IGNORED

I got my SIO2PC cable and a LOT more!

Gunstar

I ordered this from a guy off E-bay, but it seems he will sell them both on E-bay and through direct contact. I got mine for $40, he stopped the auction early as he said that was all he was looking for anyway($40). He told me he was making more. Anyway, this is a great deal, and a LOT more than I expected...You see, this isn't actually just the cable, this is BOTH the SIO2PC and 10502PC cables in ONE, then permanently connected to a brand new modified (with this cord) 1050 drive! This allows both SIO ports on the back of the 1050 to be free for all the other pheriphrials(did I spell that right?). This allows you to control everything from the 8-bit (PC drives, printers, modems, etc.), or just download stuff from the PC directly to this modified 1050. It uses 2 db9 (com port) connections for both interfaces and has one power and two "in use" led's for everything. But that's not all! This guy also sent me a cd-rom with not only every pc utility for transfering files to the 8-bit and vice versa that exist, but he also included every Atari emulator, 5200 and 8-bit rom images and bios, and what I believe to be the enire collection of 8-bit games (ATR images) right on the disk, an even more stuff I can't remember, something called Imagic that can handle every file type (.atr, .dcm, xformer, you name it). Plus, he also included a floppy disk for the 8-bit, that I haven't looked at yet, but I imagine it has some tasty 8-bit utilities for using all the pc hardware...

This guy went the whole nine yards and beyond, and you can't even get a regular 1050 drive from B&C or somewhere for 40 bucks! Just an SIO2PC cable costs 35! I reccomend this man to anyone who is interested in something like this. His name is Brian Stewart, a Canadian, and I just forgot his e-mail, but I'll get it and post it here right away!

O.K., here's Brian Stewart's e-mail:

pdks@hotmail.com

Just ask him about his modified 10502PC drives. He will help you get started with anything and everything you need and need to know. Or, look for his products on E-bay under vintage computers/atari, although you could end up paying more than $40 that way, maybe less...

I just recieved a follow-up e-mail from Brain Stewart stating that he currently has three more of 1050 drive/sio2pc combinations that will be ready as soon as he tests them. He Also indicated that he would make the "same type of deal" to anyone that contacts him. I payed a total of just over $50.00 with shipping&handling. He also said he has a new Atari st utilities/tools disc (cd) with 300+ megs of stuff for sale, he gave no price for this cd.

• 1 month later...

I thought that the SIO2PC cable connected to the Atari computer and not the disk drive (but I could be wrong).

Also, how easy is it to transfer .atr files from the web to an Atari floppy disk for use with an Atari computer/disk drive that is not connected with a pc?

Thanks,

Addie

quote:

Originally posted by Addie:

I thought that the SIO2PC cable connected to the Atari computer and not the disk drive (but I could be wrong).

Also, how easy is it to transfer .atr files from the web to an Atari floppy disk for use with an Atari computer/disk drive that is not connected with a pc?

Thanks,

Addie

There are two seperate cables, as I stated, the sio2pc(for hooking up the 8-bit to a pc and using the pc's hardware)and the 10502pc (for hooking a 150 directly to a pc and letting the pc use it). All the programs I tried for any of this suck except for the A.P.E program, I reccomend A.P.E '98. It has a sub-program that is used with the 1050&pc called prodisk or proimage or something. the .atr files *are* the correct format, actual disk images, like clones of the original, they only need to be written to atari disks with the prodisk(a.p.e) program to work. I have no idea how to transfer files to an 8-bit that is not connected to a pc, except with the use of the 1502pc cable and 150 drive. You would have to get the 8-bit online, which would require an MIO or black box floppy board, attach a harddrive, get a modem (I know the blackbox can handle 56k modems, but it sincs down to 19.2k). a terminal program like the kermit terminal emulator, an then you could get online through that, although it will be all text like the old lynx system or www before the internet exploded (Like the systems used years ago at colleges&Universities). VERY expensive upgrade that is made much easeir with the sio2pc, since you can use the pc's harddrives, modems, printers, etc. that way. the 10502PC is the easiest and most direct route, it's what I use, I will connect my atari through my sio2pc at some point, but I have recovered lost software, back onto atari floppies, with the 10502pc. I strongly erge you to forget about using a pc drive and the lame, undependable software, which is real old now anyway, to do the job. the A.P.E '98 software is compatible with windows '95-2000 and works wonderfully easily. I replied to your post on classic gaming forum to, sending you here...

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

[QB]windows '95-2000 and works wonderfully easily. QB]

For some reason.. the APE 98 has probems running on Windows ME.. I had to downgrade to the APE for DOS.. and that runs fine.. Like others.. I have tried many of the SIO2PC programs ad cables.. and the APE cables and program work the absolute best!!

I will be upgrading my PC to Windows XP when it is out.. and I will let you all know if the APE 98 runs on that.