IGNORED

Any NES homebrewers aroung here ?

Happy_Dude

Yup, although i've still got the L plates on NESAsm for the moment! =-)

i'm teaching myself through example and converting my own game Reaxion but, whilst the main core of the in game code works pretty much correctly i've hit a stumbling block; i can't seem to find a decent Win based screen editor for the NES, got any suggestions...?

So will we ever see NES homebrews in the AtariAge store? :ponder:

I've never even HEARD of someone doing a NES game before.

:D

2 woirds "Lockout Chip"

Even if you make the cart from SMB/DH carts you have region compatability issues

I can buy an Atari cart from AA fully assembled and ready to work on my Australian 2600.

but NES games would need to be sold as Board and Rom only and leave

the case and lockout chip to you.

Hmmm! Ive mainly seen many SMB (Super Mario Bros) hacks around but not really any Homebrews.

I never used to be too fond of the NES sound much, as it became irriating very quickly.

Just a question, curious to know, how many colours did the Nintendo (NES) have or how many could be displayed on the screen and once ?

Just a question' date=' curious to know, how many colours did the Nintendo (NES) have or how many could be displayed on the screen and once ?[/quote']

The NES can only display 16 colours on the screen simultaneously out of a possible colour selection of 256 colours.

Wow! thats not bad at all, since some machines can only display up to 4 colours out of a huge palette to select from.

I wonder how difficult NES Programming is, as ive had a go at Atari 2600 Homebrewing myself but got lost after Session 3. :ponder:

I wonder how difficult NES Programming is' date=' as ive had a go at Atari 2600 Homebrewing myself but got lost after Session 3. :ponder:[/quote']

Understanding 6502 assembly is a huge advantage.

Registers are addressed raw but I'm trying to put a NES.h file together at

the NESdev message boards ;)

NESdev : an invaluble source of help and info

http://nesdev.parodius.com/

It's been quite a while' date=' but I did a few professional NES games a while back. [/quote']

Lisenced ???

(just clutching for some potentialy official documentation ;) )

Did you use register "names" or raw addresses ?

enjoying the '2600 too much

Me too, but I'm just getting started, so studying 2 6502 machines is a heap of fun :)

(and I'm reading a book on the Z80 aswell)

It's been quite a while' date=' but I did a few professional NES games a while back. [/quote']

Lisenced ???

(just clutching for some potentialy official documentation ;) )

Did you use register "names" or raw addresses ?

Yes, licensed.

I couldn't possibly share any of that official documentation I have in my bookshelf, assuming I do have some which, of course, I don't.

Since we originally reverse-engineered the NES for our games (back in '86 or so), we (that is, BEAM Software) used our own documentation and register names. Eventually we were given the official documentation, but found our understanding of the machine was beyond those documents. We stuck with our original register naming which used such imaginitve names such as "V0", "V1" right up to "V7".

Cheers

A

hmm does anyone know if theres anywhere on the net, they will put homebrew NES games an real cartridges and sell them, like they do with the atari games here on atariage ?

would love to do a NES game, but if i cant try it out on the real thing, it wont be as fun to do.

I've looked into burning NES games, and its a lot different from the Atari burning, where one chip fits most. NES has a number of different mappers, so first you'd need a board with the correct mapper, and then you have to take your rom file, and split it for the 2 rom chips on each board. If someone does know how to do this though, I'd pay to have a copy of Earthbound for the NES

I'm not 100% on mappers yet but I think if all you need is the extra space

then you can use bankswitching .... Mapper 5 has extra RAM ....

Oh and if your using Mapper 0 you can just burn the PRG and CHR roms

and install them straight on a Mapper0 board in place of the masked roms. ;)

@Tennis & AtariYoungin, Ask Bratwurst here on AA or over at

Playnintendo.com, I beleive he's made some EPROM carts :)

• 2 weeks later...

in terms of homebrew distribution I think the Sega mastersystem would probably be easier to work with if games are kept to below 64k (or is it 32? i forget...) that way no bankswitching chips are needed and the only security involves sticking an 8-byte ID at the right address and checksumming the cart.

the upside is the hardware seems easier to manipulate than the NES but the downside is you'd need to learn Z80 (and i get the impression I'm around 6502 fans here. personally I prefer z80 but the best machines are all '02 based so what can you do? :) )

in terms of homebrew distribution I think the Sega mastersystem would probably be easier to work with if games are kept to below 64k (or is it 32? i forget...) that way no bankswitching chips are needed and the only security involves sticking an 8-byte ID at the right address and checksumming the cart.

the upside is the hardware seems easier to manipulate than the NES but the downside is you'd need to learn Z80 (and i get the impression I'm around 6502 fans here. personally I prefer z80 but the best machines are all '02 based so what can you do? :) )

Yep 32K for single chip SMS carts.

And because the SMS1 uses a bios and sms2 uses a Prg rom you "could"

install a custom bios like in the 7800 dev system and use a ram cart :D

btw, your confusing mappers with bankswitching. I still don't fully

understand either, I just know it's not the same thing.

btw2, does DASM compile Z80 code ?

Yep 32K for single chip SMS carts.

And because the SMS1 uses a bios and sms2 uses a Prg rom you "could"

install a custom bios like in the 7800 dev system and use a ram cart :D

btw, your confusing mappers with bankswitching. I still don't fully

understand either, I just know it's not the same thing.

btw2, does DASM compile Z80 code ?

Well my understanding of mappers from the GBC was that you wrote a number to a rom Address and another bir of memory appears ni the map at a given address so I assumed they're different terms for the same thing.

The BIOS on the mastersystem banks itself out once it hands control over to the cartridge though, so I don't think there's much (if anything) you can do with a hacked BIOS. all the interrupt entry points are then in the cartridges memory space so it's not like anything can be intercepted either.

I'm ready to be corrected on both points though :)

I don't know about DASM for z80 though - I'm using TASM myself

If someone does know how to do this though, I'd pay to have a copy of Earthbound for the NES

I'm still looking for the proper donor cart that uses an MMC3 mapper and battery backup. Zelda 2, Dragon Warrior, etc. use a strange MMC1 variation. :? I think Shadow Gate might work in this instance.

@Tennis & AtariYoungin, Ask Bratwurst here on AA or over at Playnintendo.com, I beleive  he's made some EPROM carts   :)

Right now I'm looking to make copies of Recca (Japanese exclusive shooter), I have the roms split, just need to get a proper donor cart, again. Super Mario Bros. 3 supposedly works. :P