IGNORED

Graph2fnt

emkay

new g2f (25.03.2006) http://g2f.atari8.info

p.s.

all g2f files from Forever 7 (with Victory gfx) -> release 3.8.4.4 (26.03.2006)

Thank you the fixed version. Now I can finalize my picture. (Result will be

posted here soon.)

I still found some minor bugs, but they aren't so bad that they prevent

the completion of my artwork. Let me know if you like a report.

Just one question: Since you haven't changed the limit in the new version,

the maximum change count for a 32-byte-width screen IS 4?

Edited by Irgendwer

I still found some minor bugs, but they aren't so bad that they prevent

the completion of my artwork. Let me know if you like a report.

Tebe is likely to know it (still) so go on with it.

Besides, do you know "CUNEIFORM" (a C64 charset editor on PC, similar to G2F in idea) ?

It's here. And it isn't under development, but

wouldn't it be cool to analyse this and take the best things to G2F? What do you know? Any reasonable suggestion? ;)

Well at least it may come some new idea within G2F, I guess... ;)

yes, send me bug report (tebe6502[at]o2.pl)

CHANGE LIMIT PER LINE:

MODE DLI (char mode)
	Pixel=1	 Pixel=2
  48b	 2		   4
  40b	 3		   4
  32b	 4		   6

MODE GED+ (char mode)
	Pixel=1	 Pixel=2
  40b	 4		   4
  32b	 4		   4

MODE GED- (bitmap mode)
	Pixel=1	 Pixel=2
  40b	 3		   3
  32b	 4		   4

Edited by tebe

Result will be posted here soon.

Have fun.

Very nice!

But: did you try it on real HW? There's a little bit destroyed picture on my PAL machine. The top and the bottom are running out of TV screen... Can some G2F expert check the source file for possible errors?

F.

Edited by _Fandal_

I thought when the 'Check'-

functions reports no errors, the image is ok?!?

What is the reason for the problem?

I guess you could have used too many screenlines. They all could be OK as regards color changes, etc.

but ANTIC doesn't handle too many screenlines to display, I think. So that's what causes trouble and it's not detected

in check-option at the same time...

This may also lead to conclusion that there should be limits on available amount of height in G2F to prevent such bug.... ;)

Edited by Dracon

Running any 1/2 colour-clock mode on line 239 will cause warping. Other modes should be fine.

Yes... Because 240 lines definatly can be displayed.

I even forgot about this 1/2 colour mode issue when we created the "first" Nazgul Intro. The last line set to mode 2 and the screen rolled over.

Additional: I just tested, same applies to GTIA modes.

Strangely, my capture card reproduces the warping in the exact way that it happens on a TV. So, it must be some sort of bug in ANTIC.

Putting it into widescreen DMA even makes my capture card do a "vertical hold roll" effect.

I guess you could have used too many screenlines. They all could be OK as regards color changes, etc.

but ANTIC doesn't handle too many screenlines to display, I think. So that's what causes trouble and it's not detected

in check-option at the same time...

This may also lead to conclusion that there should be limits on available amount of height in G2F to prevent such bug.... ;)

Ok, but what I did not understand is, that my former picture 'Tribute to Thyness' uses the same displayline count and seems

to make no problems, since 'fandal' included this image to his pages without any complain and AFAIK tested this also on

a real machine!?!

I like to have an explanation which enables me to overhaul the Crises image by using the maxium capabilities possible...

(Maybe to make it more 'Tribute to Thyness' compatible than just removing the lowest line which IMHO destroys the impression

of the picture....)

Could it be that it depends on the basic image character (1x1 / 2x1)???

(Eventually we discovered a new behaviour of the machine that even the A800 developers not were aware of?)

Questions, questions...

Like I said before, it's a 1/2 colour clock mode on line 239 which will cause the warping.

ie- BASIC modes 0 and 8. And including GTIA variants (9 to 11).

Any other mode if fine.

AFAIK, no emulator replicates the behaviour. Probably because it has no good use.

Like I said before, it's a 1/2 colour clock mode on line 239 which will cause the warping.

Any other mode if fine.

AFAIK, no emulator replicates the behaviour. Probably because it has no good use.

...and like I said, an other image uses basic mode 8 in these lines and seems to have no

problems. Could you please confirm that Fandal?

Any other mode if fine.

...and like I said, an other image uses basic mode 8 in these lines and seems to have no

problems. Could you please confirm that Fandal?

