IGNORED

Favorite game on 8-bit

Bill Lange

A short list of my faves:

1. Pharoah's Curse (my vote for the best Atari 8-bit game ever)

2. Encounter (nobody else mentioned this?!?)

3. Star Raiders

4. Lode Runner

5. Mr. Robot and his Robot Factory

5. Serpentine

6. Crossfire

7. Action Quest

8. Spindizzy

9. Jumpman

10. Deadline

oh... encounter is cool as well... what else has the guy coded???

there are so many gems left... most of the time just appearing when seen or played again on gamecube, ps2 or gba... like Joust & donkey kong...

finally THQ is publishing the "all in one" atari joystick with the games included so i hope to get that as well with the activision ps2 one... as i have the atari aniversary disc+williams arcade...

hve

ps. did capcom ever released on atari 8bit?

favorite first:

1. Oil's well- very addictive and gets ridiculously hard

2. Frogger II- good twist on the original

3. Track and Field- Best port IMHO

4. donkey kong- Best home system port again

5. Spy Hunter- decent port

least favorites:

1. Orc Attack- I just sold mine...Rare and all....But bad!

2. Zaxxon- Worst game on cartridge IMHO

3. Gato- hmmm....

4. Star Wars ROTJ- Who even thought of that bunk?

5. Super Cobra- Only have it to fill my PB collection...yechhh..

****Please note- All cart format

Well I'll agree with your favorites, but I question your least favorites:

>>1. Orc Attack- I just sold mine...Rare and all....But bad!

I dunno, I like this one for some reason. Strangely I got mine from England and it says it's by Creative Spraks. I wonder if Thorn EMI went under a different name in England? Chalk it up to a label variation I guess...

>>2. Zaxxon- Worst game on cartridge IMHO

You've got to be kidding me! I think this is the best version of Zaxxon around. Do you not like the way it plays or just don't like Zaxxon in general?

>>3. Gato- hmmm....

Yeah GATO is right up there with Ace of Aces and Flight Sim. If you like Simulation games and you bother to read the huge manual this one isn't too bad, but I don't really care for it.

>>4. Star Wars ROTJ- Who even thought of that bunk?

That would be Ray "Raymo" Miller. Personally I don't think this game is too bad, but it gets boring awful quick. I could have used another stage.

>>5. Super Cobra- Only have it to fill my PB collection...yechhh..

Ok this one IS bad. The scrolling is so choppy... But then agan I never liked Super Cobra to begin with!

Tempest

Tempest!!

Good call, but I'll give you my reasoning!!!! Remember its just my humble opinion though!!

1. Orc attack- I found the control to be horrible..It's very hard to maneuvor the little man between the castle turrets. No phenom on the visuals either. Absolutely nothing groundbreaking. I do on the other hand, love Crackpots for my 2600..I wish Activision had done a port for the 8 bit line!!

2. Zaxxon- I don't dislike the gameplay....The staticy sound of the ship moving up and down actually annoys me to the point where I must turn it off!!! It really gives me a headache...Gameplay good....Sound...horrendous!

3. We agree on Gato, for pretty much the same reasons.

4.Star Wars ROTJ- we basically agree here...But I must get bored even a little quicker!!!LOL

5. Super Cobra- AGree for the same reasons.

Hope this explains my reasoning a little, and that I didn't slam em' for the point of slammin them.

Best Regards, Julian Scott

Tempest with all due respect, Zaxxon on the 8 Bit Atari has to be the weakest computer conversion of all. The Synapse Zaxxon for the C64 is light years better. I think the reason the Atari version is so lacking is due to making it available to all the Atari systems. Where the C64 version used all 64k. I think this is true for several conversions. A pity more companies, Atari included did not take full advantage of the memory of the more expensive units. This has been a thorn in my side for years :) Zaxxon is probably my favorite arcade game...

Tempest with all due respect, Zaxxon on the 8 Bit Atari has to be the weakest computer conversion of all.

Really? I always thought it was pretty good (then again the only other versions I've played are the 2600 and arcade). What makes you think it's so crummy?

Tempest

My little list of ATARI 8-bit fave games.. in a random order and some very good games are left out , cos i can't rmember the names (mainly games produced in eastern europe)

*Zybex- this must be the best horizontal shooter

*International karate- imo the best version of all 8-bits

*Amourote - the most atmospheric game and by far the best for all systems i'm aware of.

*Bounty Bob- I'm not a huge fan of platformers but i know i played it lots, probably for the birds on the scoreboard ;)

*Henries house- excellent gfx

*Who dares wins II- probably not the best game, but i played it lots.

*Ninja

*warhawk

*Operation Blood- Great Operation Wolf clone. Supports ST/Amiga mouse

• 4 weeks later...

Xagon was such a great game, especically for a shareware title: lots of fun to play and extremely professional look and feel to it. Did you work on any other atari 8-bit titles, Adavie? Or did David Pentecost do anything else? Oh, and were there any secrets or hidden features hidden away in the game?

Xagon was such a great game, especically for a shareware title: lots of fun to play and extremely professional look and feel to it.  Did you work on any other atari 8-bit titles, Adavie?  Or did David Pentecost do anything else?  Oh, and were there any secrets or hidden features hidden away in the game?

I went on to program games professionally, so I have a few C64 NES and SNES titles under my belt. So does David. A couple of dozen between us, I think.

There were no hidden features in Qb, but XAGON had a few different types of hexagons which, if I recall correctly, didn't appear until later stages of the game. Teleporters and that sort of thing. Hidden features weren't a big thing back then.

Cheers

A

Of course Star Raiders is the classic that has not been equalled on any other platform (except maybe Alone Vs. the Empire Battlesphere, haven't played that one yet to compare).

But also, Atari's arcade ports were truly amazing for the 8-bit, a big step up from the 2600 counterparts, and certainly a big reason why Atari decided to do the 5200, with a stable of games like that.

I only scratched the surface of them when I got my 1200XL in 82/83, but I really really enjoyed Joust (fantastic gameplay feel, wonderful multiplayer, great sound) and Ms Pacman and Donkey Kong, and to a lesser extent Pole Position (I am not that big on racing games).

Also, the XEGS carts took some disk titles and made them ultra convenient to use, like Lode Runner, that stored all the levels on disk but still maintained disk routines so you could create your own levels.

I also had Archon on cart which was awesome.

I also enjoyed Accolade's Hardball which was the first baseball game I ever played that supported stats and player substitutions.