IGNORED

130XE vs XEGM

Bill Lange

Bop & Wrestle (by Mindscape?) for one, I know used the extra ram of a 130XE (or an upgraded 800XL) for faster game play (which was a disk based game, and accessed the disk for alot of the wrestling moves, but much faster when installed to a ramdrive). Most later Dos's used the extra ram also for ramdrives. But other than the few software titles out there that did utilize the extra ram, you won't miss it if you choose the XEGS, which I would suggest. Also you can get 130XE compatible ram upgrades. One downside though to the XEGS, it dousn't have an expansion connector as did the 130xe.

The reason I switched from my 130XE to a XEGS was the cartridge port. I couldn't stand searching for it on the back of the system! I do miss my Atari 800 though, is there a 64K upgrade for it that would allow you to play XE games or do they require an upgraded BIOS as well?

Tempest

there are quite a few games that make use of the extra ram of the 130xe, but almost all of these programs will work on a 64k or less computer too, they just either have some stuff missing without the extra ram; Questprobe games like spiderman and hulk (among others) have neat little animations that were stored in the extra ram and called upon at the proper point in the game, without the extra ram those animations do not run. Many larger games like the Alternate Reality series uses the extra ram to reduce disk swapping and extra load times. But there were a few, usually applications or graphic programs that ONLY ran on a 130xe as well as a few late model programs from eastern Europe (mostly). If you love games like Alternate reality, then the extra ram is a must (like in my case), but not necessary. The thing is though, that the 65xe AND the XEGS are ultimately just repackaged 800xl's, so unless your upgrade to a 130xe from the 800xl you already have, I don't see the point; the xe keyboards aren't as good and you lose the expandability of the 800xl expansion board (unless you get a 130xe which has an expansion board, that while different from the xl'x, was supported by the same companies and upgrades that supported the xl). So in my humble opinion, unless you go for the 130xe, your wasting your time and money as there is nothing better about the 65xe or xegs than what you already have...

The thing is though, that the 65xe AND the XEGS are ultimately just repackaged 800xl's, so unless your upgrade to a 130xe from the 800xl you already have, I don't see the point;  

That is a really good point, Gunstar. Man, Atari was the master at re-packaging their products.

We are planning on going to the show in Vegas in August. Would there be dealers selling 130XEs in the box there? I don't really want to get it from ebay because the cost will be high and you don't know what your going to get until it shows up at your doorstep.

I'll have to check out Best and B&C in the mean time.

quote:

Originally posted by Bill Lange:

That is a really good point, Gunstar. Man, Atari was the master at re-packaging their products.

We are planning on going to the show in Vegas in August. Would there be dealers selling 130XEs in the box there? I don't really want to get it from ebay because the cost will be high and you don't know what your going to get until it shows up at your doorstep.

I'll have to check out Best and B&C in the mean time.

I recently got a replacement 130xe off of E-bay for $40 INCLUDING shipping. So that statement isn't totally accurate. Also, B&C is the real rip-off, they are selling the 130xe for the same exact retail price that Atari suggested over 17 years ago! That, to me, is ridiculous. Your best bet for a reasonably priced, new, 130xe IS E-bay, you just might have to follow a few auctions to get it...

Yeah I dont know what the deal with Bruce selling the systems at the original prices is. He's really reasonable on the games ($10 boxed, $5 loose), and sells alot of hard to find items fairly cheap. But for some reason he's always been high on the hardware. If you look around I'm sure you can get a 130XE for under $50. Just make sure they have a return policy since my 130XE is sitting on a shelf with a non-working keyboard.

Speaking of which, is there a way to fix the keyboard? It's really strange, certain columns of letters work (WSX for instance) but others don't (EDC for example). Any ideas? Any fix probibly isn't worth the expense, but it bugs me that I have a perfectly good 130XE here and the keyboard is shot.

Tempest