IGNORED

2 versions of Qix

cx2k

Well, I've played both versions of Qix and can not find any difference between regular Qix and the Rev.7 Qix.

Anyone want to have a crack at it?

If you're interested in trying to find the differences between these two versions (preferably one of you technical wizards) let me know and I'll send you both versions to check out.

Email me at: jhardie@pipeline.com

John

I'm not sure what you mean by regular and rev. 7. The only two versions I know of are the one made for the 800 (8-bit computer line) and the one made for the 5200 (basically a 400). Dumped 5200 ROM images work on the 8-bit computers and emulators. I've heard the 5200 is faster and more colorful, although I havn't taken the time to try it yet. So which version are you calling regular and which rev. 7?

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

I'm not sure what you mean by regular and rev. 7. So which version are you calling regular and which rev. 7?

There were 2 versions released on cart by Atari for the computers. I'm not referring to the 5200 version.

I have a cartridge verifier program that was used by Atari to verify carts. It identifies 2 different versions of Qix. One comes up as Qix and the other comes up as Qix Rev. 7

The checksums for the carts is different but I haven't been able to see any differences in gameplay. I'm hoping someone more well-versed in disassembling code than me can find out what's changed between the two versions.

Any takers?

John

Ok, this is what I've been told.

The early version of Qix had a bug in it that made it crash at later levels. I'm not sure how high a level we're talking, but I've never had it happen to me and I'm pretty good so it must be fairly high. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but it would make sense (and would explain why you've never noticed a difference).

So tell me more about this cart verifier. It sounds really cool. Is it offical Atari Hardware? Where did you get it?

Tempest

This is easily done if you have images of both carts on your PC. Copy both of them to a directory and try this in dos mode...

FC /B QIX.BIN QIX7.BIN (or whatever they are named)

The differences will show up onscreen. Chances are, something was just NOPed over (that is how they fixed Basic, anyway)...but it could be a "level 0" type of bug (where the level counter rolls over and causes a carry bit error). Course you would have to beat 255 screens to see it.

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: Nukey Shay ]