IGNORED

Anybody ready to pay for a new game ? Acceptable Price ?

andy_bernstein

From andy_bernstein

I thought of this for a long time but who, among you guys, would be ready to shell out any money ($29.99 ?) for a brand new game under cartridge form ? (w/ box and manual)  

With a little bit of organization and Einstein sized brains like Analmux and others, it wouldn't be impossible to create a game design team and have them earn a little something to motivate the effort.  

From lord-chaos

I have made some games , most not 100% finished and I also have lots of useless Crossbow carts for making cartridge games, but unfortunately my very expensive ATARI system does not work anymore and  

all the stuff is on 5.25" disks, most double or quad density.  

I have a 130XE with Oldrunner and 16K Bibomon and an XF551 + 2 Double Density Drives and a normal 1050 and 810 and a Black box.  

But seems to have been damaged over the years and I can´t access my data anymore.  

BTW.  

BASIC games could be compiled with the TURBO BASIC Compiler or a normal BASIC Compiler and cart versions could be possible.  

So even BASIC programmers could write games and release compiled versions on carts, if the cart works like a "disk-drive".  

From Goochman

None of my old Basic games compiled correctly with the Basic Compilers available during the day - I had a few ML routines to fancy things up and those didnt work. My PMG stuff always broke  

Midnight Topic: Because I flaked out of my portable XE project, I am redirecting my energy toward re-learning Basic and hopefully a more advanced language. I programmed a few simple games in Basic as recently as the early nineties (I typed all these Antic / A-Explorer listings too !) but nothing worth transferring to a cartridge. Anyway, if a truly good game comes around, in cartridge form with at least a manual and why not a typical Atari box, would you be willing to invest in it and what would be your investment ? (we mentioned $ 29.99 in a previous topic).

All opinions are welcome.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz...AB.

$29.99 seems very reasonable for a new game considering the time required to make a truely new game, plus the cost of producing hardware.

If anyone does have new Atari 8-bit games they would like to publish in cartridge format, I can produce them in flash-cartridge format, with custom labels, on zero-investment basis with royalties paid per-cartridge sold.

Games can be any format, assembler, BASIC, disk-based, etc. Carts can be ready for sale in less than a day, from testing to mailing.

@ classic

Thank you for your proposal. I'm far from having anything worthwhile to publish but now I know you're here (BTW - thanks for that SIO2PC cable a long time ago).

I just went to Sunmark and they charge $39.99 for Rampage (which is 13 years old at best) so, yes, a $ 29.99 price tag is very reasonable. Suddenly, something like $ 39.99 - $ 49.99 doesn't seem crazy to me any longer (especially when they charge $45 for Klax 5200 complete with box, manual and atari 5200 cart).

Question for all members of the ATARI-8 forum, do you think we live in the land of freeware ? I know that some of you would be willing to pay for a new game so: between Analmux game on a Flash cartridge (with box and manual) and just the ROM that you would upload by yourself to your own Flash Cartridge, where would your preference go ?

Please consider the time investment spent into a new game - we're not talking about a 20 years old piece of software.

AB.