should beat that old man up! :twisted:

I think he's said Matterhorn is still an unknown, unproven if you will. I guess with only the 2 copies in existance, it's a possibility it was a preview/loaner cart with a fancy label? :ponder: Not sure myself, but I remember reading that the one copy was opened and had on of those black blobs in it. Is it even possibly to do that at home? You would think if they were loaner carts they'd be on eproms?

It's also outdated' date=' try this one. ;)

http://www.geocities.com/ejgnandt/newMyCarts.txt

It works like the AA rarity scale.

I note that it's missing a few carts, though, like "Matterhorn" by Tigervision, and the Tech-sketch carts... :ponder:

Maybe we should beat that old man up! :twisted:

I think he's said Matterhorn is still an unknown, unproven if you will. I guess with only the 2 copies in existance, it's a possibility it was a preview/loaner cart with a fancy label? :ponder: Not sure myself, but I remember reading that the one copy was opened and had on of those black blobs in it. Is it even possibly to do that at home? You would think if they were loaner carts they'd be on eproms?

I should ask Rob Catron more about the cart that he had several years ago. I got the impression that it was a commercial release cart, but that could just be wishful thinking on my part. :)

Oh, and "Seafox" really isn't an "8", is it? If so, I'll gladly trade one of my copies for "Crystal Castles". ;)

::Plays a round CC::

:::Finds an atr/bin of Seafox, and laughs:::

I think Callipygous has done a real fine job with the rarities on most, but it could still use a little tweaking. I'd asked about a few of those from time to time. His anwser is typically it's a work in progress. :)

Just as a second point of reference, DP lists them like this:

Seafox as an R5/$22

Crystal Castles is R7/$40

That's probably about right pricewise. I'm still not sure about the rarity of Seafox, I've only seen it a couple times that I noticed this year. Also CC sells for more because it is such a good game, it's more popular if you will and demands more just like a BBSB would demand more than some rare TG Software or IDSI cart would.

Also I don't think Rob really knows that much about it. I've asked him before too. I was actually trying to buy it outside of ebay when he thru it up, before all the wolves came along. :P Sadly I had high bids in, and someone came behind me and bumped it up, I was then outbid around $75, and he wanted to let it ride. I was tring to buy all 3 of his TigerVision carts in one shot. Ended up only winning Springer :lol:

He thought it was a regular release thou, but he didn't buy it new so he really couldn't say for sure. He got a huge lot from a friend at work or something like that. Matterhorn was just part of the lot.

Matterhorn is listed down at the bottom in the "Endangered Cart" section. I don't know what to make of Espial or Matterhorn. When only 2 or three copies are known, its hard to believe it was a commercial release. Yet Krieg has a box for Espial. Its a mystery :?

A little more info - recently received a scan of a Matterhorn review in a German magazine from 1984. Was thinking that this might confirm the release. Unfortunately, the article says the copy they had was on eprom. In other words, a loaner/tester for the review.

You've got it right on CC and Seafox. CC shows up more than Seafox. Its just more desirable and hence the higher price. I've never seen a box or instructions for Seafox, but have a few times for CC. Now if you have a box for the 'fox :) , you might get a CC in trade from "old" Calli. :D

Missing carts - Yes, I haven't included a few carts that Krieg lists. Concepts for Darren, Tech-Sketch. Actually there are a lot more in the magazines of the day. At some point, it became easy to burn your own cart and it seemed everyone was peddling their own utilities via mail order. There is the Beaumont cart. Kept that on the list although no collector seems to have it. WAM is another. IMHO, these "we will burn you an eprom when we get your order" kind of carts are less important then the real sold in a store releases.

Hello all,

maybe this sheds some light on the issue of Espial/Matterhorn:

First of all, I have both in my collection (both got professionally made labels - so, definitively NO homebrews) - this confirms their existence :D

Second, I bought the Matterhorn in Germany from a (yes, you probably guess it) german guy. He told me that he bought the game complete with box and manual in a toy store near Munich (the box and manual were thrown away soon after the purchase :x). The distributor for Tigervision stuff (2600 and Atari 8-Bit) in Germany was Teldec - my Matterhorn cart has a Teldec-Label on the backside. Last month another german guy emailed me that he has seen a Matterhorn 15 years ago or so, also with Teldec label. This makes it very likely that these carts were released officially (at least in Germany).

