IGNORED

Poll: Best "New" A8 Release of 2003?

davidcalgary29

What are your thoughts on the best new hardware/software release for 2003, and why? I think that re-packaged & pirated games in multi-cart format should be part of the discussion, if only because they've fomented such heated debate and discussion.

My pick: Sunmark's "5200 Multi-Cart Blast"

Why: Yes, these games are pirated hacks of copyrighted 5200 games. This cart is, however, also an excellent gaming value and has allowed me to throw away several decaying floppies. Atari sure isn't rushing to produce their own version of "Gremlins" for the 8-bits.

Will REAXION A8 be finished this year? So we might have a candidate .-)

At the moment, all that needs writing is the completion screen and the music - the latter is out of my hands [sack's busy trying to get a job but fingers crossed] but the completion screen won't take much time to do once i come up with a look i'm happy with.

To me, the AtariMax cartridges sound pretty incredible.  To be able to make your own multicart...

I agree with that! You can overwrite it anytime you are bored with the titles, too.

I'm waiting for analmux's dual antic/gtia upgrade to hit the streets before I pass judgement on the best hardware/software released in 2003. ;)

How is that?  It doesn't prevent anyone from using it in an illegal manner.

Steven is selling the hardware only, what you do with it is up to you and your own conscience. It doesn't facilitate piracy in the manner that the Happy disk drive upgrades did, it just gives you a different way of running your Atari 8-bit software.

Personally one of the big reasons I bought one, was so that my daughter could play some educational games on the old Atari in an easy manner. She likes Alphabet Zoo right now and it's a little hard for her (or mom) to boot up the sio2pc laptop, boot APE and find the image and then load it, etc... much easier to pop in a cartridge (which disables BASIC for you) and select (A) from a menu.

An added bonus is that I get to play with it as well! ;)

What with my failing disk drives, the AtariMax Flash Carts are definitely THE creation of the year, as far as I'm concerned!!!

:D

But yes, the Sunmark MultiCarts (especially Synapse) are a close second. But I love being able to create my own, personalized cartridges.

I so enjoy being able to put my favs in my own carts. And that 8Mbit cart... I'm in heaven here!!