Tribute to Thyness has the same problem on real HW.

F.

Buahaaaaa. :sad:

(Is this new to you, or did you know that since publishing? I thought you

check all images on real hardware before publishing them on your page. :? )

Think, I have to overwork this image too. Time to reactivate my real

machine and to perform some tests by myself.

Stay tuned for updated versions...

Buahaaaaa. :sad:

(Is this new to you, or did you know that since publishing? I thought you

check all images on real hardware before publishing them on your page. :? )

Think, I have to overwork this image too. Time to reactivate my real

machine and to perform some tests by myself.

Stay tuned for updated versions...

Well, you're right, I'm testing every piece of stuff published on my site. The problem is, that my real Atari HW is connected to PC TV card. And sometimes I get a "vertical hold roll" effect while TV set displays the same screen corretly. Unfortunately, I didn't test "Tribute to Thyness" on TV set as I thought there's just another problem with my TV card. "Crises" could be the same story. I just had enough appetite for switching antena output to TV set. And the rest you know.

F.

Well, you're right, I'm testing every piece of stuff published on my site. The problem is, that my real Atari HW is connected to PC TV card. And sometimes I get a "vertical hold roll" effect while TV set displays the same screen corretly. Unfortunately, I didn't test "Tribute to Thyness" on TV set as I thought there's just another problem with my TV card. "Crises" could be the same story. I just had enough appetite for switching antena output to TV set. And the rest you know.

Thank you for the explanation.

I did some tests on the real thing and found some interesting features:

The lower color stripe can be made invisible (like in TTT): It is 709.

If 709 is invisible in the FIRST line, the lower area is also invisible.

The upper banding can be made also invisible: It seems that 704 is responsible for colouring

in 32 byte width mode. Unfortunately the movement of the scanlines from right to left on

the first mode line stays (like in TTT). I haven't found any fix for that.

But I found another 'glitch': Interestingly there is a second bug or Atari know the first one

and try to workaround it:

If you build a DL with modelines of mode '3' (same as mode 2/GR.0 but with 10 scanlines per

modeline) you can build a screen of 24 modelines without any distorsion (which normally

would mean 240 scanlines in a 'mode 2 compatible look' - but wait: The last but one mode

line is a mode 2 line with only 8 scan-lines!!! So someone cheats here!

Eventually someone could check this on real hardware too, to verify this antic

'workaround'...

Beside this I fixed my images and attached them (last line is now 2x1). So please update

you files accordingly.

Because I try not to bore you, there is also a new one which doesn't took so much time...

@Tebe: I would appreciate it, if you could block G2F-mode 1 & 4 for the last mode line (allow

just 0 and 2). This would prevent the situation I ran into...

TTJT.zip

crises.zip

QE2.zip

post-7778-1143883116_thumb.png

• Like 1

Thank you for the explanation.

Beside this I fixed my images and attached them (last line is now 2x1). So please update

you files accordingly.

Because I try not to bore you, there is also a new one which doesn't took so much time...

Updated...

F.

Updated...

F.

Thanks. A short information on your news page regarding the update would be nice,

since you modified the old image by yourself with a garbled result and the download

counter indicated that there were some people which downloaded your modified

version allready.

BTW: I'm not a friend of publishing modified versions under my name...

(Beside the fact that I understand your intention.)

Edited by Irgendwer

BTW what about colors? The Fandals screenshot of Crises is very different to the one above.

Yes, this like Fandal allready mentioned depending on the palette used for emulation

(like a adjustment of your tv-set when using the real machine.)

The palette which is delivered with G2F represents something like an optimal color representation.

AFAIK this cannot be reached with the original hardware. On the other side the palette of Fandal's

screenshots represent IMHO a more or less suboptimal color variancy which is easily topped by my

real machine. But this a dangerous subject, because different emulation palettes can be regarded as

different religions... ;)

IMHO the 'true' depiction of the image is 'in the middle' of both screenshots...

BTW: @Tebe: Loading of color palettes in G2F would be a nice enhancement.

BTW: @Tebe: Loading of color palettes in G2F would be a nice enhancement.

For God sake... NO :-o

The pallette is the most accurate to the XL series. On the XE ony one colour isnt that correct, but that is a problem of the different machines. Actually I don't know, why Fandal uses the fully "off" pallette...

free changing of pallettes ends in chaotic results....