But, unfortunately you do not find them every day :sad:

:arrow: I my opinion all Tigervision games under question have been officially released.

Cheers,

Andre

P.s.: The "Matterhorn" is a famous and hard to climb mountain in Switzerland. :arrow:

Not to get too far off topic but did you ever notice there appears to be a missing/unreleased Activision title?

CZ-001 83 River Raid

CZ-002 83 Kaboom!

CZ-003 83 MegaMania

CZ-004 84 Pitfall!

CZ-005 84 Dreadnought Factor, The

CZ-006 84 Keystone Kapers

CZ-007 84 H.E.R.O.

CC-008 83 Decathlon

CA-009 84 Beamrider

CZ-010 84 Zenji

CA-011 84 Pitfall II

CA-012 83 Space Shuttle: A Journey Into Space

CC-101 84 Zone Ranger

CC-102 84 Designer's Pencil, The

CC-103 ???????

CC-104 84 Pastfinder

I wonder if the missing title could be Toy Bizzare? I'm also curious as to why they kept changing the part numbering around (CZ to CA to CC).

Tempest

Matterhorn is listed down at the bottom in the "Endangered Cart" section. I don't know what to make of Espial or Matterhorn. When only 2 or three copies are known' date=' its hard to believe it was a commercial release. Yet Krieg has a box for Espial. Its a mystery :?

A little more info - recently received a scan of a Matterhorn review in a German magazine from 1984. Was thinking that this might confirm the release. Unfortunately, the article says the copy they had was on eprom. In other words, a loaner/tester for the review.

You've got it right on CC and Seafox. CC shows up more than Seafox. Its just more desirable and hence the higher price. I've never seen a box or instructions for Seafox, but have a few times for CC. Now if you have a box for the 'fox :) , you might get a CC in trade from "old" Calli. :D

Missing carts - Yes, I haven't included a few carts that Krieg lists. Concepts for Darren, Tech-Sketch. Actually there are a lot more in the magazines of the day. At some point, it became easy to burn your own cart and it seemed everyone was peddling their own utilities via mail order. There is the Beaumont cart. Kept that on the list although no collector seems to have it. WAM is another. IMHO, these "we will burn you an eprom when we get your order" kind of carts are less important then the real sold in a store releases.[/quote']

Didn't want to make it seem as if I was griping about your list, by the way -- I love it! :)

Andre, thanks for the info. Every little bit helps complete the picture.

It sounds like a "Mr. Do's Castle" situation. The ROMs were made up and the parent company decided to pull out of the business. Then some subsidiary like Teldec in Germany or Parker Bros in Canada decided to market the game. The parent company in this case was TigerToys. They closed the Tigervision division sometime in the mid-eighties. I think Tigertoys still exists today. At least the name exists as I think they were actually bought by someone else who kept the name as a marketing brand.

However :) , this is still just speculation. Finished copies of Lifespan and Da'Fuzz also exist, but no one considers them released. Stories of seeing a game in a store are interesting, but not conclusive. At this point, two copies are less than many titles have known prototypes.

My intention is to eliminate the "Endangered Cart" section. Its pretty well established that Tapper et al don't exist so I simply won't mention them at all. Instead, there will be a section for carts where only a few have been found including Mr Do's Castle. Some would like a list of unreleased and known prototypes, but I am not really interested in that. The DP guide does an excellent job on those with a lot of good information. According to DP, Tigervision had alot of other titles listed in their catalog. Now I wonder if they exist. :ponder:

• 3 weeks later...

I 100% believe that the Matterhorn that I (wrongfully) sold for $258 last year was an original. It looked just like the Espial and Springer carts that I had at the same time. Besides, why would anyone in their right mind create a Matterhorn cartridge back then? That game is abysmal! I laughed when I played it. Horrible. Now, let me tell you, I wish I had that baby back (it is located in Mississippi now ;o) - I belive the buyer's last name was Bowling, but I'm not 100% - probably still an avid eBayer, but I know he changed his user id from time to time

Anyway, my carts came from a co-worker who got all items from the former head of a Phoenix, AZ user's group. The items had been boxed up for years. I basically got about two blazer truck loads full of Atari 8-bit items (you guys would have went NUTS! -- I did!). I still have most of the loose disks. Just an amazing amount of software. Literally 100s of disks (maybe 1000s?), including the user group's catalogs, and tons, tons, tons of games. Some I have in my house, but most are boxed and on my shelves in my garage. I would post the name on the diskettes, but I do not want to bring undue attention to anyone.

When I first got this collection, the only cartridges that were in there were the three Tigervision games, so I figure that someone knew what they had and were keeping hold of them. I know that even though I was an extremely avid Atari fan from about 1981 - 1990, I had NEVER seen any Tigervision games in Kentucky. I would be embarrased to say what I got all of these items for, but oh well, what the heck -- $40!

Most of it was hardware. Computers galore, modified 800s, XEGS, 130XE, happy drives, etc, printers, and of course the disks. All catagorized with nice, custom labels. Any game imaginable.

I'd be happy to strike up any 8-bit questions with anyone - and of course am ready and willing to trade at any time for any cool stuff ;o)

Rob Catron

Frankfort, KY

I agree with you there, Andre. I believe the Matterhorn that I HAD ;o( was the real thing. Like I said in my previous post, I cannot imagine anyone in their right mind wanting to make a home brew or repro of that game, as it's one of the worst I have ever played.

At least Espial (which I had as well), and I think you won that one off of me last year -- was a decent game. I wish I had that baby back, too ;o)

Rob Catron

Frankfort, KY

Seeing as how there isn't a reference available on Atari Age does anyone have an idea of scarcity/worth on the following 8-bit carts?

BC's Quest for Tires

Popeye

ET Phone Home!

Star Trek Strategic Operations Simulator

My Opinion on the Rarity on these games, in an Atariage format would be

BC's Quest for Tires -- 5

Popeye - 4

ET Phone Home! - 3

Star Trek Strategic Operations Simulator - 4

The thing about 8-bit carts right off the bat, for me, anyway is that I think the rarity various tremendously by region. Most all of the local department stores here in kentucky in "the day" (Rose's, Hill's, K-mart, Sears, Heck's, etc) basically only carried the safe Atari titles. You had to go to dedicated computer stores (which there weren't even that many) in cities such as Lexington and Louisville to find any interesting items (about the rarest item that ever remember buying new was Broderbund's Choplifter! on Cartridge form in about 1982).

The only other third party cartridge games that I remember seeing (let alone buying) were the Sirius carts when the market crashed and they were sold cheaply and were a dime a dozen (I bought Fast Eddie and Turmoil new in the mid-80s). It's funny, now that I think about it, but aside from the above mentioned carts, I think the only other third party cart I bought was Thorn/Emi's Kickback.

Another statement that I don't feel fits on 8-bit carts (at least in KY) is the statement , "found in the wild". I have hit yard sale after yard sale, and the great US127 yard sale days for the last two years (the massive yard sale that stretches from northern KY to Alabama on Route US 127) and I have never found 8-bit carts in the wild.

I don't know about most of you guys, but I know that back then, times were a lot tighter, and, of course, being 12 - 16, my dear old mum had to buy me most everything, so I basically bought disk games, and only ones that I knew were good at that (like the Synapse titles), and me, being in KY, had to mail order most from those old online stores like Computability, etc

Oh well, enough of my long winded reminiscing (but it sure is fun ;o)

Rob Catron

I dunno, but I would rate Seafox as fairly rare.  In comparison with the Atariage scale, I would rate 7-8

Rob

Exactly, although I've gotten some feedback on rating it too high. There never seems to be more than maybe two a year show up on eBay. Of course, I don't see every item in every big lot sold.

Re Matternhorn, Espial: Once again, :( , no one is doubting that they are genuine carts. They are not fakes. But only two specimans exist. Very similar to Lifespan and Da'fuzz. Finished carts with labels but with no evidence, so far, that they were retailed.

It seems like to me that the rarest carts, that I would rank a one would be pac-man and star raiders. I had a cajillion of those at one time.

After that, though, not really sure. I think twos would be along the lines of Space Invaders, Defender, Galaxian, Qix, Missile Command, etc

As far as third part carts go, hmmm, I would have to really think about any I would personnally rate below a 4...I'll be back ;o)

Rob Catron

Frankfort, KY